ORU at Omaha

theeagleman5

Good Guys heading to Omaha for a weekend series starting today.....this is a battle of the bottom of the Summit League so it's imperative that ORU get 2 of 3 here....if not, well.... TheEagleman doesn't have to say anything more.....time to start hitting the ball and we need some better pitching also.....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

• Like 1

Coaches can affect a few games per season with strategy and substitutions and maybe a stirring pre game speech or two......but in baseball players have to run, throw, hit and pitch.....that's what wins games....time for our guys to step up and play better....or maybe since we lost most of our 2023 CWS team this is what we got and they just ain't very good....geez how the mighty have fallen.....TheEagleman never thought the drop off would be this drastic......😬

• Like 2

Bob Stoops won one national championship in 2001.  He never won another one even though he made it to the playoffs a couple of times.

It is very difficult to string two seasons of high performance - especially for a mid-major school.  We should continue to relish the successes of our team from 2023.  However, to feel that we can maintain that level of competition each and every year is unrealistic. 

Yes, we should win the Summit League each and every year.  There is no reason to expect one of the northern-tier schools to match our resources and coaching.  THAT is where the rub is.  If we fail to win the Summit League - regular season and post-season - we should be highly offended at the effort of a group of players that can perform better if they have each others' backs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well said Bogus.

First of all, I do still relish the CWS and I will to my last day on this planet.  I proudly wear the t-shirt I bought in Omaha.  Wore it in Waco as a matter of fact.  I admit to having some delusions of grandeur that we would be back this year.  Mostly just because it was so awesome and I wanted to experience it again. But it is hard to maintain that high level year in year out for the powerhouse schools let alone our scrappy mid-major program.  

I still hold some optimism for this year.  I haven't run any numbers yet but I feel pretty certain that the ship needs to be righted starting this weekend.  Go Eags!

• Like 2

TheEagleman also wearing his ORU CWS Tshirt today.....last year was a one off....a year to treasure and I have no expectations for a return trip any time soon...it was truly what EXPECT A MIRACLE is all about along with the 2021 ORU Men's Sweet Sixteen run.....but come on.....to drop off to LAST in the Summit which is a league that we should win EVERY SINGLE SEASON.....i know some teams are improved and ORU has a target on our backs....but this squad has just been terrible so far....yeah 2 more months to play ball but improvement is needed and fast.....like this this weekend in Omaha....gotta win 2 of 3 or our chances are sinking faster than that bridge in Baltimore.....which was likely no accident by the way but i digress......GO BLUE!!! :tb-blue:

• Like 2

Another fantastic outing from Jakob Hall!  Although he was robbed of it last week, he should be looking at a Summit League POTW for sure… right?!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ORob2 said:

Another fantastic outing from Jakob Hall!  Although he was robbed of it last week, he should be looking at a Summit League POTW for sure… right?!

You would think, but the league office is located out of our area code.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Personally, at this stage with nothing of prestige to really play for, I don't care if we beat another mid-week team or if we lose one or two more SL games, but.....    I do care if we don't win the regular season and lose the Summit League tournament at ORU for 2025.  AND I do care if we don't win the SL tournament this year.

The winner of the SL baseball tournament will be a #4 seed in the NCAA regional, so I am OK with going anywhere in the country to represent another ORU run in the regionals, but there is enough talent on this team to win and win big.  Now is the time to start executing.

• Upvote 3

Just in case you were wondering like TheEagleman....ORU beat Omaha 1-0 tonight...Hall goes 8 scoreless innings giving up just 4 hits....Patton gets the save...well done but the bats need to wake up on Good Friday or it might be a bad Friday....God Bless ORU!! :shield-logo:

• Like 1

I watched the first 4 innings or so before I switched over to my beloved Texas Rangers.  Have y'all heard they are the defending World Series Champions?  I may post about that in the Free For All section.

In any event, I started watching at work and then listened on my drive home.  Did anyone watch on the SLN network?  The Omaha broadcast was pretty funny.  First of all, they easily have as much work to do on proper camera work as our crew does.  I did see a few catches in the outfield but not many.

They had a couple of, what I assume were, undergrads doing the play by play and color commentary.  My first thought on the play by play was that I was going to enjoy her broadcast.  She has a pleasant voice and an easy going, very conversational style.  Then she commented that neither team had scored any "points."  After awhile I realized she never identified a pitch.  I'll be honest, with my naked eye I'm lucky to correctly identify fast ball vs. breaking ball.  Maybe I can distinguish a curve ball from other breaking pitches...maybe.  But we were getting none of that and often on called balls we got no description of where the ball missed. 

Color commentary broadcaster was also pleasant enough to listen to but offered very little insight.  When it was tied 0-0 in the third, the play by play person asked color commentary what she thought of the game so far and we got something along the lines of "it's been really close so far.  I think it is going to be a close game."  Okay.

I it isn't my intent to hate on these young women.  I'm glad Omaha is giving them some live broadcast experience.  Both of them are nice broadcasters but do not bring a lot of baseball knowledge to the table.   I have two reasons for this post.

1. It is an attempt to be fair and balanced since I have been very critical of the camera work at JLJ.
  2. To appreciate the great Adam Hildebrand who does a fantastic job calling our games.  

It is Easter weekend, He is Risen!, so I don't know if I will get to watch the next two games at Omaha but if I do, I will do my best to synch up Adam's call to the SLN video stream.  

Have a great Good Friday friends!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Anyone care to talk about that elephant sitting in our living room?

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! 🤮

Shut out twice in one week. 

In fifty years of following ORU baseball, I just can’t recall ORU ever fielding a team this…challenged. 🫣

• Upvote 2

Might need to start giving some backups/freshmen some opportunities to show what they can do.  The hitting needs some help and you can’t keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

It may have been coach-speak, but Coach Folmar spoke very highly of this group before the season started. I'm a little surprised they have struggled the way they have. Bogus has repeatedly posted about the talent level we have on the team - but somehow, as with the basketball team this year, the chemistry just doesn't appear to be there.

• Upvote 3

It's not too late for this team to gel, but it certainly appears that the "pride" of the team is still developing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

It's not too late for this team to gel, but it certainly appears that the "pride" of the team is still developing.

Soooo...when IS it "too late"?

I guess 4th Place is the immediate goal; just to participate in the championship at beautiful JLJ.

"Can't Win It If You're Not In It"!  #MakeNoUnrealisticPlansHere

• Upvote 2

True....you just have to play better than the fourth place team.  Then you can start your run. 

Unfortunately, we lose the ability to host next year's Summit League BSB tournament, which is a downer for the fans. 

Expect the worst and hope for the best, right??! 🤣

46 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Soooo...when IS it "too late"?

I guess 4th Place is the immediate goal; just to participate in the championship at beautiful JLJ.

"Can't Win It If You're Not In It"!  #MakeNoUnrealisticPlansHere

Not one team over .500 in the entire league.  We will be the #4 seed in the #1 national seed's regional at this rate.