What a game!

EagleFanatic

That was a fun game and excellent win. I hope we can continue to roll through the mid-con. Oakland looked like a really good team that might give us a run for our money in the tournament. All around good effort by the guys, and Caleb scored most of his points without going to the freethrow line. I have a day to get my voice back and ill be ready to go on Saterday.

Did anyone else notice, although it was a game of runs, first we led big, then they get back in it, then we go on a big run, that we led by five at the half, and won by ten?  It would seem that in spite of all the fluctuations in the score, that we were about five points per half better than the Grizzlies tonight.

I don't look forward to playing them up there, though. That is a good team that could give us fits with a home court advantage.

Guest Rob Marshall

Did anyone else notice, although it was a game of runs, first we led big, then they get back in it, then we go on a big run, that we led by five at the half, and won by ten?  It would seem that in spite of all the fluctuations in the score, that we were about five points per half better than the Grizzlies tonight.

I don't look forward to playing them up there, though. That is a good team that could give us fits with a home court advantage.

Tim, ORU is so much more talented than Oakland so I have to respectfully disagree.  The Golden Eagles had their claws around the griz's throat half-way through the first half and backed off allowing them to gain confidence and sneak back into the game.  If ORU sustains the effort and enthusiasm shown during the first 15 minutes of the game, it's a thirty point Golden Eagle victory.  I'm not sure where Green's head was, but it wasn't where it needed to be.  Marchello and Adam were absolutely terrific tonight and Moses hit a couple of big three's to provide a spark off the bench in the second half.  Really, ORU's a solid fifteen to twenty points better than Oakland if they play to their potential.  But when have 18-22 year olds ever done that consistently?  :wink:

I can't disagree with any of your points, Rob.  I still think Oakland has some great shooters, and we're at all lax in defense and get them going in front of a home crowd, it could be trouble.

I'm curious what aspect of the game you were talking about regarding Caleb - shooting, defense, post moves, all of them?  He managed to make 15 points in the first half.  Right, wrong, or otherwise, I think Caleb loses focus and gets distracted when he feels he's getting fouled but not getting the calls, and I think there was at least a little of that tonight.

Speaking of officiating, while there were a few calls I disagreed with, overall I felt that that was a well officiated game.  JD Collins, Lamont Simpson, Terry Wymer - one of the Mid-Con's best officiating crews.  Collins and Wymer officiated last year's Mid-Con championship game.  It's kind of nice to know that the Mid-Con makes an effort to send some of their best refs to do what should be considered a big game in the conference.

I agree Caleb was a bit off his game in the second half. When he's under the basket a lot of times he draws the foul, and it seems like sometimes he doesnt try his hardest to get it in, when he knows he is going to the line. He wasnt getting the calls last night in the second half and he seemed like he was getting pretty upset.

Speaking of officiating, while there were a few calls I disagreed with, overall I felt that that was a well officiated game.  JD Collins, Lamont Simpson, Terry Wymer - one of the Mid-Con's best officiating crews.  Collins and Wymer officiated last year's Mid-Con championship game.  It's kind of nice to know that the Mid-Con makes an effort to send some of their best refs to do what should be considered a big game in the conference.

Tim, I couldn't disagree more.  The non calls against Caleb down low, the ridiculous traveling calls, and the worst charge call I have ever seen in my life added up to a poorly officiated game, in my opinion. 

What Oakland has that causes trouble, it did for us for sure, are two bangers down low, a great shooter in Kangas if you give him an opening, and a pretty good freshman point.  Plus they seem to like each other.  As Coach Kampe told me when they were here at our place, losing Wooten was actually a  plus for them.  From what I'm reading, it seems that was what happened last night too.  We had them by double digits in the second half and couldn't hold them.  Somehow they just get back at you. Anyway, congrats....big win....

I'm not sure where Green's head was, but it wasn't where it needed to be.  Marchello and Adam were absolutely terrific tonight and Moses hit a couple of big three's to provide a spark off the bench in the second half.  Really, ORU's a solid fifteen to twenty points better than Oakland if they play to their potential.  But when have 18-22 year olds ever done that consistently?   :wink:

I think Caleb and Ken were both worn out in the second half.  Fighting through all those screens on defense, then working so hard to get open on offense takes a toll.  When do they ever have time to rest?  But they both came through in the clutch late.  I thought overall they did a great job...

And I don't know who the African-American ref is, but he seemed lost at times.  He continued to call traveling on Caleb's "pivot-and-duck-under" post move that he has successfully completed hundreds of times before.  I'm not sure what that ref thought he was seeing, but dozens of other referees over a four-year span have considered that move to be just fine.  And his charging call on Caleb was terrible - Caleb WAS out of control on the fast-break drive, but the defensive player wasn't close to being set.  A collision like that by rule should be either a blocking foul on the defense or a no-call; not a charge...

And I don't know who the African-American ref is, but he seemed lost at times.  He continued to call traveling on Caleb's "pivot-and-duck-under" post move that he has successfully completed hundreds of times before.  I'm not sure what that ref thought he was seeing, but dozens of other referees over a four-year span have considered that move to be just fine.  And his charging call on Caleb was terrible - Caleb WAS out of control on the fast-break drive, but the defensive player wasn't close to being set.  A collision like that by rule should be either a blocking foul on the defense or a no-call; not a charge...

OT, you couldn't be more right.  That guy seemed to be totally out of it. 

My Oakland Game Observations:

1. Oakland is a good team. They play together well and within their roles. The Grizzlies, if left open, can shoot the ball ? especially from long range. When we let up on them, they made shots. They are an improved defensive team and while not overly athletic, are fundamentally sound and are in the right positions.  Nelson looked good ? especially in the first half when he scored 15 of his 19 points. Sutton said that they switched Liberty on him in the second half and he was only able to score 4 points. Hopes (the big guy) has a nice mid-range jumper; in fact, he looks more comfortable away from the basket than he does down low. He only had 1(!) rebound in 30 minutes of play. The freshman point guard is good ? had 7 assists along with 4 turnovers to go along with 4 of 11 shooting. Kangas did not get many open looks (thanks to Yemi), but seemed to make the ones he did.

2. We showed good ball movement on offense (17 assists) and were able to get the ball to Green in the low post. They did a poor job of denying the entry pass. If Green had been more on target, he would have had a monster night. He did a much better job on the board in the second half ? he seemed more energized and active. Oakland did a good job of covering the perimeter ? much better than they have in the past. Tutt had trouble getting any space; has he lost a step? It sure looks like it ? on both offense and defense. Both of our stars led the team in turnovers with 5 each. The team totaled 16 turnovers ? too many.

3. Vealy was everywhere; the guy can really elevate. He is hard to guard because he is a true threat from the perimeter but also has some nice post moves. As my son says ? he doesn?t run, he glides. Glad to hear that he is okay with coming off the bench. He should be a shoo-in for the sixth man award. His minutes are taking away from King ? who also looked good last night. Shawn only played 18 minutes but was 3 of 3 from the field and collected 4 rebounds and 2 blocked shots. He is getting more and more confident. I thought that we left Green in a bit too long in the second half (he was winded) and should have brought King in to rest him.

4. Yemi had 0 shot attempts in 24 minutes of playing time, but did a great job on defense ? again. He harassed Kangas all night long. The stats don't tell what Yemi did for us last night. I also thought Sango played well - though his stat line is thin.

5. Ehambe continues to build confidence and provide a potent scoring punch from the bench. He played several minutes in the second half at the same time as Tutt?. Not sure we have done that very much. It certainly stretched the defense to have two good three point shooters in at one time.

6. Liberty played his best game as point guard. He had 8 assists and 3 turnover ? though at least one of those was not his fault. (Ehambe handed the ball to him at half court by the sideline surrounded by two defenders.) He was 4 of 7 from the field and played tough defense ? with at least two breakaway steals. I still wish he would push the ball up the court faster?. I thought they had trouble with our speed and athleticism and I wish we would have exploited it more.

7. I like that we outrebounded Oakland by 9 (38 to 29) and held them to 40.3% fg% (29.4% from the 3-point line). We still need to work on valuing the ball more and cutting down on turnovers. Our free throw shooting was also poor last night. Those are things that we can improve.