Clarke sets record with 60 points - Tulsa World (3-9-2007)

ORUTerry

Clarke sets record with 60 points

By RICK HARRINGTON

3/9/2007

CHOCTAW -- Verdigris' Rotnei Clarke scored a state tournament record 60 points in a 90-68 Class 3A state tournament win over Vian in front of more than 3,500 at the Lyle H. Boren Activities Center.

"I just got in the zone tonight and really had a lot of fun," Clarke said. "I've got great teammates around me, which makes it all possible."

Clarke's record came on the heels of a 57-point outburst against Adair in last week's area tournament final at Bixby.

The previous state tournament scoring record was held by Frontier's Reggie Weckstein, who scored 51 points against Roff in 2004.

The win sends top-ranked Verdigris into a semifinal against third-ranked Millwood at 7:30 p.m. Friday at State Fair Arena.

Clarke started scored six points in the first 57 seconds. He had 18 at the end of one quarter and 30 by halftime, when his Cardinals led 48-32.

After a bit of a slow start in the second half, Clarke caught fire for 14 third-quarter points to bring his total to 44.

Clarke netted his 60th point with 2:09 remaining and was removed from the game to a standing ovation from all in attendance. He took his seat on the bench next his father, assistant coach Conley Clarke.

Three of Rotnei Clarke's eight assists were to 6-foot-7 Adam Hollon for uncontested dunks.

Hollon tossed in 17 points and Londell Taylor paced Vian (19-6) with 25 points.