2 similar losses: Girls vs OAK and Guys at Valpo

Sterns78

Sounds like this game went down like the girls' game with clutch 3's by the other team and a few missed free throws. Guys did better on free throws, though.

Had both ORU teams fouled their opponents with only seconds on the clock they would not have given up the 3-pointer to tie the game and send it to OT.  I don't go along with the theory to not foul with less than 5 seconds on the clock. 

I've heard Scott Sutton talk about this, and I don't think he's against doing it, this situation just wasn't really conducive to getting the foul set up.  Here's how the end of reg played out, according to play by play record:

Yemi misses second FT shot and ball is rebounded by Huff with 18 seconds  remaining.  McPherson takes three point shot at 12 seconds remaining.  Huff rebounds, ball is passed around, Huff takes and makes 3 pt. shot with 5 seconds remaining. 

The prevailing thought is that if you foul with more than 5-6 seconds left, it allows the opponent to shoot free throws, foul you, stop the clock again, and get another possession after free throws.  In addition, it almost requires a timeout so that the coach can instruct the players to foul.  At the last opportunity for a time out in last night's game, Yemi still had a free throw to shoot.  Maybe Sutton could have called a TO before the free throws and told the team, "if Yemi misses the second shot, wait till the clock runs down to five seconds and then foul"; but I just don't see that happening very often.

I agree with you in the women's game, however; that was the ideal situation for using the foul when up by three points.

Scott addressed that directly in his post-game radio interview.  He said that as things turned out, he would have wanted Yemi to foul before the player shot, when there was about 5 seconds left, but apparently it wasn't something they discussed ahead of time.

It sounds to me like they should cover scenarios like that in practice so that players know what is expected of them.

Also, when we inbounded the ball with 3.7 seconds left, we should have been able to get a decent 3-point shot, but instead the players looked confused and clearly were not prepared to handle an end of the game situation like that.

I hope the coaches prepare the players better for specific situations like that in the future...

I also hope that ORU asks for a clarification from the Mid-Con on what should be defined as an intentional foul.  I thought that if your worst FT-shooting player is fouled away from the ball by a team that is behind before the ball is inbounded, then it should clearly be defined as an "intentional foul".  The refs let Homer do it twice in a row, which makes the 2nd foul even more obviously intentional.

Also, the "flops" that resulted in a few bogus charging calls on Caleb were clearly emphasized by Homer in another shrewd coaching move, and the refs called every single one of them.  I don't recall even 1 charge being called against Valpo, while there were I think 4 charging fouls against ORU (the one against Sango was definitely the correct call, but the ones against Caleb looked bogus to me).

This is nit-picking, Jason, but if you check the play-by-play, there were four charges called on Caleb.  Others were in addition to those.

Excellent post, though. 

For the record - Valpo got two charging calls, one against Igbavboa and one against Mbaye.

ORU had five charging calls - four against Caleb (to the absolute delight of the Valpo crowd) and one against Sango.

I don't recall even 1 charge being called against Valpo, while there were I think 4 charging fouls against ORU (the one against Sango was definitely the correct call, but the ones against Caleb looked bogus to me).

I don't think the charging calls against Caleb resembled me at all...    :-D:roll:

Guest Rob Marshall

Scott addressed that directly in his post-game radio interview.  He said that as things turned out, he would have wanted Yemi to foul before the player shot, when there was about 5 seconds left, but apparently it wasn't something they discussed ahead of time.

It sounds to me like they should cover scenarios like that in practice so that players know what is expected of them.

Also, when we inbounded the ball with 3.7 seconds left, we should have been able to get a decent 3-point shot, but instead the players looked confused and clearly were not prepared to handle an end of the game situation like that.

I hope the coaches prepare the players better for specific situations like that in the future...

I'll echo Tim's words, absolutely terrific post Jason!  I know for a fact Scott and his staff have addressed this situation, but I don't think it's something they are absolutely convinced about just yet ... thus the indecisiveness and lack of direction for Yemi (or any of the players) when put in that situation.  NBA guys do this every time, and so perhaps professional players just know what to do.  With college kids, you either have to teach this over and over in practice to prepare them to just know what to do instinctively without a timeout (like the pros do) OR you have to specifically instruct them by taking a timeout (or by calling your guards over while Yemi was headed to the line and say, "okay guys, if he makes both DO NOT FOUL; if he ONLY makes ONE AND the game clock gets UNDER FIVE SECONDS, commit a foul and put them on the line to shoot the two shot bonus FTs rather than letting them get off a 3pt shot attempt."

Two (2) questions, what is ORU's record in overtime games (home and away)?  How many times has ORU ended up losing in overtime when they were up three and did NOT foul, allowing the other team to shoot and make a three-point FG to tie the game?  Conversely, what is ORU's record in games where they won by three and did NOT foul.  Tim, are you up to working on this one?  :-D