Series has different dynamic - Tulsa World (12-3-05)

ORUTerry

Series has different dynamic

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer

12/3/2005

Slumping Hurricane, surging ORU matched in Mayor's Cup battle.

In its last 60 games, the Oral Roberts basketball team is 42-18.

In its last 60, the University of Tulsa squad is 18-42.

Entering the Mayor's Cup battle at 7:05 p.m. Saturday in ORU's Mabee Center, the Golden Eagles are 3-2. TU is 1-3.

The Golden Hurricane leads the overall series 27-14, but in the last six games each team has recorded three wins. Eight of the last nine games have been decided by 10 or fewer points, and two of those contests went to overtime.

"This is our best rivalry, no doubt. It's a unique series," ORU coach Scott Sutton said. "TU has a lot of new guys, but once they get here and feel the atmosphere, they'll see what it's all about. I have no doubt that TU will play hard."

Said ORU athletic director Mike Carter: "This will always be a big game for us, for TU and for the city. It will always be hotly contested. It's a lot like Bedlam football. Forget the records, folks. It's a big game and a great rivalry. Not a rivalry of hate or ugliness or disrespect. Both schools fully respect each other."

During a 24-season span that began with coach Nolan Richardson's hiring in 1980, TU was defined as having the city of Tulsa's No. 1 college basketball program. Over that period, compared to crosstown rival ORU, the Golden Hurricane recorded more victories and attracted larger crowds.

Over that period, TU made 13 NCAA Tournament appearances. ORU made one.

The current ORU-TU dynamic is different.

Last season, ORU had the upper hand in every sense. The Golden Eagles dealt TU its worst loss ever in the Reynolds Center (23 points, 70-47). ORU finished with a 25-8 record and had an average home attendance of 6,052. TU was 9-20 and its attendance average dropped 20 percent (from 7,384 in 2003-04 to 5,942).

During each of the past four seasons, ORU has experienced an increase in average home attendance. In each of its last three seasons, TU has had a decline.

"I'm not saying anything against TU, but maybe our crowds got bigger because people want to see winners," Golden Eagle junior forward Caleb Green said. "When you win, people want to come and see what the fuss is about."

Longtime trainer Glenn Smith has been on the ORU bench for each of the 41 previous Mayor's Cup games.

"There seems to be a different perception of ORU basketball in this city," Smith said. "I think ORU is seen as being a team on the rise. There's no doubt about it -- the Tulsa game is my favorite game every year."

If the Golden Eagles prevail on Saturday, they will savor their first three-game streak over TU since 1980. In 2003, ORU defeated visiting Tulsa 87-81.

After beating Southern Cal, losing to Marquette and defeating Monmouth to finish third in last week's Great Alaska Shootout, ORU mashed St. Gregory's 90-52 on Tuesday. With eight new scholarship players and a new coach (Doug Wojcik), TU was beaten 63-52 by fifth-ranked Oklahoma on Wednesday.

During the offseason, Wojcik and Sutton played in the same group during a charity golf event.

"It's my first (Mayor's Cup game). I'm looking forward to it. I've been part of rivalries in the past," Wojcik said. "What Scott and his staff have done at Oral Roberts is fantastic.

"I don't know much about the rivalry. My goal is that we continue to get better. My whole thing is Tulsa basketball and where we're going. Not with what Scott and Oral Roberts are doing."

Only two TU players -- seniors Anthony Price and Chris Wallace -- have experienced a victory over Oral Roberts. In 2002, the Hurricane won 90-80 at the Reynolds Center.

"It's a fun game to play in. It's intense," Price said. "If we execute and play hard, we can beat anyone. We feel that way before any game, including this one."

TU / ORU tickets

Priced at $15 for adults and $10 for students and seniors, a limited number of general admission tickets remain for Saturday's Tulsa / Oral Roberts game at the Mabee Center. Tickets will be sold in the south lobby.

ORAL ROBERTS-TULSA BREAKDOWN

Guards: Oral Roberts starters Ken Tutt and Jonathan Bluitt have a combined total of 99 career starts. Tulsa starters are sophomore Deion James (19 career starts) and first-year freshman Ray Reese. Tutt averages 17.4 points and Bluitt 4.8 assists. James has only two more assists (21) than turnovers (19). Advantage: ORU.

Big men: As a sophomore last season, TU's 6-foot-10 Charles Ramsdell played only six minutes per contest and averaged just 1.5 points per game. This season, he has averaged 33.5 minutes and 12.5 points. "I've been really impressed with Charles Ramsdell," ORU coach Scott Sutton said. "He has thrived in Doug Wojcik's system. Charles is a (power forward) who can step out and play (small forward). He's definitely a matchup problem for us." Golden Eagle junior Caleb Green connects on 60 percent of his shots. He averages 18.6 points and nearly eight rebounds per game. His TU counterpart, Anthony Price, is a 46 percent shooter and averages 12.8 points. ORU 6-11 center Mickey Michalec has improved his scoring (8.4 per game) and passing (three assists). Golden Eagle forward Larry Owens is a shot-blocker who averages 7.8 points and 7.2 rebounds. Advantage: ORU.

Bench: The Golden Eagles get 12.8 points per game from their reserves. TU guard Brett McDade, who scored in double figures in 13 of his final 15 games last season, averages 8.5 points off the bench. Three of TU's primary bench players are newcomers. ORU counters with a bench that includes two seniors (Chris Riouse and Andrew Meloy) and a freshman, Marchello Vealy, who was last season's Oklahoma high school player of the year. Advantage: ORU.

Coaching: While TU's Doug Wojcik is in his first season as a head coach, ORU's Scott Sutton and assistants Tom Hankins, Corey Williams and Conley Phipps have been together for seven seasons. In the Mayor's Cup series, Sutton is 3-3 against Tulsa. In 1999, Sutton's first ORU team recorded a stunning 60-59 upset of TU. That Hurricane team made a run to the NCAA Elite Eight and closed with a 32-5 record. Having been an assistant at Michigan State, North Carolina and Notre Dame, Wojcik is a veteran of high-pressure games. In his first showdown with Wojcik, Sutton benefits from having the homecourt and a more experienced, more talented team. Advantage: ORU.