Bears strike out in ORU finale - WTH

ORUalum

Bears strike out in ORU finale

Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

Monday, February 26, 2007

By John Werner

Tribune-Herald staff writer

Some great college pitchers like Nebraska?s Shane Komine, Long Beach State?s Jared Weaver and Cal State Fullerton?s Kirk Saarloos have shown their stuff at Baylor Ballpark during this decade.

But Oral Roberts? Michael Jarman is the new king of K?s.

Throwing nasty curveballs all day, Jarman set a Baylor Ballpark record with 14 strikeouts as Oral Roberts salvaged a 4-2 win over Baylor in Sunday?s series finale.

After winning 14 straight home games dating back to last season, the Bears (7-4) could have tied the Baylor Ballpark record set in 2000 with their 15th win. But Jarman (1-1) pitched spectacularly as he allowed four hits, four walks and one earned run in eight-plus innings.

Jarman?s 14 strikeouts broke the old Baylor Ballpark record of 12 shared by Baylor?s Steven White (2003) and Mark McCormick (2005) and Nebraska?s Joba Chamberlain (2006).

?I felt I had something to prove because I didn?t pitch well in my last game,? said Jarman, who came into the game with an 8.31 ERA in two appearances. ?When I?m feeling good like today, I can get some strikeouts. My curveball was working well against their lefties and I had a good changeup going.?

The Bears were looking for a sweep after winning the first two games of the series. Though Baylor starter Jeff Mandel (1-2) allowed just five hits, two walks and two earned runs in seven innings, he couldn?t match Oral Roberts? junior left-hander.

?He did a great job of keeping us off-balance,? said Baylor catcher Matt Sodolak, who collected three of Baylor?s four hits. ?A lot of right-handed hitters get anxious when you have a thumbing lefty up there, and it?s hard to stay back.?

?Tip your hat to the guy because he was on,? said Baylor rightfielder Aaron Miller, who singled and scored Baylor?s only earned run in the second inning. ?He threw nothing overpowering, but he hit his spots.?

Oral Roberts (3-5) opened up a 2-0 lead in the second inning and never trailed. Brian Van Kirk and Jake Kahaulelio hit consecutive singles before Tyler Warmerdam drilled a one-out single to drive in the game?s first run. David Genao drove in the second run with a sacrifice fly.

The Bears had their best shot at Jarman in the bottom of the second. After singles by Miller and Sodolak, Ben Booker was hit by a pitch to load the bases with one out. Drew Bias walked to push across a run, but Jarman came back strong with strikeouts of Chase Gerdes and Raynor Campbell to get out of the inning.

?He had four pitches working today,? said Baylor coach Steve Smith. ?We had an opportunity to get to him early, but we didn?t come through. I thought Mandel threw a fine game for us, and it was disappointing that we didn?t give him more support.?

The Golden Eagles took a 3-1 lead in the fourth when Warmerdam reached on Baylor shortstop Beamer Weems? error and scored on Pat Warfle?s single. Oral Roberts added another run off Nick Cassavechia in the ninth on Brendan Duffy?s RBI single.

Baylor didn?t put up another serious threat until the ninth when Sodolak opened with a single and Duffy dropped Booker?s fly ball to center field.

After throwing 137 pitches, Jarman was relieved by Chance Chapman, who struck out pinch-hitter Kenton Gedwed before walking Gerdes to load the bases.

Campbell drove in Baylor?s second run with a sacrifice fly before Eric Crichton retired Weems on a grounder to end the game.

?I consider Baylor one of the top five programs in the country, and you?ve got to do things well to beat them,? said Oral Roberts coach Rob Walton. ?We needed to play harder than we did in the first two games of the series, and we did that today. When Michael (Jarman) is right, he?s special.?

The Bears will complete a nine-game homestand against Texas-Arlington on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.

jwerner@wacotrib.com

LINK