Twitter Fun - Music

Otis 83

As much into music as you are, Otis, you are probably aware that Eric Clapton was a visitor to Tulsa from time to time during the 70s. He worked with a number of Tulsa musicians and song writers over the years, and those connections led him to visit our fair city to collaborate with his friends. I've heard that on occasion he would show up at local bars to jam. Phone calls were made, and soon everyone that could pack in were there to see him. I found a message board thread about this topic one time several years ago, and it was amazing to read accounts of people that had seen him in those intimate settings. I KNOW those would qualify by your original qualifications - I just wasn't there to see him myself!

I also read that Clapton was arrested one time at the Tulsa Airport for public drunkenness after creating a row, and was taken to the Tulsa jail. Funny how something like that has become a fact of historic interest, almost a matter of pride for the city, over time.

Of course, you may know more about all of this than me.

2 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

I didn't mean to suggest that B.B. King was marginal - me and his 15 kids think he was great!!

Thanks for the clarification. We can still be friends. 😜

14 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

As much into music as you are, Otis, you are probably aware that Eric Clapton was a visitor to Tulsa from time to time during the 70s. He worked with a number of Tulsa musicians and song writers over the years, and those connections led him to visit our fair city to collaborate with his friends. I've heard that on occasion he would show up at local bars to jam. Phone calls were made, and soon everyone that could pack in were there to see him. I found a message board thread about this topic one time several years ago, and it was amazing to read accounts of people that had seen him in those intimate settings. I KNOW those would qualify by your original qualifications - I just wasn't there to see him myself!

I also read that Clapton was arrested one time at the Tulsa Airport for public drunkenness after creating a row, and was taken to the Tulsa jail. Funny how something like that has become a fact of historic interest, almost a matter of pride for the city, over time.

Of course, you may know more about all of this than me.

Yes, I am very aware of Eric Clapton's Tulsa connections.  I think it started with Leon Russell when he toured with Delanie, Bonnie and Friends.  Carl Radle was on that tour as well and followed Clapton to Derek and the Dominos where they picked up a couple more Tulsa players.  Clapton and Russell wrote a hit together, Blues Power, and Clapton had hits with several JJ Cale songs.  Several of those Tulsa guys played with him throughout the 70s.

I'm pretty sure by the time I arrived in Tulsa in 1979 there were no longer any sightings.  I've been huge fan of Clapton's since I was in the 6th grade.  My oldest sister won a 2 album retrospective, The History of Eric Clapton, from a late night AM DJ.  Some of you will remember "be the third caller..."  The album featured his work from the early days of the Yardbirds through Derek and the Dominos.  She had no interest in the album so it fell into my possession and I was hooked on Slowhand.  If I had caught wind of Clapton playing in a bar in Tulsa I would have found a way to get there.

Despite all of my knowledge of the Clapton/Tulsa connection I have never heard of this incident at the Tulsa airport.  I wonder if Leon drove to the jail in his Rolls Royce to bail Clapton out.  Fortunately Clapton found sobriety in the 80s.  

TheEagleman met Leon Russell in the Southroads Mall in Tulsa back about 1974 or 1975....he was extremely polite when i said hello....can't possibly miss a guy who looked like he did with the long hair which wasn't completely silver more salt/pepper when I ran into him...RIP LEON....Tightrope.....image.jpeg.7b1e29af2089993c0b90dae1260fdbc6.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Despite all of my knowledge of the Clapton/Tulsa connection I have never heard of this incident at the Tulsa airport.  I wonder if Leon drove to the jail in his Rolls Royce to bail Clapton out.  Fortunately Clapton found sobriety in the 80s.  

From The Church Studio in Tulsa website (complete with photography and commentary from my dear old friend John Southern, a Tulsa institution himself):

https://thechurchstudio.com/eric-clapton-gets-arrested/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

From The Church Studio in Tulsa website (complete with photography and commentary from my dear old friend John Southern, a Tulsa institution himself):

https://thechurchstudio.com/eric-clapton-gets-arrested/

I will be forever indebted to you for sharing that.

Just waiting for Mr. Southern to produce pics of Otis and TheEagleman behind bars in Tulsa in the 70s.....oh it's gotta be coming......Image result for jailhouse photos

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Some of you will remember "be the third caller..."

That's how we got the Earth, Wind and Fire tickets!!

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Just waiting for Mr. Southern to produce pics of Otis and TheEagleman behind bars in Tulsa in the 70s.....oh it's gotta be coming......Image result for jailhouse photos

Now that you mention it, there was that one night when the Nervebreakers came up from Dallas to play the Blue Grotto in Tulsa 🤐

TheEagleman could use a My Pi pizza or Goldies Burger right about now....but my all time favorite back in the 70s was Casa Bonita.....use to eat until I was ready to burst.....those were the days, my friend....😎

• Like 1