Shocking Events at the Patriot League Tournament

Otis 83

I was appalled to learn, as I watched the championship game of the Patriot League, that it was being played on the home floor of Holy Cross, the regular season champion.  How could the other schools in this league stand for this?  I suppose that with such a bush league tournament structure it is no surprise that last year?s champion, Bucknell, could only manage a 9 seed in last year?s tournament.  They also upset Arkansas in the first round.

Even more difficult for me to stomach was the sportsmanship, or lack thereof, displayed after the game.  The Holy Cross players barely attempted to fight through the hundreds of fans that stormed the court.  You would think they would try harder to make their way over to the Bucknell bench despite the throng that surrounded them.  Almost as disappointing was watching the Bucknell players slowly wander off the court rather than remain on the sidelines for the traditional team handshake line up.  I can?t imagine why they wouldn?t want to stay out there as Holy Cross and their fans celebrated an NCAA tournament bid.  And to think this is the same, vaunted league that was deified in John Feinstien?s book The Last Amateurs.

As my stomach quenched, I was forced to turn off the TV and change a diaper.  In other earth shattering events, New Mexico State beat Utah State on their home floor to win WAC tournament.  What?s next?

To be honest, ORU playing at the UMAC is more of a "home court" advantage than playing at the Mabee Center.  It's smaller and gets a lot louder.  Also, when we won the Mid-Con championship the only player off of our team that went on to shake hands with the opposing players was Caleb.  When it comes to these games, it is common to see the winning team go on to celebrating and the losing team walk off the court after having their hearts broken.  Is that wrong? No.

Someone is always going to have advantage on site location with Conference tournaments.  My opinion... why not make winning the conference mean something anyway?  Why not home court advantage for the tournament?  If other teams would like the advantage then get better! 

At least one conference I know of gives the regular season conference champions home court advantage during the conference tournament.  This seems like it would be the best thing.  Whoever wins the conference regular season title, should have home court advantage during the conference tournament.  However, would ticket sales decrease because fans would not have enough time to plan for traveling to the tournament site?

I think Otis was being sarcastic, guys. :|

would the women's tournament also be played at the men's champion home court, or would they play at separate arenas, assuming two different schools win the guys and girls seasons.

I do like the idea though.  It would give a much better incentive to win the regular season other than bragging rights and a ring - its something actually substantial that would give the best team in the conference the best chance to continue their winning season and best represent their conference in the tournament. And if the home team loses in their OWN gym then they REALLY don't deserve the auto bid. And, their wouldn't be any reasonable complaints.  Don't win, don't complain.

I was appalled to learn, as I watched the championship game of the Patriot League, that it was being played on the home floor of Holy Cross, the regular season champion.  How could the other schools in this league stand for this?  I suppose that with such a bush league tournament structure it is no surprise that last year?s champion, Bucknell, could only manage a 9 seed in last year?s tournament.  They also upset Arkansas in the first round.

Even more difficult for me to stomach was the sportsmanship, or lack thereof, displayed after the game.  The Holy Cross players barely attempted to fight through the hundreds of fans that stormed the court.  You would think they would try harder to make their way over to the Bucknell bench despite the throng that surrounded them.  Almost as disappointing was watching the Bucknell players slowly wander off the court rather than remain on the sidelines for the traditional team handshake line up.  I can?t imagine why the wouldn?t want to stay out there as Holy Cross and their fans celebrated an NCAA tournament bid.  And to think this is the same, vaunted league that was deified in John Feinstien?s book The Last Amateurs.

As my stomach quenched, I was forced to turn off the TV and change a diaper.  In other earth shattering events, New Mexico State beat Utah State on their home floor to win WAC tournament.  What?s next?

Obviously we're the poster boys for poor sportsmanship. I've already written the Mid-Con office and offered to give back our tournament championship and split it between runner-up Oakland and Valpo (even though they didn't even make it out of the 1st round). And the players and fans celebrating on the court after winning a championship?? Absurd. I've never seen that before

I think this whole bidding process is a conspiracy, let's just play the tournament in Indiana every year...if things don't change in a few years I say we take our ball and leave for the Sun Belt. That'll show the Mid-Con!  :cry:

I think Otis was being sarcastic, guys. :|

Ya think?