Crowd Size?

ttowncount

Anyone wondering what size crowd we might expect?

Students had until close of business on Wed to pick up a ticket with an ID; no free admission at the door without a ticket -- not admitted with their ID as usual. I'm assuming a portion of the student section has been sold to the public. Concerns me a bit.

And I loved those escalators years ago, but they seem to be causing a bottle neck these days. Bet the fire marshall won't let them be set to both go UP to handle the crowd at the beginning. Why not let people go up the outside stairs and have more ticket takers at the top at more doors?

Your thoughts?

The gold seats are sold out from what I have heard.... I suspect that your fears that some of the students have sold their tickets is correct. You have to love a free market and a chance for students to make an extra buck.... except at the expense of their own school.

I also suspect that the TU crowd will be larger than it would have been if they had not played OU as close as they did. It has created the possibility of an 'upset' in the TU mindset.

I have always wondered the same about the steps outside. It doesn't make sense that we wouldn't be able to use those. Maybe someone could talk to Larry or Tony over at the Mabee Center for big games from now on. I'm assuming it's too late for tomorrow but who knows?

I'm assuming a portion of the student section has been sold to the public.

I suspect that your fears that some of the students have sold their tickets is correct.

Never occurred to me that students would get tickets and sell them. I'm naive, I suppose.

I was more concerned about ticket office selling them to the general public (TU fans in particular) for students not making the effort to go and pick up their tickets in advance. Ath Dept tried to get the word out, but students don't check dorm voice mail as much as they used to before cell phones. And they don't always plan ahead enough or see the urgency of picking up their tickets days before the game when they are accustomed to being able to arrive late and still have a seat waiting for them.

All 4 "gold" sections in the endzone were claimed by ORU students by wednesday! Student presence/turnout will be HUGE saturday. The question will be 'corporate' seats in the "gold" sections. Will they show?

Other than that, 7,500 total were sold as of friday afternoon. Add a decent walk-up saturday and I'll guess 8,000+. 5,000-6,000 ORU fans and 2,000-3,000 TU fans. Should be a great atmosphere.

Unfortunately, Tulsa is a LATE arriving town and the MC is slow, with it's 'bottleneck'. For pete's sake...show up early people, especially students!!!

Alot of the students don't check their voicemail or don't even know thier access code (system is bugged out compared to last year) alot of students i ask didn't even know that they were supposed to, attendance could have been bigger if they had announced it in chapel or something, oh well....

8000+ is pretty good.

I heard that both entrances (north and south) will be open fot tonight's game to ease the bottle neck problem. So if you want to save some time, park on the 81st st. side of the building and go in the south entrance.

As of noon on Saturday...

The gold is sold out and 3,000 blue seats have been sold. I hope that todays crowd is an early arriving one. It sure would be nice for our crowd to give ORU the home court advantage before the game starts. Our fans have really improved over the last couple years and I hope that they plan to be on their feet early.

Nothing like a rockin' Mabee Center!

I would think we should expect a really good walk-up tonight and I'd guess we'll have an announced attendance of 10,000. As oruvoice said, the key is the corporate tickets.

ENCOURAGE YOUR FRIENDS TO SHOW UP EARLY EVEN IF THEY ARE SEASON TICKET HOLDERS!!! You do not want to miss the pregame video and starting line-ups because of long lines and a crowded lobby. A lot of people will probably even miss the opening tip-off tonight.

Tonight will be fun!!!

You can get some single seat tickets in the gold section. So the gold isn't completely sold out yet. It's probably hard to sell those single seat tickets, but that's the only way to get closer to the action.

Guest Rob Marshall

Disappointing to see just about 7,000 there tonight, but probably about right given that many TU fans were in Orlando, while other potential attendees were various other places tonight like Christmas parties, HS football games in Norman, OSU vs. SMU, at home watching Georgia punk LSU, Christmas shopping at Target, or perhaps there aren't 10,575 people in the greater Tulsa area who care about an ORU/TU basketball game when TU's in phase one of their rebuilding mode. Nonetheless, disappointing to see 3,500ish empty seats tonight.

the official attendance figure was 8756. Although I know there were some empty gold seats, the student section was full. Some of the students had to sit in the blue section. It was a nice crowd. Not many TU fans in attendance (or maybe they were just so quiet I didn't notice them).

Guest Rob Marshall

I wish there would have been 8,800 people there last night, and it's a shame there wasn't. It was an active and involved crowd, but actual attendance was more like 7,000 (if you moved people down into the empty gold seats, it would have left about 2,000 in the blue seats (Mabee Center has 5,000ish gold seats and 5500ish blue seats which many people don't realize there are actually MORE blue seats than gold).

Regardless, it was nice that ORU had a definite "sixth man" at the Mabee Center as well they deserve and should have. It was a fun game for ORU fans to witness.