Missouri State (formerly known as, Southwest Missouri State)

Guest Rob Marshall

Guest Rob Marshall

Step back to the 1998-99 season, the most recent time the "SMS" Bears last went to the NCAA tournament (Steve Alford was the Bears' head coach for four seasons and 1999 was his only trip to the NCAA tournament at SMS).  That season, "SMS" finished 21-11 overall and 11-7 in the Valley (third place behind Evansville and Creighton).  The Bears went a combined 0-5 against Evansville and Creighton, including a semifinals loss to the Jays in the Valley tournament.  They went 8-2 in their non-conference schedule, with a highlight win against Mizzou during the pre-season NIT (Missouri turned out to be an NIT team that season).  The only "true" non-conference test that season for SMS was a very disappointing 25 point loss to Stanford, 76-51.  Additionally, it's important to note the MVC was not rated among the top ten conferences by RPI that season, yet got three invitations to the big dance in 1999.

This year's Missouri State Bears feature the following resume:  22-10 overall, including a win over Wisconsin (TBA as a one or two seed tomorrow evening for this year's tournament), 3rd place regular season finish in their league with a 13-7 Valley record (the MVC ranks 6th in conference RPI, one spot ahead of the Big 12); RPI: 38; SOS: 40; and the Bears went 5-0 this year against Wichita State and Bradley (both sweet sixteen teams from last season's NCAA tournament).

Answer me this, how does this Missouri State Bears team get left out of the dance in 2007, when they have a better resume than the last Bears team to get invited?  Hate to say it, but as things develop, it certainly looks like Coach Hinson will be left out again.  Thoughts and opinions?

There have been a lot of teams that won their tournament that some would say "should not have." That means less bubble teams.

I think it says a lot about the quality of the fans when you see a guy like Barry Hinson produce, but the bar that he's having to reach keeps getting higher, and they don't give him the benefit of the doubt.  How many times has SMS been to the tournament over the years?  To read their board, it's a birthright.  They think they should be there AT LEAST every other year, maybe more.  It's interesting to see that they only went ONCE under Alford.

While I hate to see anyone lose their job, I've thought for a long time that Barry would be better off away from that miserable place.

Guest Rob Marshall

I think it says a lot about the quality of the fans when you see a guy like Barry Hinson produce, but the bar that he's having to reach keeps getting higher, and they don't give him the benefit of the doubt.  How many times has SMS been to the tournament over the years?  To read their board, it's a birthright.  They think they should be there AT LEAST every other year, maybe more.  It's interesting to see that they only went ONCE under Alford.

While I hate to see anyone lose their job, I've thought for a long time that Barry would be better off away from that miserable place.

MVC commissioner, Doug Elgin, believes Missouri State is in and thinks the Valley has an outside shot at getting four (4) bids again after last season's showing (two teams, Wichita State and Bradley, advancing to the sweet sixteen).  If Barry's Bears don't make it and Purdue (a twenty point loser to Valley bottom feeder, Indiana State, earlier this season) and/or Syracuse (loser at home to Wichita State) do, that would be an absolute travesty.

Rob, you are going too far back. Go back to last year when MSU was inexplicably left out in the most egregious wrong ever perpetuated by the selection committee. They finished 2nd in the 6th hardest conference, had the highest RPI in the conference at 21, the hardest OOC schedule in the conference, a SOS in the top 50 (same as Wisconsin's sched this year) and they were left out. The NCAA leaned heavily and exclusively on their record against the top 50 as a lame excuse for not inviting them.

In every single criteria, MSU is worse this year, if they DO get invited this year, it just proves how bad last year was and how they feel they need to make up for it. They should have gone BOTH years IMHO.

ash  =o)

Their ONLY chance is for the selection committee to recognize the mistake they made last year and correct that by inviting the Bears this year.... don't think it will happen.

Oh ok, cool.  So we are going to talk about ORU basketball after all.  I'll read this thread, then.  :wink:

Guest Rob Marshall

Rob, you are going too far back. Go back to last year when MSU was inexplicably left out in the most egregious wrong ever perpetuated by the selection committee. They finished 2nd in the 6th hardest conference, had the highest RPI in the conference at 21, the hardest OOC schedule in the conference, a SOS in the top 50 (same as Wisconsin's sched this year) and they were left out. The NCAA leaned heavily and exclusively on their record against the top 50 as a lame excuse for not inviting them.

In every single criteria, MSU is worse this year, if they DO get invited this year, it just proves how bad last year was and how they feel they need to make up for it. They should have gone BOTH years IMHO.

ash  =o)

ash, guess I didn't make it clear, but my point was in 1999 then "SMS" WAS invited with less of a resume than Missouri State had both last season and this.  IF the Valley was good enough for three bids back in 1999 (when it wasn't among the top ten leagues by RPI), then when the MVC is the sixth best conference (and ahead of the Big 12 who will get five teams in) and they only get two (2) bids ... THAT is wrong and motivation for ORU to stay in a weaker league where the Golden Eagles should dominate and win an automatic bid year in year out.

MM and TXgripe, unless I missed something, you're not required to read this thread or post your thoughts but you're certainly welcome to participate in the discussion if you'd like.  This thread actually does have several points of interest for ORU basketball fans ... (1) being in the Mid Con looks more and more every day like a great place for ORU stay put, given the challenges a very solid MO State program has faced in gaining favor of the selection committee.  Even this year's very talented ORU team would have struggled to finish in the top half of the Valley which would have eliminated the Golden Eagles from even NIT consideration let alone NCAA bubble talk and (2) and whether you like it or not, Missouri State is coached by a former ORU coach who spent six seasons with Golden Eagle basketball and played a key role in bringing the ORU men's basketball program back to life, along with of course Bill Self.  Bill Haisten's article spoke to that the other day in case you missed it.  :wink:

Where's Dr. C when you really need him??  This thread (and all other non-ORU Basketball threads) should be thrown into the General Discussion area so that we don't have to hear the whining of fair-weathered ORU fans interested in ego-stroking and who-do-I-rub-shoulders-with attitudes.

Oh ok, cool.  So we are going to talk about ORU basketball after all.  I'll read this thread, then.   :wink:

Speaking of ORU basketball, and since Texas A&M-CC just won the Southland...do you think we leapfrog them even though their RPI is higher? This is their 1st ever tourney appearance and they haven't beaten anyone of significance this year...BTW, why IS their RPI higher???

Guest Rob Marshall

Well, at least Barry's team was the highest RPI left out ... Air Force (30th in RPI) edged the Bears out for first place in that category although AF did lose seven (7) of their final ten (10) games.  Missouri State's final RPI was 35.  NIT again for BH.  Hope he gets Mizzou at home and winning over MU just might make their completely unrealistic fans calm down.

Barry loses to SDSU last night...what's the next step for Barry and MSU?  Can MSU do better? (I don't think so)  Does MSU think that they can do better?  Lots of questions, but who really knows??

From the Missouri State Board:

"Prime Trucking has threatened to pull $2.5 million in funding from the new arena if Barry is not retained.  They are big Barry allies.  My source is solid!"

"If this is true, this goes down as the second darkest day in Bears history.

The darkest was the day we hired Barry in the first place."

"I'm ready to start the boycott......No missouri state anything for me until 1 of a few things happens

1. Barry is Fired

2. Bears make the NCAA's

3. Bears win a regular season title

4. Bears win the Conference Tournament

Until one of those things happens I am done spending my money on this team"

primetv2.png

n2205109449_33303.jpg

"I am very, very, very deeply disturbed by this news.  I'm not going to sleep well tonight.

I'm going to take this opportunity to e-mail Nietzel again."

"Give me a break....I don't care. I really don't want to visit this board anymore until the Hinson nightmare is over anyways."

"This whole post really burns my butt.  If it is true sure wish Hammons or someone would step up and say I'll give you 3 Big ones to get rid of him. "

A more reasoned post from today:

"I just got to reading all of the posts on this thread and I have a couple comments...

First, the talk about Prime is absolutely true, but they are not the only big donor on Barry's side, he's got another big one supporting him.  He has some support from the big money and a huge following within the community.  As far as money that supports a change, nothing is solid.  People keep throwing O'reilly around but I think their contributions are suspect.  They have been in this town with money for a long time and have not made a committment, certainly nothing like Prime, that would make anyone believe that they would absolutely help.  They have offered money to help pay a new coaches salary.

Secondly, Dr Nietzel is in a very tough spot.  He is still the new guy in town and is really trying to gauge support within the community right now.  He has had a huge overflow response from people on both sides.  I understand where he is coming from.  I support change but I can see both sides of it.  It is my feeling that if he appeases the people in support of Barry he will get many of their one time donations, and still have the ability to let him go after next year, he could bring back many of the season ticket holders in time for the new arena.  That is speculation but it seems rather logical to me.

From what I've heard a decision will be made today, but that may not be the case. "

So, the natives are restless in Springfield, passions running strong on both sides.  Their new president is facing a really tough decision, which could cost him millions which ever way he goes.  Bad situation for everyone.  At this point, if Barry is kept on, with an ax over his head next season, how could you expect great performance from him?  Hard to do your best under that kind of pressure.

Other threads seem to corroborate that a decision on Barry's fate for next year will be decided today.