Passion and Intensity

oruvoice

Why can't we play with the same passion and intensity against all of our opponents, they way we do against TU???

If we can...NCAA tourney and 25 wins here we come.

Wednesday night is HUGE for so many reasons. We REALLY need to win that game!

Why can't we play with the same passion and intensity against all of our opponents, the way we do against TU???

Wednesday night is HUGE for so many reasons. We REALLY need to win that game!

How true, Voice!! Wednesday's game is bigger than any on our schedule this month. Most don't expect us to win at OU or UM, but to lose on Wednesday on our home court would send the type of "expected" signal that we have sent in previous years - that we choke after a highly emotional game.

Somehow we need to play with the level of intensity we saw in the first 15 minutes last night for AT LEAST 30 minutes (I'm not asking for a whole game, just the majority of it!!). Even if we blow out the first half by 24 points, we need to learn to win the second half, too - even if it is by one point. Our bench is better this year than in previous years and they can help keep a lead in place while the first team gets a breather. There's no reason we can't have a goal of winning each half individually.

I will go out on a limb and say that I can guarantee an ORU win every game if we win each half (and I don't even need to be an accountant to feel confident in saying that!!) :lol:

AMEN!!!!! I am not sure who to blame but ORU pretty much plays flat in every loss or tough game against an outmatched opponent. If ORU plays like they do against TU for every game on the schedule they only will lose a coupld games all year. ORU should be 5-0

ash =o)

Guest EagleBackr

Guys, I gotta go a different direction on this one. With the possible exception of the first half against St. Greg's, when have we NOT played with passion and intensity? I mean, the TU game was the first game I've seen all year where Mickey or someone else didn't lay flat out for a loose ball or go flying over press row to steal a pass! We've played HARD all season. The difference against TU was we played WELL - offensively and defensively. Emotion is great, but it can ebb and flow during the course of the game. Good shooting, smart passing, keeping mistakes to a minimum, making free throws, hitting the boards, playing good "D" - that's what will win the game in the long run.

Good point, EB. Sometimes being to super emotional for every game can wear a team out. Why not concerntrate on being consistent and disciplined on offense, and focused on defense. There will be times for the players to get emotional over a game (Mo State cause of Barry for Scott, Oakland for obvious reasons, UMKC, and Valpo).

Gotta agree with Bogus on this one. Besides how can you argue with the flawless logic of winning both halves each game!

I can think of about 10 minutes in the Utah State game in which we made numerous turnovers and missed free throws at critical moments. There were also about 20 good minutes of ball in that game...but we need more than 20 minutes to stay up with Mo State, Utah State, OU, & Minn. Last night they showed that they can do it.

There was a great article on the CollegiateInsider website about learning to close the deal, and how critical it is for a mid-major to learn this. We have the talent. We have to learn how to keep the opponent down once we get them down and that is INTENSITY.

Not only did we play well, intensity included, but I really believe I saw a more intense coach Sutton than ever before. Several times I saw him on his feet pumping up his defense as the shot clock was winding down. Made me want to jump out of the stands, throw on a jersey, and go to battle for the general! It's about time. I guess after Bill Self and Barry Hinson, I was looking for someone a tad more emotional. Looks like my expectations are coming to pass, eh?

Good point, EB. Sometimes being to super emotional for every game can wear a team out. Why not concerntrate on being consistent and disciplined on offense, and focused on defense. There will be times for the players to get emotional over a game (Mo State cause of Barry for Scott, Oakland for obvious reasons, UMKC, and Valpo).

This year's ORU/Valpo games are going to be amazing. I mean, all predictions and egos aside, both games are going to be highly-charged, emotional, hard-fought games.

One of many reasons college basketball is infinitely better than the NBA