Tulsa World Did Great today!

orumom

Channel 2 should change their slogan to "2 for TU".

Remember I only read the sports page, society page, obits, & cartoons, so I usually miss out on what drives the rest of you crazy. But todaywe got a page & a half by multiple writers.

Unlike Channel 2 they actually admitted it was never a game.

Guest Rob Marshall

Mom, I agree; the Tulsa World did a great job covering the game and a lot of that has to do with TU FB in Orlando for the Conference USA championship being the only "big four" football conflict on the schedule for yesterday.

I've always enjoyed reading Bill Haisten's stories and Kleiner and Matt Doyle did very well too in their respective columns. First of all, Haisten is an excellent writer (not a biased "fan" of anyone so he just writes what happens without a "spin" ... period), and secondly he's a knowledgeable basketball guy.

Crosstown takedown

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer

12/4/2005

Eagles handle TU in Mayor's Cup victory

When Caleb Green converted on an eight-foot shot from the right baseline, the Oral Roberts students began to chant, "Up by 20! (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap) Up by 20!"

It is not unusual for fans to celebrate such a big lead, but it is noteworthy when it happens so early in a contest of crosstown rivals.

In Saturday's annual Mayor's Cup basketball game, the Golden Eagles needed less than 10 minutes to establish a 20-point difference between themselves and the outmatched visitors from the University of Tulsa. ORU recorded its third consecutive victory over TU, rolling 68-52 before a Mabee Center crowd of 8,756.

Green, ORU's junior forward and the Mid-Continent Conference's 2004-05 player of the year, toyed with TU's interior defenders while totaling 20 points and 10 rebounds. With 10:35 remaining in the first half, it was Green's basket that gave ORU its first 20-point advantage (28- 8 ). ORU led 41-17 at halftime, and TU never pulled closer than 16 points during the rest of the game. "I had a lot of fun. I always enjoy playing TU," said Green, who in each of his three career games against TU has recorded a double-double -- double-figure totals in points and rebounds.

ORU dominated from the start. Less than four minutes were gone when center Mickey Michalec scored to give the Golden Eagles a 13-2 lead. For the first time since February 1980, ORU has a three-game win streak in the Mayor's Cup series.

"It was very important for us to jump on these guys . . . and pretty much keep them down the whole game," ORU point guard Jonathan Bluitt said.

For ORU (4-2), guard Ken Tutt had 14 points and five assists. Forward Larry Owens contributed seven points, seven steals, nine rebounds and five assists. A free throw by freshman Marchello Vealy gave ORU its largest lead of the night at 25 points (64-39 with 6:24 left to play).

"Any time you can beat Tulsa, it's a good win," Golden Eagle coach Scott Sutton said. "I'm very happy with our first half. I thought we played about as well as we can play. This is an important game to a lot of people -- to our alumni and our students, and, obviously, to our team."

Cursed by poor shooting and, again, by shaky ballhandling, the Hurricane dropped to 1-4. TU shot only 31 percent from the field during the first half and 41 percent overall. Tulsa committed 27 turnovers. In its last four games, the Hurricane has a combined total of 100 turnovers.

"My team did not perform very well tonight," TU coach Doug Wojcik said. "For whatever reason, we're not starting games very well. We dig ourselves a hole. I didn't feel like we competed from the beginning of the game.

"When you start to add up the turnovers, you're going to get the same result every time."

TU senior forward Anthony Price had 17 points on 8-of-17 shooting from the field. No other Hurricane player posted a double-figure scoring total. In 23 minutes off the bench, sophomore guard Brett McDade had nine points.

Hurricane junior forward Charles Ramsdell entered with averages of 12.5 points and nearly eight shot attempts per game, but he was stifled by the defense of Green. Against ORU, the 6-10 Ramsdell was scoreless and managed only four shots.

"Caleb came out and did what we should have done -- he came out aggressive, attacking us," Ramsdell said. "We should have done what we did. We should have attacked ORU. He came out and hit a bunch of shots. We didn't defend it very well, and we didn't attack them on our offensive end."

During the first half of Wednesday's 62-53 home loss to fifth-ranked Oklahoma, TU had nearly as many turnovers (16) as points (18 ). TU basically replayed that first half on Saturday, going to intermission with a 24-point deficit and 13 turnovers.

For the second consecutive season, ORU handled the Golden Hurricane with ease. A year ago, the Golden Eagles dealt TU its worst loss ever (23 points, 70-47) at the Reynolds Center.

Tuesday, the Hurricane plays at Northern Arizona. Wednesday, former ORU coach Barry Hinson competes against the Golden Eagles. His Missouri State team faces ORU in the Mabee Center.

Green dominant against Tulsa

By MATT DOYLE World Sports Writer

12/4/2005

In three tries against TU, the forward has 62 points, 33 rebounds.

Caleb Green held up three fingers shortly after the final buzzer in Saturday night's Mayor's Cup contest at the Mabee Center.

While Green's hand gesture signified Oral Roberts' third consecutive victory over crosstown rival Tulsa, it easily could have signified Green's third straight dominant performance in the series.

"If we could get Tulsa on our schedule 28 or 29 times a year, he would probably be the Player of the Year across the country," ORU coach Scott Sutton said of Green. "He loves this game. I think it's special to him because he is a Tulsa kid. I don't think he has anything to prove. He enjoys this game because he plays with such passion and energy."

In helping ORU to its 68-52 triumph over TU, the junior forward out of Memorial High School again was the standout performer. Green had a game-high 20 points and 10 rebounds. In three Mayor's Cup matchups, Green has 62 points and 33 rebounds.

"I had a lot of fun. I always enjoy playing TU because it's always a great game," Green said. "When you have a rival . . . it brings out everything in everybody. It's just fun."

From the opening tipoff, Green demonstrated he was having a lot

of fun. The 6-foot-8 forward had a big smile on his face on every possession. His productivity in the first half was a big reason for the big grin.

Green maneuvered around TU's trapping defense and split double teams to score 16 of his 20 points as ORU built a commanding 41-17 halftime lead.

Green only took two shots in the second half and managed just four made free throws. But he set the game's tone early.

"He's an All-American," ORU senior point guard Jonathan Bluitt said of Green. "The way he plays is well beyond his years. It's hard to stop him once he gets rolling."

First-year TU coach Doug Wojcik said he had heard everything about Green "from the day I got the job," last March.

Wojcik's first up-close impression Saturday confirmed everything he had heard and seen from Green.

"He is a great athlete, he has great hands and he is quick," Wojcik said. "He plays extremely hard and enjoys playing the game. Unfortunately, I saw it from my end. But he really seems to enjoy playing the game, which is a pleasure to see from a coaching standpoint."

Tulsa goes from high of football title to low of hoops rout

By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist

12/4/2005

The University of Tulsa got to experience all the highs and lows in one day.

TU won the Conference USA football championship Saturday afternoon and then took a beating in the Mayor's Cup basketball game in the evening.

Could it be that Tulsa is now a football school?

"That's great, isn't it?" said TU basketball coach Doug Wojcik of the football victory. "It is incredible for our school."

All you need to know about the decline of Tulsa basketball was on display once again at Oral Roberts.

Caleb Green, who makes a habit of reminding TU what it missed when it didn't recruit him out of Memorial High School, did it to the Golden Hurricane again.

Wojcik said he's been hearing about Green "since the first day I took this job."

Green proved he is still the best player in the city, and it is not close, as he led Oral Roberts to an easy 68-52 win Saturday night at the Mabee Center.

"He loves to play this game," said ORU coach Scott Sutton. "He was unbelievable in the first half."

This may sound a little strange, but it wasn't that close.

Green has scored 62 points and grabbed 33 rebounds in three victories over Tulsa. Anyone still think he can't play

for TU?

"I had a lot of fun," Green said. "I always enjoy playing TU."

But, just in time, football is back in a big way at Tulsa.

The football championship was Tulsa's first conference title in 20 years and sends it to the Liberty Bowl against Fresno State on Dec. 31.

"I talked with our team about our football team," said Wojcik. "I talked about how resilient they were to keep working and finally win a championship."

TU's third straight loss to ORU was the first time that has happened in 25 years. To put that in perspective, Nolan Richardson was still a year away from reversing TU's basketball fortunes.

Oral Roberts was just as effective, and overwhelming, as the Hurricane footballers had been earlier in the day.

If you thought last year's 71-47 victory was lopsided, you should have seen this blowout. It didn't end as badly as last year's game, but it was a worse defeat for Tulsa.

The Golden Eagles had control from the start and had to clear the bench to keep it from getting worse.

They dominated the Hurricane, who at times looked incapable of making the most simple passes and shots. TU had 27 turnovers. Really. 27.

The Hurricane, who had flashed a little hope in the second half of a loss to Oklahoma earlier in the week, took a huge step in the wrong direction against the Eagles. The encouraging signs against the Sooners were wiped out by the Golden Eagles.

Some have predicted a huge season for Tulsa's Charles Ramsdell, but he was held to no points (he had averaged 12.5 points through the first four games).

"Look at what Caleb did defensively," said Sutton. "Charles Ramsdell's been having a good season, and Caleb really did a good job on him."

ORU owned the Hurricane.

The first half was remarkable for ORU's brilliance combined with TU's inability to do just about anything.

The result was a 41-17 debacle. The 24-point margin was maintained for much of the second half.

"I'm very happy with our first half. I thought we played about as well as we can play," Sutton said.

Green had 16 points and five rebounds in the first half. He finished with 20 points and 10 rebounds before he took a seat with nearly five minutes to go.

Much of the second half was ORU experimenting with player combinations. Even with the ORU bench cleared, TU was unable to make up much of the large deficit.

The Eagles made it look easy by holding the Hurricane to a mere 31 percent shooting in the first half.

"We didn't perform very well," said Wojcik.

Nope, but the football team kept a smile on the faces of Tulsa fans everywhere, even the Mabee Center.

Two lines stick out like they were highlighted in neon - I'm thinking about using them for my signature. Both written by Klein:

"If you thought last year's 71-47 victory was lopsided, you should have seen this blowout. It didn't end as badly as last year's game, but it was a worse defeat for Tulsa. . . The first half was remarkable for ORU's brilliance combined with TU's inability to do just about anything. "

Thanks for the posting of the Tulsa World articles it was nice to get to see all that was written about the game. Enjoyed getting to see them against USC really thought they had a chance to win the whole thing up there. The Monmouth team will probably be in the NCAA's at the end. Would be nice to win one more big one before the conference starts. OU is really big!! If Caleb and Mickey stay out of foul trouble they have a chance. Looking forward to the road trip!!

ORU Notebook: Gold standard

By MATT DOYLE World Sports Writer

12/4/2005

Oral Roberts University athletic director Mike Carter made a promise, and junior forward Caleb Green made sure Carter delivered on his word.

Carter told Green early last season he would get the team new gold uniforms if the Golden Eagles won 20 games.

"We won 25," Green said.

The Golden Eagles unveiled their new gold uniforms in Saturday's 68-52 victory over Tulsa.

Green said he had seen teams across the country wearing a third alternative uniform to go with their standard home and away outfits. He went to Carter with the request for gold.

"We have gold in our colors, and that's the one color we didn't have a uniform for," Green said.

Carter said ORU will wear the gold uniforms only a handful of times this season.

Number change:

The new gold uniforms allowed sophomore forward Yemi Ogunoye to finally wear his new jersey number. Ogunoye changed from 52 to 3 this season. But he has still not received his new white home or blue road jersey to reflect the number change.

Stat sheet stuffer:

Senior forward Larry Owens' final statistical line against TU was fairly balanced. Owens finished with seven points, nine rebounds,

five assists and seven steals. The steals established a new career high and the assists were one off his career best set last season against Western Illinois.

"Larry is one of those guys who doesn't do one thing just great, but he does everything well," ORU coach Scott Sutton said. "He is very active."

See them while you can: ORU returns to action Wednesday night at home against Missouri State, which is coached by Sutton's predecessor, Barry Hinson. After the contest with the Bears, ORU will play its next seven games on the road.

By the numbers:

Green's 20-point, 10-rebound performance marked the 18th time in his ORU career that he has surpassed those two statistical figures in the same game. . . Junior guard Ken Tutt had a pair of 3-pointers and needs one more to reach 200 for his career. . . Senior guard Jonathan Bluitt had two assists and needs two more to move into fifth place on ORU's career assist list.

oruterry,

as an out of towner i really appreciate you posting the tw articles thanks a bunch!!

OU is really big!! If Caleb and Mickey stay out of foul trouble they have a chance. Looking forward to the road trip!!

darrenj, I don't know how often you check the board at this point, so I don't know if I'll get an answer, but are you still coming to the ORU/OU game? If so, will we have a chance to meet you?