Diamond Dinner tonight

tmh8286

I got their a little late, so I didn't get a chance to check out the silent auction, but had a good time having dinner with a bunch of nice people.  I sat next to Stephen Barnes, a transfer pitcher.  We also had Chris Ashman at our table.  Chris was born and raised in Hemet, CA, a place I lived while in grade school, and I had fun talking with him about that.  Those guys are planning on going deep into the post-season.  Hope they're right!

Quite a few pro players there, both past and present.  Also saw most of the local message board posters, at least those that I know.  This deal was well-supported attendance-wise, by the way, with nearly 500 people there.

The "speaker" seemed like a good guy.  He didn't really do any sort of a speech; instead, George Frasier asked him leading questions that let him talk about his career.  George Frasier does a superb job of MC'ing these things - he seems to know everyone in the audience personally.

A fun evening of baseball and baseball talk, priming us for the start of baseball on Feb. 10!

MaryLou & Jennifer Haxton (Jeff's wife) did a great job on the auction. There were some cool items that went way too cheap, like a basket of Oakleys valued over $500 that went for half of that.  Gift basket of product & a hair cut from ACS, $200 value for $50 (haircuts are $85 there).

I know that Sunday night seems like a bad time for a lot of the ORU fans, but last night checking in former players & guests, quite a few had come for Hall of Fame Night on Saturday and were able to make it a big weekend. They said if the Diamond Dinner had been on a different night they couldn't have attended.  So, I've decided personally that it is only once a year and I can live with the Sunday night.

We had missed last year, but are looking forward to next year...enjoyed being at TMH's table.

Until last night I was unaware of the fact that Geoff Haxton's wife, Jennifer, was on staff in the baseball program.  That's cool!