Today in Sports (Woosie)

titansforever

Who remembers? I sure do!

1977 — Anthony Roberts of Oral Roberts scores 65 points in a 90-89 loss to Oregon in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament.

• Like 3

I remember - although, as I've said on this board a number of times before - I remember it from the winner's side of the contest. I was attending the University of Oregon at the time. I wasn't into sports at all in those days, and was quite taken by the buzz all over campus about the win by the basketball team the evening before!!

• Like 1

I think Friday is the 50th anniversary of ORUs loss to Kansas in OT in the Elite 8.....probably something we will never see again....the first 37 minutes of that game were amazing....:tb-white:

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, tmh8286 said:

I remember - although, as I've said on this board a number of times before - I remember it from the winner's side of the contest. I was attending the University of Oregon at the time. I wasn't into sports at all in those days, and was quite taken by the buzz all over campus about the win by the basketball team the evening before!!

Although of little consequence i do need to clarify - I was not attending the University of Oregon in 1977, and the story related above was from the first meeting between the teams in 1975. Dates get a little foggy this far down the road. I was having some trouble figuring how I could have experienced that in 1977, when I thought I was taking a year off, but the situation seemed to fit. It wasn't until I started watching the 1977 game that OT posted, and the announcers mentioned the earlier matchup in 1975, that I realized the teams had played twice and the one I was remembering was the first round.

FWIW!!

• Like 2