Tulsa World Picker - (3-16-2007)

ORUTerry

I missed the second half, but I didn't see any flopping in the first half.  Someone made a barely lucid comment about players laying on the floor on the Valpo board, which I assumed was a reference to our team, but wasn't sure. 

After we told the WSU fans that we didn't flop, did we actually resort to it in the second half?

The Picker is for sure right about one thing - the Mid-Con doesn't prepare a team for a team like WSU.  Scott said as much in the post-game interview.

P.S.  While stating the glaringly obvious, the Picker really doesn't have any suggestions on how ORU might step up in conference affiliation from the Mid-Con.  There are a multitude of reasons why the Mid-Con is a good fit for ORU - but preparation for playing a top 15 team in the NCAA Tournament doesn't happen to be one of them.

Just curious, does the Picker revel his actual identity or does the Einstein hide behind his nomme de plume?

He hides behind his alias... Part of his allure. I think it is Jay Conley - a TU partison and feature writer/columnist

I missed the second half, but I didn't see any flopping in the first half.  Someone made a barely lucid comment about players laying on the floor on the Valpo board, which I assumed was a reference to our team, but wasn't sure.

I heard the ORU play-by-play team actually say that Caleb flopped on offense one time, and I think it was in the 2nd half.

He hides behind his alias... Part of his allure. I think it is Jay Conley - a TU partison and feature writer/columnist

I've always loved the "journalistic" approach of creating a catchy nick name and throwing a lot of bombs at people.  Creates real accountability for the writer.

My favorite part of the article is where the picker says "well:see" as if he had called it, however if you'll notice his previous blog right below he has ORU winning over WSU.... A fair-weather fan indeed, but I actually think that term gives him TOO MUCH credit!

I've always loved the "journalistic" approach of creating a catchy nick name and throwing a lot of bombs at people.  Creates real accountability for the writer.

Or then you have Jay Mariotti who specializes in this without the catchy nick name.

His name is Jay Cronley - he also has a regular column in the Tulsa World, and has written several best-selling books, and movie screenplays based on those books, including "Funny Farm" with Chevy Chase and one about gambling that starred Bill Murray and Gena Davis.  He played baseball at OU, and is also an avid horse racing enthusiast.

And even when he's picking on us, he's one of the most insightful (and definitely the funniest) sports satirists in the country.

Sorry about the name.... I was close though. I think Jay (and the Picker) are actually witty at times and I actually enjoy the Picker's irreverance in jabbing the local schools and sports personalities. It's refreshing to read a contarian view though sometimes he is too cynical.

Jay Cronley

He is a must read for me almost every morning. His view of the things we confront every day are presented in a way that makes you smile when they happen again.......if only he could have made us smile about the disappointment.

After we told the WSU fans that we didn't flop, did we actually resort to it in the second half?

The Picker is for sure right about one thing - the Mid-Con doesn't prepare a team for a team like WSU.  Scott said as much in the post-game interview.

I know I made a comment about how WSU seemed to stop Caleb by sending him to the free throw line, which is 15 feet from the basket and lies on the floor. This was due to seeing the second half and how Caleb seemed to overshoot many of his second half charity shots. I guess I just don't see how he can be in such a big game like this one was and not concentrate more on how he should shoot the free throw. I mean its not the comforts of the Mid-Con where he knew that he could make up for it on defense or in a turnaround jumper or something on the inside. I think if Scott Sutton had really thought about it, maybe having Caleb working learning to dribble before he shot free throws and get a better feel for the ball, he might have made critical free throws in many of the games that you guys felt ORU could have won that were non-Mid Con games.

That's the same shooting style he's used for four years, which was merely good enough to set school and conference records for most free throws made in a season and a career.  Most nights he would hit 70%-80% shotting quickly like that, but a few nights he wouldn't.

Caleb just didn't have a good game Thursday, in a lot of ways.  He would be the first to admit it, and actually did so in his post-game comments.