"The Shot" at SUU Saturday Night

tmh8286

Let me set up the video:  Oakland is playing Southern Utah at Cedar City.  The score is 44-40 in favor of Oakland at halftime.  Over the course of the second half the lead changes back and forth a couple of times, Steve Barnes nails a trey to tie the score at 79 late in the second half, and regulation ends with a tie score, 79 all. 

Each team is able to score in OT, and with 39 seconds remaining Oakland takes a one point lead, 85-84, on a free throw by Hopes.  He misses the second, but Oakland rebounds.  An Oakland shot at the shot-clock buzzer fails to draw iron, and SUU gets the ball under the Oakland basket with three seconds remaining.  Senior Justin Allen nails a three as time runs out to give Southern Utah the win, 87-85.  That was Allen's last shot at home as a Thunderbird on Senior Night.  What a way to go out!

Keep in mind that BOTH of these teams had just lost in overtime on Thursday - SUU at home against IUPUI, and Oakland at UMKC.

Video Clip

(After reading a discussion of this clip on the Valpo board I'd decided that the first shot is probably the trey at the end of the first half; the second is obviously the game-winner.)

That shot is absolutely amazing......mostly luck, but crazy!!!! and great for us. thats a really hard loss for oakland, two in overtime in a row to loose a chance to win conference....rough for them.  But WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Look for the Oakland player by the 3pt line that just stares in disbelief for several seconds after the basket goes in, and then the one that stops at center court, grabs his knees, and drops his head as if it finally sunk in that they just lost a chance for a #1 seed.

.... Now they know a little bit of how we felt when lucky Dukes' shot went in.  :evil:

.... Now they know a little bit of how we felt when lucky Dukes' shot went in.  :evil:

Uhh, I don't think so...

I was also thinking about comparing it to the Dukes shot, but the difference was that Dukes went to the corner, got the ball, squared up to the basket, and took a nice looking three point shot from the corner that went in (with a few seconds to spare).

I know that, because I was sitting about six feet from him when he took the shot.  In retrospect I wish I had flown out of my seat and tackled him before he could take the shot.  I like our chances better if he'd have shot free throws, then Oakland would have had to inbound the ball and score again.  I just didn't think fast enough :|.

It was actually more like the shot taken by the Chicago State kid at UMKC last year; after literally dancing around in the corner without a travel call, he tosses up a prayer off of one foot and it goes in. 

Remember that one?  That shot wasn't the game winner, though - that came on the stolen inbound pass that another Chicago State player chucked up about 60 feet out from the basket, and it went in. 

It was actually more like the shot taken by the Chicago State kid at UMKC last year; after literally dancing around in the corner without a travel call, he tosses up a prayer off of one foot and it goes in. 

Remember that one?  That shot wasn't the game winner, though - that came on the stolen inbound pass that another Chicago State player chucked up about 60 feet out from the basket, and it went in. 

I still have that one on my media player...

Man, talk about being late to the party:  i saw this clip on KOTV last night, assumed no one else knew about it, went to more than a little trouble during my lunch locating the video on the SUU website, linking it here, and writing a long-winded explanation of the scenario, what the shot means to ORU, etc. - only to find that you guys have already posted it, dissected it, and moved on.  I even had a little jab at Pierre Dukes, but you guys covered THAT, too!

Guess that's what happens when you take just ONE DAY OFF from the message board.

But, hey!  Did ya hear Anna Nicole Smith died?!? :|