24-25 Roster

Keenan Henderson

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It would be great to get a #2 scorer to add to that lineup, maybe Bedford comes back in exchange for Miller at the shooting guard.  It will be another case of a lot of guys having to step up again next year.  Besides Bedford, no one really did last year and of course the Eagles struggled.  It takes teamwork to make the dream work.

Last year's starters on opening night came in with: 27 points and 11 rebounds from the previous season.  It would be a small improvement but still need a couple of studs out of the remaining 3 roster spots.

I also really hope Bedford returns. I know it’s been said some are “not allowed back”, but I would hope some of those things could be worked through with communication and support? Maybe I’m too optimistic…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2014Grad said:

I also really hope Bedford returns. I know it’s been said some are “not allowed back”, but I would hope some of those things could be worked through with communication and support? Maybe I’m too optimistic…

Bedford was the impetus of the "hero ball" syndrome on the team last season.  I would only want Bedford to come back if he is committed to team ball first and be a MOGA guy - Make ORU Great Again!  There's no "i" in Team. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I would rather have Williams back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

Bedford was the impetus of the "hero ball" syndrome on the team last season.  I would only want Bedford to come back if he is committed to team ball first and be a MOGA guy - Make ORU Great Again!  There's no "i" in Team. 

I couldn’t agree more. Bedford is a good player but not a good team player. One thing about HCRS he is extremely honest and transparent. If a player’s attitude or work ethic is subpar they will hear about it and if it doesn’t change they will play elsewhere. My hunch is HCRS is picking players this year that are team players first and that  will listen to him. As long as our talent level is good our team chemistry will determine how far we go. Clearly last year the chemistry was not there. I believe it will be drastically different this year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, eagle88 said:

I couldn’t agree more. Bedford is a good player but not a good team player. One thing about HCRS he is extremely honest and transparent. If a player’s attitude or work ethic is subpar they will hear about it and if it doesn’t change they will play elsewhere. My hunch is HCRS is picking players this year that are team players first and that  will listen to him. As long as our talent level is good our team chemistry will determine how far we go. Clearly last year the chemistry was not there. I believe it will be drastically different this year.

HCRS will have an opportunity to prove his skeptics wrong this year as he will have a roster that on paper is not as talented as last seasons. The 3 possible new starters are well below the stats of the players they are replacing:

SG: Jalen Miller 3.1 pts 1.4 rbs- replacing Bedford 14.6 pts 6.4 rbs (ORU 2nd leading scorer, 2nd leading rebounder)

SF: Carlos Rosairo 2.3 pts 1.4 rbs- replacing Kareem 12.4 pts 6.9 rbs (3rd leading scorer, leading rebounder)

PF: Sam Alajiki 4.4 pts 2.8 rbs- replacing DJ 9.7 pts 3.3 rbs

As concerned as I am about the replacement of the points, the loss of rebounding on a very poor rebounding team really jumps out as a critical concern to me. Hopefully, coach is getting the guys he wants, it's a very abbreviated recruiting process so it's impossible for anyone to know for sure. The players we are bringing in this year are probably the level of players we can expect moving forward in the current college basketball environment so HCRS needs to show he can win with these types of players.  It's year 2 for coach, not expecting a miracle (although it would be very welcome) but we need to see improvement that indicates the program is heading in a positive direction.  It's your program coach with your guys and your culture now, show us what you got! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

I have no inside info, nor did I see more than 1 in-person game(streamed many online), so I won’t argue that, but it feels weird to identify a specific player that way. The amount of plays, minutes and shots he got doesn’t match that narrative. Guaranteed one of these transfers will want to take a few more shots, hopefully the coaching staff has improved on how to manage the team 🤞🏾.

Edited by 2014Grad
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, 2014Grad said:

I have no inside info, nor did I see more than 1 in-person game, so I won’t argue that, but it feels weird to identify a specific player that way. The amount of plays, minutes and shots he got doesn’t match that narrative. Guaranteed one of these transfers will want to take a few more shots, hopefully the coaching staff has improved on how to manage the team 🤞🏾.

Yea, I agree. I never noticed that from Bedford at all. I loved the way he played all season. McBride is the only one I ever saw playing hero ball, and he did it pretty often. I don't have any locker room info either, and there's always more to the story than what you see on game day. That just really surprises me. 

• Upvote 4

"Hero ball" is like a cancer.  Once it infects one player, it spreads to others.  We saw a distinct difference in the team's chemistry between the non-conference schedule and when the team came back together after the Christmas break.  The disastrous loss to UMKC looked like an anomaly when we turned it around the next game at Denver, but it was just the beginning of the end to the season.

I don't possess any inside information on this subject - only the observations of the game and the comments made by others on this board, which were on point.  Everyone has a role to play on the team and some may not have liked the role that they had in their post-Max era.  HCRS will need to remedy this and make it known to all the players what they need to do to make the team successful.

One thing I do know without seeing who will be on the floor at the beginning of the 2024-25 season.... Mackey will be the leader of this team. He will be the playmaker and the team better listen to him.  HCRS needs to coach through Isaac and develop the next leader for the following season in preparation for Isaac's departure. Performance on the floor will dictate what role(s) are played by the team.

Those that aren't able to perform should learn and get better - not sulk and look for greener pastures.  If you want greener grass, water your own grass and make it grow.  HCRS has a history of identifying and developing talent. Now he is getting the players on the seats in the bus that he wants to drive around.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On 4/27/2024 at 4:47 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

Sam has played 3 seasons and that was before Covid, so yes he should be a senior this next year.

1. Isaac McBride - Gr.

2. Sam Alajiki - Sr.

3. Jalen Miller - Sr.

4. Sir Isaac Herron - Jr.

5. Chase Martin - Jr.

6. Carlos Rosario - Jr.

7. Josh Jones - So.

8. Braedon Moore - So.

9. Pablo Navarro - So.

10. Luke Gray - Fr.

Heard from my source that Chase Martin is a walk-on who replaces Jonathan Alexandre. So still 4 scholarships to get. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Heard from my source that Chase Martin is a walk-on who replaces Jonathan Alexandre. So still 4 scholarships to get. 

Which would be why his coming to ORU has only been announced by Chase.  Until he enrolls and attends classes would he be officially on the team.  Always good to have local talent on the team.  Now he needs to earn his spot (which I hope he does) and make the other guys around him better.

Interesting, Martin was a starter a good chunk of last season for Wofford but now he is a walk on at ORU.  Ok as long as he helps the team.  He could run the practice team.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:27 AM, 2014Grad said:

I have no inside info, nor did I see more than 1 in-person game(streamed many online), so I won’t argue that, but it feels weird to identify a specific player that way. The amount of plays, minutes and shots he got doesn’t match that narrative. Guaranteed one of these transfers will want to take a few more shots, hopefully the coaching staff has improved on how to manage the team 🤞🏾.

Every one of those transfers are going to want more shots than they got at their old schools which is one of the reasons they are in the portal to start with.:) Hopefully the talent level or coaching is better than last year. 

• Upvote 1

Cant help wondering whether Luke Gray will figure prominently in the starting five equation. 

11 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Cant help wondering whether Luke Gray will figure prominently in the starting five equation. 

I’m thinking the same way. I can still remember the first basket that Caleb Green made as a freshman at the Mabee Center. I knew right away that we had a winner. I had similar thoughts about Max Abmas when he drained his first four three-pointers in a preseason exhibition game. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Outside of Mackey, I think HCRS will put the best players in the other four spots on the floor to start.  You play hard and smart and you should see the floor - whether you start or not.  Injuries will change that rotation, but if Luke hustles, learns quickly, and has a nose for rebounding and defense, I can see him starting as a freshman over some of the guys that have been assembled for the upcoming season. 

• Upvote 2

The Roster seems to be changing weekly, here is the update:

1. Isaac McBride - Gr.

2. Jalen Miller - Sr.

3. Sam Alajiki - Sr.

5. Darius Robinson - Jr.

6. Carlos Rosairo - Jr.

7. Bradeon Moore - Soph.

8. Josh Jones - Soph.

9. Pablo Navarro - Soph.

10. Luke Grey - Fr.

Walk-on:

Chase Martin - Jr.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:12 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

The Roster seems to be changing weekly, here is the update:

1. Isaac McBride - Gr.

2. Jalen Miller - Sr.

3. Sam Alajiki - Sr.

5. Darius Robinson - Jr.

6. Carlos Rosairo - Jr.

7. Bradeon Moore - Soph.

8. Josh Jones - Soph.

9. Pablo Navarro - Soph.

10. Luke Grey - Fr.

Walk-on:

Chase Martin - Jr.

It looks like from a previous thread that ORU added the UMass big man.

11. Mathok Majok - So.

• Like 1

1. Isaac McBride - Gr.

2. Jalen Miller - Sr.

3. Sam Alajiki - Sr.

5. Darius Robinson - Jr.

6. Carlos Rosairo - Jr.

7. Bradeon Moore - Soph.

8. Josh Jones - Soph.

9. Pablo Navarro - Soph.

10. Luke Grey - Fr.