Coach Sutton Interview on am 1430

ORUTerry

Did anyone hear Chris Plank talk about the pregame prayer? He said that he has no problem with the prayer but it is "tacky" when you close the prayer and ask for a little more help in the game. Maybe I've missed something but I don't remember EVER hearing someone pray for an ORU win. Am I wrong? Plank just has a good interview with Coach Sutton and the only thing he follows it up with is that it's tacky when we pray for a win before the National Anthem. What on earth is this guy still doing on the radio? He says stuff that doesn't make sense.

A question he had for Coach Sutton was: "So Coach, you all are playing about seven guys now, right?" Sutton responds: "Well we're actually playing about 10." Did Plank even research before he interviewed Coach? At least make up for your bad takes with a little knowledge. You know what I think? I think that no one in Tulsa except for the ORU faithful and a few TU fans know how many weapons we really have. The TU message board is talking about how weak Mickey is. He's been a stud this year. They have no idea about Riouse, Chello, Mickey, Fowlkes, or even how improved Larry is. All Tulsa knows is Ken and Caleb. This city is in for a surprise tomorrow night. TU fans better hope that Coach Wo is not reading the same scouting report that his boy Chris Plank is.

I thought you all might appreciate this. Below is my original e mail to Plank at the Buzz and his response on his interview with Coach Sutton.

I wrote:

Plank,

On the whole prayer thing, I don't EVER recall someone praying on the PA for

an ORU win before a game. You have a great interview with Coach Sutton and break out a leftfield comment about pregame prayers? Also, you're out of your mind thinking that TU has a chance against ORU. Your royal and gold is showing through a little too bright. Put up the cheeba and get real.

Plank replied:

Cheeba... best line of the week.

I'm referring to the line that is usually at the end of the prayer... I've only heard it for big games. Arkansas/Tulsa... was kind of making a joke about it... no harm intended. Its usually from a bitter fan whose team lost...

I'll put a pizza on the Golden Hurricane this weekend...I don't know why, but they are due to not play like dog dung.

For anyone who missed the 1430 interview it is now hosted on the media page. I cut off the tail end of the interview and the prayer comments just because I don't think Plank's opinions matter.

I have never heard a pre-game prayer in the Mabee Center the manner of which Plank described but then again I truly doubt he ever gets out to watch ORU. I think the real crux of the matter is the offense that there is a PRAYER at all...

Guest EagleBackr

Chris Plank is an idiot - and a TU fan, but I repeat myself. Yesterday, I thought his making fun of "Coach" (the man in the coat & tie from the Reynolds Center baseline) was a new low, but today was just as bad. Is Plank implying that if the prayer was neutral, he would think more highly of ORU? I highly doubt it - it's just a classic case of sour grapes. I don't remember him or anyone else having a problem with the pre-game prayers back when Tubby, Slick Willie, or Nolan were kickin' our butts. But now, suddenly, he thinks it's "tacky". How does a guy who's show consists of inside jokes about drugs, sex and bodily functions call anything else "tacky"? Dig that "plank" out of your eye, Chris, before you start complaining about our "speck" of a prayer...

How is Plank Wojcik's boy? Wojcik has been in town about seven months.

Plank might be a TU homer, but like many of the other groups he wants to associate himself with, he gets no respect from TU fans. Heck, Plank says he's a Raiders fan, but I doubt even lowly Raiders fans would accept him in their freak show.

I will give the Buzz some props though. The bit today about the garden where the new complex at Skelly is supposed to go was gosh darn funny.

I HAVE heard a "homer" prayer or two through the years referencing a request for victory and/or the occasional "extra annointing," not to mention the random petitions for an extra good call or two from the officials. They usually prompt a good chuckle as I think to myself, "...only at ORU."

Nevertheless, Plank is still a puts. :shock:

Gold, my "Coach Wo's boy" reference was only pointing out that Plank is a TU homer. I'm not sure if you all heard the prayer comment but he made it sound like it happened every game, which he later clarified to me as occuring on big games. There may be some that don't like him but his little prayer comment got me to listen to the remainder of the show -- something I haven't done in months.

Plank is a doofus. His questions to Coach Sutton just reminded me that he knows nothing about ORU and doesn't care to. He only attends a handful of ORU games, TU, Arky, and a couple of others.

Meanwhile, he can talk in depth about guys at the end of TU's bench.

He's a frat boy that got a break and got into radio. He has very little talent and the ONLY reason he's on the radio is because Clear Channel is all about the bottom line........and because he has no talent, Clear Channel can pay him peanuts. If he had any talent, he'd have moved up by now, which unfortunately means we are probably stuck with him for years to come.

Seriously Plank, if you read this board.....get some professionalism, take some more broadcasting classes, and do your homework on the local teams....at least!

I HAVE heard a "homer" prayer or two through the years referencing a request for victory and/or the occasional "extra annointing," not to mention the random petitions for an extra good call or two from the officials. They usually prompt a good chuckle as I think to myself, "...only at ORU."

Nevertheless, Plank is still a puts. :shock:

I can tell you as an outsider that the pre-game prayer, when it includes the part for ORU to win, is frequently brought up, both in sort of a chucle context like you mentioned and a very negative one. I for one don't like it because I think it's against the spirit of the contest at the amateur level and also because of my own personal beliefs. I think a pre-game prayer for both teams not to get hurt and play their best would be pretty cool, though. Not trying to flame -- but since y'all brought up the issue.

Other schools do similar things, though. I always thought the "Touchdown Jesus" at Notre Dame was a tad sacreligious and their pre-game selling of candles to be lit in the grotto before the game recalled some of the issues that led to the Reformation.

I have now attended 3 men's games at the Mabee Center and all 3 times the pregame prayer included no such petition for an ORU win. It takes a lot to impress this Lutheran, but I came away impressed by the prayers and was able to say "Amen" with a clear conscience.

On the other hand, Indiana State University is a Catholic University, and last year when Valpo played them in Terre Haute, the pregame prayer included just such a petition. TD can - hopefully - back me up on this.

Going in, I would honestly have expected it to be the other way around.

Guest EagleBackr
I have now attended 3 men's games at the Mabee Center and all 3 times the pregame prayer included no such petition for an ORU win. It takes a lot to impress this Lutheran, but I came away impressed by the prayers and was able to say "Amen" with a clear conscience.

On the other hand, Indiana State University is a Catholic University, and last year when Valpo played them in Terre Haute, the pregame prayer included just such a petition. TD can - hopefully - back me up on this.

Going in, I would honestly have expected it to be the other way around.

Can't say that I've ever heard of a state school being tagged with a particular religious affiliation. I mean, private schools like Notre Dame and Loyola are obvious, but Indiana State a Catholic school? How so?

Gold, I totally agree with you. My opinion is that God doesn't like to take sides at athletic events and it is bad sportsmanship to ask Him for a victory. I am with you there -- I don't recall hearing that but I'm not saying it couldn't have happened.

Can't say that I've ever heard of a state school being tagged with a particular religious affiliation. I mean, private schools like Notre Dame and Loyola are obvious, but Indiana State a Catholic school? How so?

That might be a faulty memory on my part. In fact, it just now occurred to me that it might have been St. Louis University when Oral Roberts played there last year. Bogus, mom, do you remember if that was the case?