Post season awards

Keenan Henderson

I believe the Summit League comes out with its awards this year on Wednesday.  I would think McBride, Thompson and Bedford will get some recognition.  Kareem is 2nd in steals, 3rd in assists, and 4th in rebounding in the Summit League.  Pretty impressive for the senior.

• Like 1

I don’t think the last place team will get much recognition lol. Maybe McBride 2nd team for his high scoring, and Bedford squeaks in to newcomer team, but I don’t see much else? I think if we won more games Kareem could MAYBE get pushed into the convo. Maybe just me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/5/2024 at 12:31 PM, 2014Grad said:

I don’t think the last place team will get much recognition lol. Maybe McBride 2nd team for his high scoring, and Bedford squeaks in to newcomer team, but I don’t see much else? I think if we won more games Kareem could MAYBE get pushed into the convo. Maybe just me.

Good call, you were mostly right 2014 Grad.  McBride got 2nd team honors and no else received any awards.  I thought Bedford would be on the all newcomer team with his solid scoring and rebounding numbers but that was not the case.  KC really cleaned up with player awards and they also won coach of the year.

I thought Tommy Bruener was the MVP in the league.  Yes, Denver struggled but he led the nation in scoring and the conference in assists.

14 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Good call, you were mostly right 2014 Grad.  McBride got 2nd team honors and no else received any awards.  I thought Bedford would be on the all newcomer team with his solid scoring and rebounding numbers but that was not the case.  KC really cleaned up with player awards and they also won coach of the year.

I thought Tommy Bruener was the MVP in the league.  Yes, Denver struggled but he led the nation in scoring and the conference in assists.

Interestingly, Tommy Bruener was Player of the Month for each of the first three months of the basketball season; Mayo was only POM for the most recent month.  In the eyes of the writers/voters, I guess it is "what have you done for me lately" that counts.  🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

Winning also factors into it, 90% of the time the player of the year award won’t go to a guy on a team in 7th place. I feel like regardless of stats, you needa be a top 2-3 team to get that, COY, DPOY etc.

• Upvote 1

If you look at just stats then Kareem's were better than Anthony of St. Thomas, who made the 2nd team all league squad.  In the end it is about winning and not stats.

It's a crime that Paul Sather of North Dakota did not win Coach of the Year.

Sather got all he could out of a team with no stars that was a preseason cellar pick; if anything Marvin Minzies at KC was a detriment to the success of arguably the most talented roster in the league.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Sather got all he could out of a team with no stars that was a preseason cellar pick; if anything Marvin Minzies at KC was a detriment to the success of arguably the most talented roster in the league.

Reaching for the Summit really needs to have you as a guest on their lousy podcast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

That is a good call OT.  I thought for sure Sather would be fired last year because UND had struggled for about the last 5 years.  Then they gave him another contract and he took the Hawks from 9th place last year to tied for 2nd this year.  He should have won coach of the year.

• Upvote 2