Chapman ties record, beats Hogs - Tulsa World (3-28-2007)

ORUTerry

Chapman ties record, beats Hogs

Link

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

3/28/2007

ORU right-hander strikes out 17 in win over seventh-ranked Arkansas.

Chance Chapman's arm and ORU's magic at home was just enough Tuesday.

Chapman tied a school-record with 17 strikeouts and the Golden Eagles improved to 10-0 at J.L. Johnson Stadium with a 5-3 victory over No. 7 Arkansas.

"I couldn't imagine it (17 strikeouts)," Chapman said. "Arkansas is a very tough team; probably the toughest I'll face this year and I knew I had to hit my spots or I'd get pounded like I did in the home run in the fourth inning."

Arkansas, which took a 3-0 lead in the fourth on yet another home run by first baseman Danny Hamblin, put runners at first and second base with two outs in the ninth, but center fielder Kelly Minissale ended things in dramatic style when he ran down Jake Dugger's long drive in the gap and caught the ball on the warning track.

Chapman now shares the strikeout record with Steve Cain, who struck out 17 Southern Nazarene batters in 1971.

"It was a special performance. It was as good an effort as I've seen in a while," said ORU coach Rob Walton. "It brought back memories of Michael Rogers, (Michael) Rose and (Dennis) Bigley. We needed that."

Arkansas fell to 19-8. ORU (12-11) has won eight of their last 11 games.

ORU beat Arkansas in the first round of the Fayetteville Regional last year, and also prevailed 5-4 in a regular-season meeting, ending Arkansas' nine-year winning streak in Tulsa.

The Golden Eagles came in 0-7 against ranked teams after going 9-4 last season.

In his third start of the season, Chapman (3-0) threw 149 pitches. He pitched a career-high 8 2/3 innings, gave up two earned runs, scattered five hits and walked three.

ORU second baseman Jake Kahaulelio, who came in batting .444 in his last seven games, smacked a pitch from Brian McLelland (1-1) into a tree past the left field fence to give the Golden Eagles a 5-3 lead.

ORU trailed 3-0 early but got an RBI single from Chad Rothford in the fourth inning (Rothford, hitting just .198 coming in, had three hits) and a solo home run from Carter McQuigg in the sixth inning.

Hamblin hit his fifth home run in his last three games at Johnson Stadium.

I didn't realize that Big Chad was having such batting trouble this year.  He got the job done last night, though!