ORU's Chances against OU?

TheGuttedOne

Taj Gray and Kevin Bookout are good.

We are going to have to get them in foul trouble. Caleb will have to go after whoever is guarding him and get them into foul trouble.

It will be a low scoring game because of the good defense that OU plays.

Bookout guarding Mickey is be a mismatch because of the height (Bookout 6'8") and shooting advantage the Mickey would have. Bookout is a force but he can't guard all of Mickey's shooting range.

They have the height advantage at guard so it will be hard for Bluitt and Tutt to get off uncontested shots. They are both going to have to drive to create space and create their own shots on the ball.

If we play a complete game on both sides of the ball then ORU will win the game. OU has weaknesses that Tulsa and Villanova pointed out. If we sub a lot of players and press all game then we can create the turnovers to win.

I like our chances if we stay out of foul trouble and can get Gray into foul trouble.

ORU got no love from the officials when OU played at the Mabee Center in 1995. I think Earl McClellan fouled out that game guarding Ryan "Don't breathe on me or its a foul" Minor. Of course OU's offense consisted of three players standing in line to set picks for Minor. But I digress.

At OU, I expect the officiating to be borderline unfair toward ORU. I am really concerned that the refs will quickly get Caleb into foul trouble and not return the favor on the other end. I have seen too many OU games against non-ranked, non-big-12 opponents to think otherwise.

To win, ORU will have to shoot extremely well and be solid on the defensive glass. OU plays a good pressure defense that we will have to figure out how to handle. We may need to have two ball handlers in the game at all times.

the state of officiating in college and pro sports, especially basketball, frustrates me to no end...

I'm a huge Tim Duncan fan but it makes me mad when I hear an announcer say that somebody like Duncan or Jordan back in the day are going to see a lot of calls go their way because of who they are. If its a foul, call a foul. If its not, don't. Officials are human - I don't expect 100% accuracy but good lord it bothers me to look at standings and rankings and think that officials, instead of players, had an effect on them. I wish officials could just live in a box and only come out to officiate games so that they know nothing about the two teams when they step on the court...

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think our chances are at taking down OU at their home court?

Personally, I'm more concerned about Missouri State (and Louisiana-Lafayette and Utah State) before I can get all wired up about OU. There's a LOT of basketball to be played before Christmas (and the OU game)!!

I totally agree.... let's stay focused on the game at hand against Missouri State - a very good basketball team.

BTW, Utah State hammered Middle Tennessee at home tonight (72 to 55). This is the same team that they lost to by one point a couple of weeks ago. They are a very tough team at home....

Front Bookout and deny Grey... easy to shut them down, even terrible TU did it. Make their guards beat you by shooting. Their guards are big and physical and a total mismatch for ORU, Tutt/Bluitt are not near as physical.

The key to the OU matchup is Larry Owens, get him untracked early and often and ORU can win....

ash =o)

Guest EagleBackr

...ORU has never played a Kelvin Sampson-led Sooner team even close. Last time out in 2003 was respectable at the end, but was never in doubt. OU has always been FAR more physical and deep, plus the advantage of playing us in Norman or Oklahoma City with their officials. Would take a SUPREME effort, plus a letdown from an OU team playing before a holiday crowd, with no students, and the football donors all in San Diego for their bowl game the next night. I'm fearing something similar to the Maryland game in the NIT: tight at times, but too many negating factors leading to a double-digit OU victory. I hope they prove me wrong!

Hard to win on the road - ask the Sooners about Villanova.

Sooners held a nice lead in the first half that was erased by officiating. Similar to what happened to ORU at Maryland after the technical foul on Gary Willliams.

Guys Wed is the big game. Going to Utah St. is a nightmare. The place up there goes crazy for home games. Probably will be the best atmosphere that ORU will play in. Neither OU or Minn. will be close to the same. OU is huge so it will be difficult really have to shoot the ball well to stay close and have a chance there. Minn is winnable.

Guys Wed is the big game. Going to Utah St. is a nightmare. The place up there goes crazy for home games. Probably will be the best atmosphere that ORU will play in. Neither OU or Minn. will be close to the same. OU is huge so it will be difficult really have to shoot the ball well to stay close and have a chance there. Minn is winnable.

I'd imagine that the Utah State crowd won't be as good as normal. Students will be gone and they make up half the crowd at USU from what I've heard.

The crowd will even be better - since we're planning the trip (weather permitting) to the Utah State game in two weeks! Should be a great game in Logan - a tough place to win! Definitely a different atmosphere than last year's trek to Utah VALLEY State. Keep the snow off of the roads and we are THERE!

I agree with Ash, but will add that your guards will need some screens to get their shots off. TU's Pressure wasn't great but the defendedthe big guys really well. If Grey and Owens are matched up , I believe Owens can creat similar problems he had at TU.

There is always a shot, but you all gotta believe.