ORU v. SIU-E

Bogus Smith

The good guys started out slow with a 2-spot to SUI-E in the first inning, but came back to put up six runs in the fourth inning and eventually the win, 10-6, over the Cougars.  Solid offense and good pitching by Jakob Hall after giving up the two runs in the first, he also gave up a couple of solo home-runs and still holds an elevated ERA that will stay with him for a few weeks.  Interestingly, Hall has given up only one walk in his two games with double digit strikeouts.

Everyone is still finding their stride, but this will be a good season nonetheless.

• Upvote 3

Here are three key stat indicators that help explain ORU’s early 2-3 record, and also give hope for a very successful season.  

HBP: ORU pitchers have hit 13 batters in five games; ORU batters have been hit three times. 

Home Runs: ORU 4, Opponents 10

Errors: Opponents 7, ORU ZERO.  

You can’t win many games when you allow the opponents extra free passes to first (BB and HBP), and then give up twice as many homers than your offense.  I attribute a lot of this to early season jitters and cold weather, and expect these numbers to improve significantly over the course of the season.  

But, defense wins championships, and a team doesn’t open the season with no errors in the first five games as a “fluke”.  While I know that errors WILL eventually come, I expect the defense of this team to be one of its strongest attributes.  That gives me great hope for long term success.  

• Upvote 6

Why is ORU playing a night game in February?? They appear to have lucked out with Temps in the 50s tonight but geez....could have played day baseball in the 70s....🙄

I suspect it was because both the men’s and women’s basketball team played games this afternoon. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Here are three key stat indicators that help explain ORU’s early 2-3 record, and also give hope for a very successful season.  

HBP: ORU pitchers have hit 13 batters in five games; ORU batters have been hit three times. 

You can’t win many games when you allow the opponents extra free passes to first (BB and HBP), and then give up twice as many homers than your offense.  I attribute a lot of this to early season jitters and cold weather, and expect these numbers to improve significantly over the course of the season.  

But, defense wins championships, and a team doesn’t open the season with no errors in the first five games as a “fluke”.  While I know that errors WILL eventually come, I expect the defense of this team to be one of its strongest attributes.  That gives me great hope for long term success.  

Add to that HBP tally, Blue. . .

7 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Why is ORU playing a night game in February?? They appear to have lucked out with Temps in the 50s tonight but geez....could have played day baseball in the 70s....🙄

Mid-60s at 1st pitch...beautiful! (Sorry Philly folks!) 😃

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

There wasn't enough paid and student staff to do a basketball and baseball game at the same time.  SIU-E was willing to play the night game since they were going to be here for the Sunday game.  The USD women probably wanted to get out of town ASAP after their play today.  🤣

Game Two goes to the good guys, 11-3.  On a five RBI night for catcher, Ryan Blackwell (grand slam and double), the game was tight until the bottom of the fifth when the SIU-E starting pitcher loaded the bases and his reliever gave up the six runs needed for ORU to win.  Brooks Fowler had a great outing, solidifying his progress into season-form.

Today, we get out the brooms!! 🧹🧹🧹

• Like 1

I listened to the game on the drive home from my daughter’s acro & tumbling meet at Texas Lutheran.  Great game by the Golden Eagles. Does anyone have an update on the fan who was hit by the foul ball?

I will be by the channel today for game 3. 

10 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I listened to the game on the drive home from my daughter’s acro & tumbling meet at Texas Lutheran.  Great game by the Golden Eagles. Does anyone have an update on the fan who was bit by the foul ball?

I will be by the channel today for game 3. 

The ball hit an older lady on the top of the head (it wasn't a line drive), but obviously hurt.  She walked out of the stadium under her own power and was checked out by EMSA (paramedics), but don't believe she was transported to the hospital.  She will be hurting today, I would think.

• Like 1

Hummmm....Acro and Tumbling vs. ORU men's basketball....tough choice there. But i think you made the right one, Otis my man!!! 🤔

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Hummmm....Acro and Tumbling vs. ORU men's basketball....tough choice there. But i think you made the right one, Otis my man!!! 🤔

Eagleman, even if the MBB team didn’t stink I would choose watching my daughter compete over our beloved Golden Eagles. However if they were good I probably would have monitored the game on my phone. But given the current circumstances I was able to give my soul focus to the UMHB Crusaders. 

2 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

The ball hit an older lady on the top of the head (it wasn't a line drive), but obviously hurt.  She walked out of the stadium under her own power and was checked out by EMSA (paramedics), but don't believe she was transported to the hospital.  She will be hurting today, I would think.

Glad to hear that Bogus. Initially, our fill in play by play guy was very concerned. 

• Upvote 1

Fran Healy Nba GIF by Travis

8-3 for the good guys in Game 3.  Beautiful day to watch a ballgame. 

Now onward to Wichita State on Wednesday.  WSU is 3-3 on the season after beating #18 Iowa today 12-6 in a baseball tournament in Jacksonville, FL.  The Shockers have been on the road all year and don't have their first home game until this Friday.  #RoadWarriors

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ryan Carmack bounced back from a rough debut against Evansville.  8 Ks and only 1 run.  Maybe just one bad pitch for the solo homer?  Hopefully this is the version of Carmack that we will see for the rest of the season.  I was listening to Adam and it sounded like he got a lot of swing and miss on the slider early.  Second time through the order they were laying off that pitch and Carmack mixed things up to continue to rack up Ks. I'm very encouraged to see that kind of adjustment in game.

All the way around we saw a much better performance by the pitching staff this weekend albeit against what is probably weaker competition.  I'm still trying to figure Baylor out but regardless of how good the Bears are this year we are definitely facing stronger competition in Waco.  Try not lose sleep waiting for my analysis of that series later this week.  🙃

:shield-logo:

• Upvote 2

TheEagleman is happy that the Good Guys turned it around this weekend with a trio of solid wins....good hitting and pitching and defense.....plus I love those light blue ORU uniforms with the red numbers....very cool....:shield-logo:

On 2/23/2024 at 7:54 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

I can't wait to read your baseball insight each week.  This is really good stuff.  We finally logged our first error this weekend, it was inevitable, but the team fielding percentage so far is .996.  Last year it was .984!  This coaching staff seems to know how to coach defense and identify the players that can execute to that high standard.

On 2/26/2024 at 8:32 AM, Otis 83 said:

I can't wait to read your baseball insight each week.  This is really good stuff.  We finally logged our first error this weekend, it was inevitable, but the team fielding percentage so far is .996.  Last year it was .984!  This coaching staff seems to know how to coach defense and identify the players that can execute to that high standard.

ORU was the only team in the country to play their first six games of the 2024 season without an error. Even after recording their first error in game seven, the Golden Eagle .996 fielding percentage still ranks as the top defense in Division 1 baseball.  

• Like 4

I thought it was funny that our most veteran in-fielder, Holden Breeze, was the first Golden Eagle to commit an error this season!  I have tried to find a replay of this game so that I could see that, but it seems that the replay of Sunday's game (or any baseball game) isn't on Midco/SLN or somewhere else on the ORUSN.  Does someone know something I don't?