• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• orumom

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

How respected is this guy? Are we talking like possible McDonald's All-American next year?

He's bound to attract even more national attention this summer while playing in the AAU circuit - I think he plays for a really good team out of Dallas.

AAU = Nasty... go read Sole Influence but take a shower afterwards. As far as Clarke, I dont think ORU has ANY chance at him and TU's chances are diminishing. People like to play the you can play immediately card but look around the country, there are LOTS of BIG schools (DUKE, UNC, etc.) playing true freshman and rest assured, Clarke will be offered by these people. Unless he really wants to stay close to home, I can see him at Duke or UNC. If he wants to stay in OK, I think TU has it wrapped up.

ash  =o)

Agree that this kid will get lots of attention from big time schools.... and he will probably choose one of them. Hard to compete against a school that is on tv all of the time and whispers in your ear how great you are. Have heard that Marquette is chasing him very hard. I know TU has gotten lots of press - but don't believe everything you read in the newspapers.... There is more to this story than is commonly known.

I know there is more to the story and I actually respect the fact that it hasnt surfaced over here. Every kid has pressure from many people, parents, friends, etc. Sometimes the mom likes one coach, the dad likes another, the kid another. This is where you get the different sources saying different things. Look at Bobby Knight, he certainly has issues that scare some parents, but others embrace his tactics...

All that said, I dont think he will end up in the area... if he was going to, I suspect he would commit early.

ash  =o)

Ash - I agree. I think the allure of a 'name' program will be too much for him and he will end up at Marquette or KU or ....? It will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets with a program like that.

I know there is more to the story and I actually respect the fact that it hasnt surfaced over here. Every kid has pressure from many people, parents, friends, etc. Sometimes the mom likes one coach, the dad likes another, the kid another. This is where you get the different sources saying different things. Look at Bobby Knight, he certainly has issues that scare some parents, but others embrace his tactics...

All that said, I dont think he will end up in the area... if he was going to, I suspect he would commit early.

All you said is correct, Ash, and it's highly likely that Rotnei will end up at a big-time program somewhere.  But that won't keep our respective programs from recruiting him as long as there's any hope, and it would seem that that both programs have been led to believe that there is.

I had the chance to talk with Rotnei's vball coach (club) and it definitely looks like an out of area plan right now for him.  According to her, in talking with his sis, TU/ORU's chances of getting this kid are slim to none.

Not to be a downer, but you have to expect it with this kind of talent from a kid.

He plays for Team Texas on the AAU curcuit and has a couple of very good teammates. He will be in Denton for a tourney and i think in Houston in about 2 or 3 weeks for the Kingswood tourney.

After being somewhat of a relative unknown for much of his prep career, Rotnei Clarke has emerged as a high-major prospect. Appearing in six playoffs games this year, the 6-foot-0, 170-pound combo guard from Verdigris High School in Claremore, Okla., averaged 46.5-points per contest, and big-time college basketball programs took notice.

Clarke had an outstanding junior season

"We lost in the semifinals for the third straight year," said Conley Clarke, Rotnei's father. "Rotnei had the best game of his career in the playoffs. He scored 60-points in a playoff game and couldn't be stopped. Rotnei hardly missed a shot, if any, during that game. He scored 57-points the game before that and 32-points the game before that.

"Coaches' from Kansas, Texas A&M, ASU and ORU were on hand to watch Rotnei score 60-points," he added. "Rotnei's team faced Gerald Jones (Millwood), who is headed to Tennessee, and couldn't get past them That team was just so athletic and quick."

Clarke, the No. 107 ranked player in the class of 2008, certainly has a number of options to consider.

Arizona State, Arkansas, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Kansas, Marquette, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, UNLV, Washington State, West Virginia, Gonzaga, Missouri State, Tulsa and Oral Roberts are all in the mix.

However, Clarke expects one school in particular to make a strong push for his son.

"Coach Tim Jankovich was there to watch Rotnei score 60-points," said Clarke. "He told me it was the best performance he'd ever seen, and he also told me Kansas was going to start recruiting Rotnei much harder. I've wanted Kansas to recruit him for a long time.

"I've worked camps at Kansas for Bill Self," he added. "It's one of the truly elite players in the nation. Rotnei would definitely use one of his official visits to Kansas. We've been to Late Night a lot, so we hope to make another trip like that this year."

It's not yet known when Clarke, the No. 17 ranked point guard in the class, will make a decision about his future. It's something he and his father have talked about a great deal, but, according to Mr. Clarke, his son just isn't ready to take a step forward in his recruitment just yet.

"Kansas, Kentucky, Arkansas, West Virginia, UNLV and a bunch of other schools have been by to watch Rotnei play this year," he said. "Arizona State has been down four or five times this year. I asked Rotnei last night to give me his top three schools, and he couldn't do that. He doesn't have a clue what he wants to do.

"He wants to show everybody that he can play at that high-major level this spring and summer," he added. "Rotnei is still growing and is still improving as a player. He knows he can play at that level, but he wants to prove that to everybody else."

Until the time comes for Clarke to take the next step forward in his recruitment, he's in the process of preparing for the upcoming AAU circuit. The next couple of months are going to be extremely busy for Clarke, but he wouldn't have it any other way.

"Rotnei is going to play for Team Texas again this year," he said. "He and Willie Warren are good friends and play together for Team Texas. Willie and Rotnei, for a long time, have talked about playing together in college. I know that Kansas is recruiting both players, so we'll just have to see what happens.

"We'll be in Las Vegas during Easter weekend," he added. "After that, we'll be in Houston, Texas, for the Kingwood Classic and then to the Next Level event. Plenty of schools will get the opportunity to watch Rotnei play this summer."

FEATURED PRODUCTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The home stretch

Inside the Locker Room

Scores

Send to a Friend

Print This Page

Font Size: 8 pt9 pt10 pt11 pt12 pt14 pt

[

r n

Rivals.com is your source for: College Football | Football Recruiting | College Basketball | Basketball Recruiting | College Baseball | High School

Site-specific editorial/photos ?2007 Orangebloods.com. All rights reserved. This website is an officially and independently operated source of news and information not affiliated with any school or team. About | Advertise with Us | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Copyright Infringement

Clarke, Goodrich Honored As Elite 8  

Wednesday March 28, 2007 10:48pm    Posted By: Kevin King 

Tulsa - It was a great night at NewsChannel 8 as the top eight girls and boys in high school basketball were here along with parents and coaches as we handed out the second annual Elite 8 awards.

Barry Lewis from the Tulsa World, Rick Couri from KRMG as well as NewsChannel 8's Jack Bunds, Ruben Diaz and Rick Pendergraft were the judges, along with the Internet vote.

The boys winner this year is Verdigris guard Rotnei Clarke. The junior helped lead the Cardinals to the semifinals of the Class 3A basketball tournament, including setting a tournament record with 60 points in a victory over Choctaw.

Clarke has received more than six hundred letters from college basketball powers across the country, but says he'll wait until his senior year before deciding where he'll play at the next level.

The winner on the girls' side is Tahlequah-Sequoyah's Angel Goodrich, who led the Indians to a third straight Class 3A championship, scoring 26 points in the title game over Adair.

Goodrich helped lead the Indians to a 27-and-0 record, averaging more than 18 points, six rebounds, 7-point-5 assists, nearly seven steals and 1-point-4 blocks per game.

Congratulations to Rotnei and Angel, our 2007 Elite 8 winners.

"Coach Tim Jankovich was there to watch Rotnei score 60-points," said Clarke. "He told me it was the best performance he'd ever seen, and he also told me Kansas was going to start recruiting Rotnei much harder. I've wanted Kansas to recruit him for a long time.

"I've worked camps at Kansas for Bill Self," he added. "It's one of the truly elite players in the nation. Rotnei would definitely use one of his official visits to Kansas. We've been to Late Night a lot, so we hope to make another trip like that this year."

If that's an accurate quote, it would seem to indicate Kansas is (and always has been?) Clarke's first choice, at least if his dad has anything to say about it.

Should be noted that Jankovich was recently named head coach at Illinois State - I guess you can probably add them to the list of schools going after Clarke! :roll:

I believe that if ORU wants Rotnei Clarke they have the best chance of getting him of anyone in the nation. There is a lot of stuff that is not posted on this board and if we want him I believe that we can get him.

I believe that if ORU wants Rotnei Clarke they have the best chance of getting him of anyone in the nation. There is a lot of stuff that is not posted on this board and if we want him I believe that we can get him.

Well, I hope you're RIGHT!! :-D

This kid is in the middle of a recruiting whirlwind based on the season he just completed. Getting pursued by Kansas, UCLA, etc. is pretty heady stuff for a player from Verdigris - or anywhere else for that matter. Can you imagine the mail he gets if 600 schools are recruiting him?

Interesting that he wants to delay making a decision until next Spring and not pull the trigger in the Fall signing period. After all the attention Clarke will get over the next six months, he might want to change his mind and make his decision early... and play his senior season without all the bother.

Believe me they want him in the worst way!!! When the president of your school goes to see him you know you are wanted!! Lot of big schools will be there at the end! Again Willie Warren and him are very good friends; just something to keep an eye on. This summer will tell a lot as far as how good he is. I will try to see him this summer if they are in Dallas for an AAU tourney. If the Mark Price comparisions are correct he must be something else!! What i have heard he is a great shooter but not nearly as fast or quick as Price. Either way he would be a HUGE get for either TU or ORU.

I think we might have a chance of getting him because of his religious background since he wants to be a preacher, so I've heard.  He is a great Shooter but all of his success has gotten to his head...

last year he played my team at our place and we were up by like 20 with 10 seconds left in the game.  We had the ball and were running the clock out and he striped the ball went in for a layup but was blocked hard by one of our players, that was embarrassing and that is one of the reasons I do not like him.