Green Likes Opposition's Attention - Tulsa World (12-2-05)

ORUTerry

Green likes opposition's attention

By MATT DOYLE World Sports Writer

12/2/2005

Junior forward will lead ORU's attack against archrival TU Saturday.

Caleb Green has grown accustomed to all the attention.

The Oral Roberts University junior forward always is front and center on the minds of Golden Eagles opponents. Seeing multiple players assigned to defend ORU's sleek 6-foot-8 offensive force is commonplace. Dealing with double-teams by foes once he gets the ball near the basket is a familiar feeling for Green.

"It's not that surprising that I'm seeing it more early in the season," Green said. "I'm used to it."

Once again, Green will be the focal point when ORU (3-2) hosts Tulsa (1-3) in Saturday night's Mayor's Cup clash at the Mabee Center.

"Caleb has more moves than (Oklahoma's) Taj Gray, and that's something you always have to be ready for," said TU junior forward Charles Ramsdell. "He has more moves around the basket than any post player we'll play against and you always have to try and stay in front of him. He is very good at what he does."

TU will not feel intimidated by Green's presence. The Golden Hurricane competed hard against Oklahoma's senior interior tandem of Gray and Kevin Bookout in Wednesday's 62-53 loss to the Sooners. Bookout and Gray entered the game averaging 23 points and 16 rebounds between them. But they combined for just 10 points and 12 rebounds against TU.

Tulsa hopes it can slow Green down in a similar fashion. Green is averaging a team-best 18.6 points and 7.8 rebounds through ORU's five games.

The increased attention Green generates is something the Golden Eagles have adapted to as a team. Despite his marked man status, Green is making 60 percent of his shots from the floor. The rest of the ORU team combined is shooting just under 43 percent.

According to his coach, Green does not feel increased pressure of having to carry the ORU's offensive output.

"The good news for us is that we're a pretty balanced team. We have other options, although we're not shooting the ball as well as I think we will," ORU coach Scott Sutton said. "I'm sure he can get frustrated because every time he does touch the ball, he is getting double and triple teamed.

"But he understands that is how teams are going to defend him. He takes it as a complement. But he can get shots off offensive rebounds. He has extended his game out to where this year he is making the 15- to 16-foot jumper and makes it tough for teams to double team him. He has expanded his game."

One area that Sutton believes Green could expand further is passing. Sutton feels that aspect of Green's game has been undervalued and under appreciated. While he only has three assists, Green understands distributing the ball to teammates is more beneficial than forcing shots.

"Caleb is a special player, and one of the things involved in being a special player is that you have to be mentally tough," said ORU point guard Jonathan Bluitt. "That (passing skill), to me, is what makes him a dangerous player. He sees the floor like a point guard. Having a guy in the post that can kick it out to wide-open shooters really can open the floor for us."

As a local product, Green has a grasp of the series importance.

The Memorial High School graduate has been a thorn in TU's side in two previous Mayor's Cup battles. Last year, he starred in ORU's 70-47 win at the Reynolds Center with 18 points and 10 rebounds. One of his first big performances as a freshman was a 24-point, 13-rebound showing in an 87-81 win at the Mabee Center two years ago.

"I know what the game means and what it means to the city and everybody -- the coaches and players -- who are involved with it," Green said. "It's always fun to compete and play in this game."