Things that were cool to see tonight.

vcboy2000

Marchello Vealy showing some of his offensive agressiveness when down low, tremendous blocking ability, and surprising passing ability when he got the ball.

Eric Fowlkes actually handling the ball well when bringing the it up the floor under pressure. Seemed to have a better handle on the ball overall.

Caleb finally finished a fast-break with a slam!

Larry Owens stopping to hand the ball off to a guard after a steal instead of dribbling it himself.

Coach taking Caleb and Mickey out of the game early when they were not being aggresive on the boards.

My All Time Favorite Moment: Vealy comes out of the game in the first half after not meshing well with the offense and missing some shots. As he sits down he looks down the bench to Adam Liberty, and Adam demonstrates to him what he could do against the defense to get his shot off better. It was a cool moment. When Vealty got back in, he seemed more in control when the ball got to him.

That is a cool moment. i wish i would have seen that.

I thought it was cool the line up with vealy, green, owens, tutt and fowlkes. We could really do some damage.

Observations:

1. This was a nice tune-up game that allowed the coaches to experiment with lineups and player combinations. St. Gregory's is not a good team, but the freshman from Cascia Hall (Ernie Anderson) was a nice player - he should be playing D-1 ball somewhere.

2. Michalec is getting better and better - especially on the offensive side of the court. The high-low play that we run with Mickey and Caleb is very hard to defend. Mickey can lob it to Green for a layup - or if they leave him alone, he can drain the 16 foot jumper.

3. We have a lot of weapons.... I remember when we didn't have five quality players let alone anyone on the bench to come in. When our bench did come in, our 'talent' level came down quite a bit. Not so now. On top of that, we have four players red-shirting - allowing them to develop and contribute in the future.

4. It was good to see our perimeter shooters find their touch. We are going to see a lot of zone defenses this year and the ability to hit the outside jumper is imperative.

5. Vealy is a special player - in the mold of Caleb Green. He made a couple of moves down low that were Green-like. The difference is that Vealy is more athletic than Green and can play facing the basket. He is a great shot-blocker - explodes off the court. Chello does not have Green's instinctive court sense - very few players do. We need to give him more playng time.

I'd add, Terry, that I thought Eric Fowlkes had the best game that I've seen him play. To begin with, he looks much thinner than he used to, and I think that has added to his quickness. I missed the exhibition games, so I didn't see how he did in them, but from what I understand he was turnover prone. He seemed to have that under control last night. I thought he made some good decisions, was quick enough to get a steal and go coast to coast for the flush - it was a thing of beauty. I seriously hope that we continue to see him more in game situations.

In the post-game show Sutton said that in the games that they've played so far he hadn't had the luxury of being able to play the inexperienced players, and was happy that he was able to last night. What he said made perfect sense, at least at the time.

Oh, yeah, on other thing coach said - he said something like, "Marchello Vealy is a Really Special Player." There was a tone to his voice, almost a lilt, that made you think that Sutton has huge expectations for Chello. He spoke in the way a guy might talk about prized possession or rare find - kinda like the guys in "American Treasure" spoke when they finally found the treasure room. I think that Sutton likes what he sees in Chello.

Totally obvious that Chello is Sutton and Co's pet. He stays in the game a lot longer than the other subs, and get more chances to get it right than the others do. If Chris R. or Eric F. hip checks a guy all the way to the basket and is called for a blocking foul, they are on the bench faster than they can say 'Marco Pollo'. Chello will get four chances before he hits the pine. I'm not complaining at all. I really like seeing him out there. Just think it's funny and stating the obvious.