2024 Coaching Changes

ORUTerry

39 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

In other news, it apears that Coach Cal will be making in excess of $8 million per year at Arkansas, just a shade under what he was making at Kentucky - in his world, pocket change. But he's expected to have the largest fund of NIL money to work with in the nation - for now.

I was stunned that Calipari has been promised $5 million a year for NIL at Arkansas, till someone who knows informed me today that EVERY STARTER at Duke got $1 million EACH this past season.

I continue to be shocked by these NIL numbers for college basketball players. 

Is there ANY classification of worker in the country that is more grossly overpayed, with the possible exception of this bozo?  #IYKYK

Pat Mcafee Dancing GIF by FanDuel

• Upvote 1

ESPN says 5 yrs $42.5 mill at UA. And what do we pay Springmann?? ORU could extend HCRS for a half century and he wouldn't make that.....😬

On 4/8/2024 at 5:40 PM, tmh8286 said:

I missed it.

In other news, it apears that Coach Cal will be making in excess of $8 million per year at Arkansas, just a shade under what he was making at Kentucky - in his world, pocket change. But he's expected to have the largest fund of NIL money to work with in the nation - for now. We'll see how long that lasts. I'm beginning to think that the pockets of fans in the college sports world have no bottoms.

From what I understand this was a win/win for Coach Cal and UK.  UK was seriously considering letting Coach Cal go which would have cost them $33M.  So Coach Cal saves face and UK saves $s.  Everyone is happy.  UK thinks they can throw $10MM a year at Hurley and get him to leave UConn.  We shall see.

If you don't think UK was going to fire Calipari consider that they released him from his contract to go to anothet SEC school.  That says "don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you."

• Upvote 1

The old ORU coach, Bill Self, makes about 9.5 million a year.  That is tops in D1 basketball.  I do not know for sure but I would guess Coach Springmann makes around 400-500K per year.  Big difference between him and the blue blood coaches.

Coach Cal has his work cut out at Arkansas.  Right now, the Razorbacks have 0 players on the roster.  Everyone either transferred or the high school guys backed out.  Should be interesting with 13 new faces next year.

Looks like UK has offered Scott Drew. 

As far as Cal goes, with all the NIL money he has to offer, his roster will be loaded in a few weeks. And, he'll likely underachieve with it. 

• Upvote 2

Scott Drew turns down Kentucky today.  I cannot say I blame him because if you don't go to a Final Four right away, the Wildcat fanbase has you for lunch.  Yes you can make a ton of money but is the pressure really worth it at Kentucky.  A coach would have to have a mega personality and tough skin to handle all that hate from their fans.  It is one of those jobs where, unless you win a title, no matter what you do it is never good enough.

• Upvote 5

Sounds like the Wildcats are going to that next tier of Power 5 coaches.  I heard a good line on the radio this morning.  If Nate Oates goes to Lexington the Wildcats will have been coached by Hall and Oates.  Many of you are not old enough to get that.  On the other side of the ledger @ORU40 is more than likely to produce a recruiting letter or a story about Joe B 🙃

• Haha 1

I figure myself to be on the "last-to-know" basis when it come to sports info, so I imagine that the few on here that care probably already know - Mark Pope of BYU to Kentucky. 

Kind of an interesting pick in my opinion. He's been somewhat successful at BYU, taking them to first round losses in the NCAA Tournament twice. It will be interesting to see how manages at Kentucky.

• Upvote 1

Pope is a good coach but can he win games in the NCAA tournament?  That is the main question because Kentucky fans will not put up with more first round losses.  It all comes down to the Big Dance for Kentucky.  

37 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Pope is a good coach but can he win games in the NCAA tournament?  That is the main question because Kentucky fans will not put up with more first round losses.  It all comes down to the Big Dance national championships for Kentucky.  

Fixed it for you, @Keenan Henderson🤣

If you have been around a UK fan, you know that this is true.

• Haha 2

On 4/13/2024 at 11:26 AM, tmh8286 said:

I figure myself to be on the "last-to-know" basis when it come to sports info, so I imagine that the few on here that care probably already know - Mark Pope of BYU to Kentucky. 

Kind of an interesting pick in my opinion. He's been somewhat successful at BYU, taking them to first round losses in the NCAA Tournament twice. It will be interesting to see how manages at Kentucky.

I truly think the Kentucky boosters were convinced they could back up the Brinks truck and get Hurley or Drew.  They don't realize what a miserable job they have created for their head coach.  Sure Cal has had some disappointing exits but so had Matt Painter before getting to the championship game and so had Tony Bennett before winning it all.  The problem in Lexington is any season that doesn't end in a national championship is a disappointment as @Bogus Smith so elegantly pointed out.

It would appear that even the next tier of coaches such as Nate Oates weren't interested in getting involved in that mess.  So they pull pull in a former player who has a modest amount of success and hope for the best. 

Boosters can really make it hard to sustain success.  I've been told the first thing Nick Saban did when he got to Alabama was tick off all the boosters by telling them they were no longer in charge and setting serious boundaries on what they could do.

• Upvote 3

On 4/13/2024 at 11:26 AM, tmh8286 said:

Once Scott Drew said no, they were going to bring in a former player. No way they were going to keep getting embarrassed by coaches turning down what they consider the top job in college Basketball(Their thoughts not mine.) 

Pope shouldn't have even been in the top 5 of their choices. Now they are literally going to give him everything he needs to build a team $$ wise but a whole of lot pressure on him. Pretty darn tough job as far as expectations.

• Upvote 3

Surprised that UK never went after Paul Mills......😛:hc_mills:🙄

• Haha 2