ORU Notebook: Moving up (TW)

tmh8286

ORU Notebook: Moving up

by MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

2/11/2007

Link

ORU forward Caleb Green had to be told that he had become the second-leading scorer in Mid-Continent history.

With 21 points against Southern Utah, Green has 2,322 for his career. He passed Mike Helms of Oakland (Mich.), who scored 2,314 points in 2000-04.

"I didn't know that had happened," Green said. "Right now, it's just a big blur. After 10 years, I'll be able to look back on it, relish it and tell my kids. But we've got a goal (of winning a third straight conference title) and we've got to finish it. That's the main goal and objective."

Fast start: Yemi Ogunoye scored seven of ORU's first nine points on a follow shot, mid-range jumper and 3-pointer. The seven points tied his career high for a game. Usually known for his defensive work, the 6-foot-9 Ogunoye is one of the least-frequent shooters in the Mid-Con, averaging less than two shots per game.

Crawl space: ORU will conduct its fifth annual Diaper Derby at halftime of the Feb. 17 BracketBusters game against Utah State, with 10 toddlers racing on hands and knees across the Mabee Center floor.

Raising the bar: ORU's 10-1 start is its best ever in conference play. The 1983-84 team started 9-1 in the Midwestern Collegiate Conference, but lost its 11th game.