2024 Coaching Changes

ORUTerry

Seems like a decent hire for them (it took long enough).

Also, their graphics people should’ve checked that Welcome would fit on one line before they sent that out. 

16 hours ago, Idig32 said:

Seems like a decent hire for them (it took long enough).

Also, their graphics people should’ve checked that Welcome would fit on one line before they sent that out. 

I believed it saved them some $$ on 04/01/2024. Buyout. Same with the SMU hire. i think Lutz was wanting the SMU job first as much better financial backing and NIL support at that program. They are all in on their move to the ACC. Have raised a ton of $$ from boosters. 

What happens to our buddy Scott Sutton???? Image result for scott sutton oru photos

I wondered as well where Scott might end up.  He would still be a decent head coach at the Summit League type of level if he can get a couple good recruiting assistants.

But the perception might be at this point that he is old news.  He will need to try to resurrect his career if he can latch on as an assistant at a successful high level D1 program.

If he wants to stay in Oklahoma, he might have to step down to the Div 2 or NAIA level.  He probably does not want to do that.

Love the guy. One of the nicest people in college athletics. But, he doesn't/never had the fire in his belly to be a great head coach. Plus, he ain't hurting for cash.

I'd imagine he'll remain as an assistant, cash nice checks, and live a stress free life as a Dad/Hubby. Could also see him being a scout or a consultant. 

• Upvote 1

Calipari to Arkansas. Huge get for the Razorbacks, especially with his recruiting ability.

• Upvote 1

As a big Razorback fan, I am very pleased with Arkansas getting Coach Cal.  First they missed out on Beard and Tang and I thought the program was falling apart.  Then they hire Coach Cal, a big turn around for the Hogs.  At this late in the game it was the best they could hope for.  Now who will go to Kentucky?  Maybe Mills old boss, Scott Drew.

26 minutes ago, 2014Grad said:

Calipari to Arkansas. Huge get for the Razorbacks, especially with his recruiting ability.

Kentucky took Eddie Sutton from Arkansas.  It is only fitting that Arkansas get Calipari as the "player to be named later". 🤣

Hiring Calipari would not meet the requirements of "Moneyball" if a program is looking for wins at a cheaper price.  There are a lot more affordable coaches out there for the picking.

Regardless, maybe Arkansas will now play ORU again - maybe even a 2-for-1 to the Mabee Center to get in the good graces of the Tulsa Razorback Club!

• Upvote 1

Chicken billionaire John Tyson has reportedly promised Calipari $5 million in NIL money annually at Arkansas.

Stay tuned for the bidding war between Arkansas, Kansas, Memphis and others for the services of Owasso wunderkind Jalen Montanati.  You never know; Jalen might just stay in school the full four years if he can get a couple of million bucks a season and his degree to boot.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Chicken billionaire John Tyson has reportedly promised Calipari $5 million in NIL money annually at Arkansas.

Stay tuned for the bidding war between Arkansas, Kansas, Memphis and others for the services of Owasso wunderkind Jalen Montanati.  You never know; Jalen might just stay in school the full four years if he can get a couple of million bucks a season and his degree to boot.

Kill Me Smh GIF

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 2014Grad said:

I have to admit, this is the first I've heard of this, and I find it pretty shocking. I've read about the troubles Coach Cal has had at Kentucky, that he's pretty much lost the support of the people he works for, but the $33 million buyout made his job relatively secure. While admittedly working in a fairly high stress environment (don't all coaches?), his $9 million a year salary would seemingly cover a world of hurts. 

So to see he'd moved to Arkansas was totally shocking to me. I've yet to hear a salary figure - could it compare with Kentucky? But a guaranteed MINIMUM $5 million in NIL money leaves me shellshocked. What in the world is becoming of our beloved game of college basketball? It appears to be rapidly getting to the point that college players will be disappointed to go to Europe to play ball after college because of the DECREASE IN INCOME from overseas! Incredible!!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I also saw that Razorback alum Jerry Jones was involved in getting coach Cal, so it sounds like money was no object and it came down to the AD or school rep saying "coach, what's it going to take to bring you to Fayetteville?" Cal threw out some ridiculous number$ and the response was "deal, welcome to Arkansas!!" 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I also saw that Razorback alum Jerry Jones was involved in getting coach Cal, so it sounds like money was no object and it came down to the AD or school rep saying "coach, what's it going to take to bring you to Fayetteville?" Cal threw out some ridiculous number$ and the response was "deal, welcome to Arkansas!!" 

Reminds me of a favorite scene from the classic "Heaven Can Wait":

WARNING:  a couple of curse words.

• Haha 2

Hahahaha!! Calipari a total huckster and proves once again he's a complete fraud....not a bad coach mind you...but all about the benjamins....🤑

Hog fans must be mortified....😋

In Case You Missed It:  I just reposted (then quickly deleted) tweets in the last hour from Big Blue Nation AND Bleacher Report stating that John Calipari had shockingly signed a lifetime contract...with KENTUCKY.

Then, I noticed the original date of both tweets:  April Fools Day of 2019.  Some tool at MajorMadness.com reposted them today, presumably as an ironic joke.

I hate the internet....LOL

(Honestly, I think I found the idea of Calipari using Arkansas just to get a contract extension from Kentucky more believable than the idea of Calipari going to Arkansas in the first place.)

• Upvote 1

I missed it.

In other news, it apears that Coach Cal will be making in excess of $8 million per year at Arkansas, just a shade under what he was making at Kentucky - in his world, pocket change. But he's expected to have the largest fund of NIL money to work with in the nation - for now. We'll see how long that lasts. I'm beginning to think that the pockets of fans in the college sports world have no bottoms.