Two Cents Worth (maybe three...)

Old Titan

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts pouring in, so if I repeat something someone else has already said, my bad:

? I admit it:  at halftime, I thought we were toast.  I just sat there, physically ill, wondering how are we EVER going to outscore Greg Kampe with an 11-point lead in just 20 minutes?  I assumed he would work the clock like mad, running all those picks and such, and just ride it out.  Little did I know that our guys were spending halftime dedicating themselves to to just RIPPING the darn thing away from him!  Only SIX field goals allowed in the second half??  Are you freaking kidding me?!?  Just a fantastic effort the second half.

? Kept feeling deja vu during the comeback, but couldn't place the source.  The in-your-shirt defense, the high-percentage shots on offense, pounding the boards for rebounds, the break-out dunks after steals, the crowd roaring so loud the air crackled.  Where had I seen/heard all this before?  Then it hit me this morning:  the uniforms were the wrong color.  Where I had seen comebacks like this before, both in person and on TV, was at Gallagher-Iba Arena, when OSU was flying high.  Scott Sutton has officially completed the impossible:  molding an ORU team into the EXACT image (at least in style) of his dad's Cowboy teams.  Who would have ever thought that ORU - always lauded AND maligned for being a "shoot-first, defend-when-you-feel-like-it" basketball program - would now be known for it's DEFENSE?!?

? And has anyone mentioned how effectively the fullcourt pressure hampered Oakland's offensive sets in the second half?  I thought it was a great move by Scott and the boys - prevented the Grizzlies from playing at their tempo and running all those screens for Kangas.  We didn't get a bunch of steals off it, but like Nolan Richardson used to say about his full-court defense - it's not about getting turnovers; it's about making the other team settle for bad shots as the shot clock runs out.

? Speaking of the effectiveness of the press, I wonder how much being extended by UMKC the night before might have taken out of Oakland's legs?  They seemed fatigued toward the end; had several free throws and jump shots come up short.  We may owe UMKC a debt of gratitude for playing so hard Monday night - go figure!

? Funny how time changes everything.  I wonder how Adam Liberty felt back in November when he was struggling, and his old school Wichita State was ranked in the Top Twenty?  Wonder how he - and they - feel NOW?

? Wonder if Rotnei Clarke was in attendance last night?

? Wonder if Rotnei Clarke was in attendance last night?

Great question!

Great post, OT.  I sat through halftime last night with a goofy grin on my face and a knot in the pit of my stomach, thinking the game was over, and, like you, physically ill because of it.

I couldn't help but feel UMKC was responsible for the exhaustion of the faces of Hopes, Kangas and others late in the second half.  They worked their tails off the night before to get that win - then once the adrenaline wore off after the first half, exhaustion set in.  Part of the reason Kangas was struggling was his legs were rubber.  At least that's what I think.

When Kangas was going nuts in the first half, I was all over Yemi from the balcony (I'm sure he heard me!) for trying to go OVER the screens to defend him.  But after hearing Coach Sutton talk about it on the radio yesterday and seeing the replays from the higher angle of the cameras, it was easier to see what was happening:  Kangas was so far behind the screen (five feet?) that Caleb and Sean couldn't "hedge" out from the screener to get there.  He was just too far away.  Which is usually OK, because most guys can't/won't shoot from so far out.  Except Kangas WAS shooting from there - and hitting!  Yemi was just trying to get over thje pick and get any kind of a hand in his face.

But in the second half, for some reason, Kangas started rolling tight over the screener, instead of drifting back like he did in the first half.  Was it because of fatigue (thinking he couldn't shoot from so far anymore)?  Was it because the press was shortening their possessions and he was rushed to get through the play?  Don't know - just glad he quit hitting those 25-footers!

Watched Kangas' last shot again (and again) last night. They ran some nice screens to get him open. Yemi was no where near him - the last screen (by Severovas?) stopped him cold. King came out and put a hand in his face. He probably rushed his shot a bit - but with King coming up he may have thought he needed to. The shot was just oh-so short and rimmed out.

Watched Kangas' last shot again (and again) last night. They ran some nice screens to get him open. Yemi was no where near him - the last screen (by Severovas?) stopped him cold. King came out and put a hand in his face. He probably rushed his shot a bit - but with King coming up he may have thought he needed to. The shot was just oh-so short and rimmed out.

...in comparison to Pierre Dukes' 3-pointer two years ago that was just oh-so in.

Funny how the ball bounces - I guess if we had to suffer a loss like that during Ken and Caleb's time here, I'm glad it came when they were sophomores and not this past Tuesday night.  They grew from it - and so did this basketball program.

Sidebar - doesn't their Senior Night mea culpa after the Utah State game feel like an eternity ago?  But, Caleb was right:  "we ain't done yet!":-D

How right you are OT.  I walked away from that Utah St. game with a pit in my stomach.  Perhaps my expectations were too high, but combine the Valpo loss, the near debacle vs. Centenary, and the loss to Utah St....I thought we were a bit out-coached and perhaps moving the wrong direction, wondering "did we peak too soon?"  If you'll remember, I even posted how I didn't understand how or why our coaching staff didn't change things up from time to time, maybe roll out the "Yemi Press" among other looks or set plays.  My desperation was beginning to show...

Well, let me be first in line as one who stands corrected.  I marvel at the coaching job done by Sutton & Co. in the tourney.  This coaching staff had this team playing "in-your-face" defense, correcting our vulnerabilities exposed by Utah St. and Centenary to high ball screens, hedging (or lack thereof) and help-side defense.  They showed a few wrinkles in the tourney and played their cards just right.  They allowed this team to form its own identity and play through some adversity rather than over-coaching...a fine line if you ask me.  In the end, this team left it all on the floor when they had the guts to come back from an 11 point half-time deficit and make plays down the stretch.  If you didn't think our boys had transformed to men yet, they did it before your very eyes against an Oakland team that played lights-out that first half.

The key to a first round victory in the tourney (apart from our usual man defense) will be a "Vealy-like" Kansas performance out of Marchello himself, or from King, or even Ehambe off the bench.  Combine that with 10-12 points from Liberty and his continued aggressiveness toward the basket, and we will be in good shape.  Speaking of, I LOVED THE WAY HE PUSHED THE BALL up the floor time and time again.  For a minute, I looked to see if Bill Self or Roy Williams was coaching this team, it was beautiful!!

o.k.....enough from me.  I AM VERY VERY HAPPY!!  GO GOLDEN EAGLES!!!

There were significant contributions from all 8 players during the championship game.  It was truly a team effort. 

Every basket was important in this game, and Sango made his shots, Vealy had a nice basket, Yemi had 2 important buckets, Shawn King did as well.  Caleb had some nice passes that led to easy buckets.  Caleb hitting 3 of 4 3-pointers in the first half, which we needed to keep up with Oakland was also huge. 

I agree, this team didn't blink when they were down by 11 points at half, and they won't blink in the NCAA tournament either.  They are a strong and confident team, but we need defensive intensity for 40 minutes.  A supportive ORU contingent would help contribute to that.