Wichita State at ORU

Otis 83

I'm really just starting this thread so I can start the Baylor thread 🤣

The Shockers roll into JLJ with a 3-3 record.  They took 2 of 3 from UALR opening weekend before heading to the Jax College Baseball Classic.  In Jacksonville they dropped a close one 5-4 to #14 UVA.  Got run ruled by Auburn 19-8 and then whooped up on #18 Iowa 12-6.  

As a team they are batting .329 with an OPS of .985 and a SLG% of .525.  They have 8 home runs in 6 games.  Perhaps the most interesting stat I've come across is they've been HBP 20 times in this young season!  Gotta admit that makes me a bit nervous but I'm hoping we see continuing improvement from our pitching staff tomorrow night.  They have 8 errors on the year resulting in a fielding percentage of .961.

Speaking of pitching, I haven't seen any word on who we will have on the bump against the Shockers.  Does anyone know if last year's midweek starter Josh Caravalho is still on the injury list?  The Shockers have listed Caden Favors (3.65 ERA) as the projected starter.

There have been a number of fine additions to the Golden Eagle squad this season and one of them, David Herring, will be facing off against his former team.  That could be interesting.

If you read the game notes at oruathletics.com you read this note. Keep an eye out for Dayvin Johnson, the outfielder batted .500 against two top-25 teams, driving in four runs, and being named to the Jax CBC All-Tournament Team. 

Should be a good mid-week match up and could tell us a lot about our team.

• Upvote 2

Weather will be taking a dive overnight, but I'm hoping to make it out tomorrow!

...I have a few questions for Coach Mills. Oh wait, which topic/thread is this?

7 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Weather will be taking a dive overnight, but I'm hoping to make it out tomorrow!

...I have a few questions for Coach Mills. Oh wait, which topic/thread is this?

Not sure HCPM has any answers at this point.  Dang it!  You drew me offsides.

• Haha 1

Gonna be a nippy blustery afternoon at JLJ for ORU vs. the Shockers.....Grip and OKC Eagle better bring their flasks filled to the brim.....🥃😛🥃

21 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Perhaps the most interesting stat I've come across is they've been HBP 20 times in this young season!  Gotta admit that makes me a bit nervous but I'm hoping we see continuing improvement from our pitching staff tomorrow night. 

😬😬😬

Coach Fulmer just told Adam on the streaming pre-game that LHP Owen Reynolds will get the start today.  Coach expects Reynolds to go 2 or 3 innings before they go to the bullpen to give some guys some work.  

It looks like a beautiful day in south Tulsa, the temperature notwithstanding.  

Anyone else getting anything other than the crowd audio feed?  While the audio is always helpful I'm trying to get a little work done so would prefer not to be looking at my phone.

A little crisp, but clear and bright!

ORU loads the bases in the 1st but can’t plate a run. They will need to capitalize on those situations to beat WSU. 

36 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Anyone else getting anything other than the crowd audio feed?  While the audio is always helpful I'm trying to get a little work done so would prefer not to be looking at my phone.

They were having "issues" from what Adam said.  They got cleared up shortly after that, but Adam said he was broadcasting as far as he could tell.

14 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

A little crisp, but clear and bright!

ORU loads the bases in the 1st but can’t plate a run. They will need to capitalize on those situations to beat WSU. 

Had runners on first and second with no outs in the second inning and still couldn't bring home a run.  Four LOBs in two innings.  Not a good omen. 

I had to join a meeting and watch the play by play on my screen.  Pleased to have sound when I was able to rejoin the stream.

ORU playing with fire with 3 walks and 2 HBP and somehow holding the Shockers to only 2 runs.  The Shockers strand 3 in the 3rd and 4th innings without scoring any runs.  Need to tighten things up and get the bats going.

Aaannnddd we walk the first batter in the top of the 6th.

Bases loaded with one out in B9 - down 1-3…

3 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

Well darn. Almost rallied.

I was expecting a miracle . . .

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

I was expecting a miracle . . .

Same.  Here's the positive that I took from that game....the pitching was solid.  That's three straight games we've held our opponent to 3 runs.  The team ERA is down to .688.  We saw guys pitch out of some treacherous situations.  The Shockers strand 9.  Coach Fulmer told us before the game it was going to be a bullpen game.  Urie pitched well after two tough outings against SUIE so hopefully that's a sign of him turning things around.  Still too many free passes so hopefully we can get that under control.  

Bats were too quiet yesterday and we stranded 10.  Elijah Rodriguez was left on base three times batting ahead of Holden Breeze.  I don't expect that to continue.  We had our chance in the bottom of the 9th and just couldn't close.  I'm still optimistic.   On to Waco!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

Same.  Here's the positive that I took from that game....the pitching was solid.  That's three straight games we've held our opponent to 3 runs.  The team ERA is down to .688.  We saw guys pitch out of some treacherous situations.  The Shockers strand 9.  Coach Fulmer told us before the game it was going to be a bullpen game.  Urie pitched well after two tough outings against SUIE so hopefully that's a sign of him turning things around.  Still too many free passes so hopefully we can get that under control.  

Bats were too quiet yesterday and we stranded 10.  Elijah Rodriguez was left on base three times batting ahead of Holden Breeze.  I don't expect that to continue.  We had our chance in the bottom of the 8th and just couldn't close.  I'm still optimistic.   On to Waco!

Excellent recap, Otis!! Great insights.

On 2/28/2024 at 10:43 AM, eagle88 said:

I took my grandson and his 2 friends to the ORU game last Saturday and they loved it. My daughter in law made this post. Coach Folmar has not only recruited good players but they are outstanding young men as well! They took interest in the boys and really encouraged them!

IMG_2799.jpeg

I couldn't agree more. That fact was also brought home at the Diamond Dinner when we had a chance to hear them speak. A very high caliber group of young men!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1