The Last "Upset" in Mayor's Cup Play ...

Guest Rob Marshall

Guest Rob Marshall

When Nate Binam's shot finally fell and gave ORU and unsuspected victory of Bill Self's finest TU team, MOST considered that a MAJOR "upset." Rookie coach Scott Sutton out-dualing his former boss ... are you kidding me?

Well let's consider the five (5) returning starters ORU suited up that day ... Nate Binam, Eric Perry, Derek Taylor, Leon Irving, and Reggie Tate. Explain to me again how those kids went 13-17?

Given that the ORU bench was quite thin, those five guys were tough-minded, hard individuals who refused to lose that game. It wasn't quite the "upset" many believed it to be, and frankly after the Tulsa World's front page "Who's Your Daddy" pictorial it was no suprise those five (5) lead by point guard Eric Perry willed ORU to win that game.

As the old saying goes, the battle doesn't always go to the stronger and faster men, but sooner or later the men who win are the fellas who think they can. ORU has MUCH better talent than TU does, but so did OU. Ultimately OU built a big enough lead early that TU's second half push just wasn't enough to overcome that big Sooner lead.

I promise you, Doug Wojcik believes his team can win on Saturday night and his players will too. I sure hope ORU isn't found asleep at the wheel like they were the first twenty minutes against St. Gregory last Tuesday night. This game will go to the team with better guard play, and that SHOULD be ORU.

It was a gigantic upset helped by some questionable calls and a fortuitous bounce. A real gutsy effort by ORU for sure but that TU team lost to 3 teams all year, and was 11 points away from being 37-0 and in the final 4.

ash =o)

How often are close games decided in just such a way, Ash? I think it's pretty rare when a game comes to the wire that the finish is uncontested. We felt that way in the Utah State game in regulation and in the Marquette game.

Admittedly, it was a marginal call that gave ORU the ball with only a few seconds left against TU in '99. But I will tell you, it's one of the few times EVER that ORU fans have felt that our opponents probably got homered in Mabee Center!

Nice, ttc. I was going to post that today myself, but you beat me to it. Actually, I didn't have a web site to access if from, so I was going to email it to Dr. C and have him put it on the Media page. He still might want to do that. Having year round availablity of that little clip would probably be appreciated by ORU fans!

As good as the video is, the AUDIO is epic. My call of...THREEEEeeeeEEEEeeee, finished by 'Timeout Tulsa, Timeout Tulsa' has to go down with the great sports calls of all time!

Guest Rob Marshall

Ash, I'm well aware of how good Bill's last TU team was ... I consider myself blessed to have had the opportunity to be along with Bill and his crew for that wild and exciting ride in 1999-2000. In addition to the loss at ORU, there were final possession losses to Fresno THREE times, and of course the Regional Final in Austin where we needed about two more minutes of playing time to overcome a horrid shooting game against the Tarheels.

In an attempt to explain the loss to ORU at the Mabee Center, there is no question one can point to a few questionable calls and a fortuitous bounce on Binam's three-point FG. HOWEVER, my point was THAT ORU team had MUCH better and more experienced players than THIS YEAR's TU team. From a talent comparison standpoint, there is a much great disparity between ORU and TU this year than in 1999-2000 (although clearly TU was a deeper, more talented team, ORU still had some very good players who could compete with them). Thus, it realistically can NOT be called as GIGANTIC upset.

Again, typically I agree with what your takes, but have to call you out for your term GIGANTIC in describing the upset.

Guest Rob Marshall

Voice, your call was funny ... that cracklin' voice makes you sound like an 8th grade boy! You are the prototypical "homer" on the mic! Gotta love it! :D

Thanks for posting this count! I've added a link to the video at the top of the forum and will transfer it to the media page after the game... I'm just surprised nobody has shared it with our TU friends yet!

FYI, ORU deserved to win that game, they played hard and executed. True that almost every close game has a call or two that could have caused it to go the other way.

Rob, I still think that a team that won 32 games and was 4 points away from the final four losing to a 12-17 team that was ranked #258 out of 318 D1 teams that year is a gigantic upset. There are only a couple of those per year in the entire NCAA. Tulsa went the next 7 weeks (13 games) without losing and winning by an average of over 20 points, including a victory over RPI #11 Tennessee by 20 points. 10 of 13 those teams were ranked higher than ORU.

ash =o)

I'll echo that Ash. Rob, I don't know how you don't classify that as a gigantic upset. We were one of three teams to beat TU all year -- that is a HUGE, GIGANTIC upset.

Just watched that Binam 3-point shot video clip for the first time. Thanks for sharing, that was awesome. More oru fans need to see that clip. I'll try and share it with my oru email group around the country.