Watching Baseball Games 2024

Otis 83

Good afternoon friends.  I thought I would expand the scope of my information services to the great game of baseball.  Maybe we can get this pinned as well.  I leave that up to the mods.

First of all, I have confirmed with a member of the ORU Athletics staff that all Summit League baseball games, home and away, will be on the Summit League Network.  In addition, all ORU home games will be on the SLN.  I inquired because that isn't yet indicated on the schedule at oruathletics.com nor will you find the Evansville games on the SLN schedule but this is a quote "rest assured, all games will be on SLN."

That having been said, the focus of my efforts will be on non Summit League road games.  It looks like it is time for many of us to fire up those ESPN+ subscriptions.

Opponent    Date(s)         Streaming

• Baylor           March 1-3    ESPN+
  • Arkansas      March 12      ESPN+
  • UALR            March 19      ESPN+
  • OU                March 26      ESPN+
  • OSU              April 2           ESPN+
  • Wichita St    April 17          ESPN+
  • Missouri St   May 14          Nothing on their website

Do you see the theme here? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• ORUTerry pinned this topic
On 2/5/2024 at 3:51 PM, Otis 83 said:

Good afternoon friends.  I thought I would expand the scope of my information services to the great game of baseball.  Maybe we can get this pinned as well.  I leave that up to the mods.

First of all, I have confirmed with a member of the ORU Athletics staff that all Summit League baseball games, home and away, will be on the Summit League Network.  In addition, all ORU home games will be on the SLN.  I inquired because that isn't yet indicated on the schedule at oruathletics.com nor will you find the Evansville games on the SLN schedule but this is a quote "rest assured, all games will be on SLN."

That having been said, the focus of my efforts will be on non Summit League road games.  It looks like it is time for many of us to fire up those ESPN+ subscriptions.

Opponent    Date(s)         Streaming

• Baylor           March 1-3    ESPN+
  • Arkansas      March 12      ESPN+
  • UALR            March 19      ESPN+
  • OU                March 26      ESPN+
  • OSU              April 2           ESPN+
  • Wichita St    April 17          ESPN+
  • Missouri St   May 14          Nothing on their website

Do you see the theme here? 🤣

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Arkansas game on the SEC Network if we have a strong start this season.  With our appearance in the CWS last year, that game could be a good one to see where we stand - especially if we have broken through the rankings by that time.

• Like 1

I'm pleased to report that both the ORU Athletics website and MidCo Sports indicate the opening series vs Evansville will be streamed on the Summit League Network.  My productivity will be lower than usual late Friday afternoon!

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

I'm pleased to report that both the ORU Athletics website and MidCo Sports indicate the opening series vs Evansville will be streamed on the Summit League Network.  My productivity will be lower than usual late Friday afternoon!

Weather is looking dicey for Friday afternoon:  cold front expected to bring temps in the 40's and scattered rain:

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 1.44.30 PM.png

Waiting to see if any of the following transpires:

• Moving first pitch Friday up to noon (or even earlier?) to get the game in before the weather arrives
  • Trying to play through the weather Friday afternoon (with option of suspending weather-interrupted game till Saturday before Game 2 of the series)
  • Proactively moving Friday's game to a doubleheader either Saturday or Sunday, when the weather is supposed to be nicer.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's guessing the Wichita State faithful will be just thrilled on Wednesday when they discover the broadcast from Tulsa, which they've watched for years for free on the ORU Sports Network, is now behind the MIDCO Sports paywall.

As I'm sure fans from OSU, OU, Missouri State, Little Rock, etc. will feel as well... 🤬

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Here's guessing the Wichita State faithful will be just thrilled on Wednesday when they discover the broadcast from Tulsa, which they've watched for years for free on the ORU Sports Network, is now behind the MIDCO Sports paywall.

As I'm sure fans from OSU, OU, Missouri State, Little Rock, etc. will feel as well... 🤬

For real!  I was saddened last week when I talked to a young co-worker of mine about ORU baseball.  She and her husband both went to ORU and she worked for the baseball team during their time in Tulsa.  I asked her if she had subscribed to the SLN and she said they were watching their expenditures and decided against it.  My heart sank.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, there's a reason NO ONE in the college basketball blogger community is talking about Summit League basketball this year, and it's because they CAN'T SEE THE GAMES.  

ESPN+ makes so much more sense for so many reasons, but this is ALL about the conference office kissing MIDCO's big ol' patooty (sp?)

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Yeah, there's a reason NO ONE in the college basketball blogger community is talking about Summit League basketball this year, and it's because they CAN'T SEE THE GAMES.  

ESPN+ makes so much more sense for so many reasons, but this is ALL about the conference office kissing MIDCO's big ol' patooty (sp?)

Commissioner Hockey loves to talk about the fan experience. My experience was better when I watched most games for free. If I have to pay to watch, my experience would be better if I paid for one service, ESPN+, and I got all conference games and most, if not all, non-conference games. 

What Commissioner Hockey is really worried about is the fan experience in the Dakotas. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

What Commissioner Hockey is really worried about is the fan experience in the Dakotas. 

Does anyone else in the country care about the Dakotas except for those in the Dakotas?  Asking for a friend......  😉

• Haha 1

Hey, speaking of streaming bat-&-ball games on ESPN+, today I've been watching OU's women host Miami (Ohio) and Liberty in a doubleheader in their sparkling new softball stadium.

During the middle of the 5th inning in both contests, they played "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond, just like the Boston Red Sox started years ago.

The fans sang along boisterously during the refrain.

The PA announcer did not.

It was a beautiful thing... 🥲  #justsayin   

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Well that just doesn't make sense. Then how did the crowd know the lyrics?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Back to baseball:  the Baylor broadcast tonight on ESPN+ is PHENOMENAL.

Great graphics, multiple camera angles, 2-man Baylor crew is knowledgable and EXTREMELY complimentary of the ORU program and skipper Ryan Folmar.  The crowd mic is a little too loud, but that's a small gripe.

A recording of this game should be required study for the ORU students (and their advisor?) producing the Golden Eagles telecasts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Back to baseball:  the Baylor broadcast tonight on ESPN+ is PHENOMENAL.

Great graphics, multiple camera angles, 2-man Baylor crew is knowledgable and EXTREMELY complimentary of the ORU program and skipper Ryan Folmar.  The crowd mic is a little too loud, but that's a small gripe.

A recording of this game should be required study for the ORU students (and their advisor?) producing the Golden Eagles telecasts.

I have heard that the television production team only has one graphics package to work with.  When we are transitioning from basketball to baseball, the graphics package stays at the Mabee Center until basketball season is over (on Sunday).  Hopefully the Tuesday game with CMU will have a better look-and-feel on our TV broadcast.

I too watched the game last night on ESPN+ and OT is spot on in his analysis of the broadcast.  Very professional and the broadcast team was both extremely knowledgeable and very complimentary.  The graphics and number of camera angles/shots were also impressive.  Finally, it was nice to be able to tune into and watch a game which was easily accessible to the entire nation/world instead of having to pay a bush league local company in the Dakotas for the privilege of watching.  

• Like 3

We had company over last night. All were ORU grads, and I figured after dinner we would retire to the living room, where I had the ORU vs. Baylor game playing on the big screen. Unfortunately, conversation remained in the dining room till our guests deemed it time to leave, meaning the game played to an empty room. However, from time to time I'd here the Baylor crowd erupt, and I knew that wasn't good!!  I was sorry to learn that as we chatted ORU got clobbered, 2-11. I'm hoping today's daytime game brings a different result!!

BTW, I didn't watch enough of the game to see what you guys are talking about. When I turned the game on the announcers were in the middle of a friendly and jovial chat with Coach Fulmer, with the score tied up, 2-2. The small bit I saw was certainly a classy bit of broadcasting. Maybe I'll watch some of the replay while I wait for today's game.

Virtually the same result Saturday in a 9-3 loss:  not enough pitching, not enough hitting, and shockingly poor defense after such a promising start so far in the field.

Hopefully Sunday won't bring a three-peat... 😬

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2024 at 6:40 PM, Old Titan said:

Hey, speaking of streaming bat-&-ball games on ESPN+, today I've been watching OU's women host Miami (Ohio) and Liberty in a doubleheader in their sparkling new softball stadium.

During the middle of the 5th inning in both contests, they played "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond, just like the Boston Red Sox started years ago.

It was a beautiful thing... 🥲  #justsayin   

They played "Sweet Caroline" all three games at Baylor Ballpark.  The PA announcer did not sing along fwiw.

• Haha 3