Three questions with Marchello Vealy - TW (2-19-2007)

ORUTerry

Three questions with Marchello Vealy

by MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

2/19/2007

Marchello Vealy

Position: forward

Grade: sophomore

Height: 6-7

Weight: 205

As one of ORU's main reserves, what do you like about coming off the bench?

When I'm on the bench, I watch everything that's going on. I watch the players I'm going to be guarding, I watch the other guards. I watch the big men to see how they're posting up. I watch everything.

Why are you so shy in the interview room?

I get emotional. My stomach starts fluttering. It feels like I'm the only one up there and the camera's looking at me. It's different when we're on the court because that's a team thing and we're all together and not (everyone) is looking at me.

What is your favorite thing to do away from basketball?

If I'm not at home -- back with my family, playing with my niece and nephew -- I'll be up here in the dorm room, messing around, listening to (redshirt sophomore) Sylvester Spicer play loud music and dancing and stuff. Spice likes everything. He'll play jazz or anything.

If chello doesn't like the spotlight, will he ever be a go to guy?  sounds like he doesn't want to be singled out.  BB should be a team game, i know, but sometimes stars have to shine to carry the team.

I know that we have probably all been a little frustrated with Marchello lately because he shows so much potential and is such a smooth player on the court that he makes it look so easy at times, but then at other times he is inconsistent.

He can make 7 3's at Kansas, but doesn't even score a point against Utah State, when we really could have used them (of course he only played 11 minutes).

But I think in this Q&A he is simply being honest about his nervousness around the media.  I don't think that would stop him from being a leader on the court.

I honestly don't know why he sometimes disappears in games from a scoring standpoint, but he does seem to rebound consistently well.  I hope he is fully recovered from his "groin pull", because we will need significant contributions from him for the rest of the year, especially in the Mid-Con tournament.