Jailen Bedford and his impact

Keenan Henderson

We have a week off in between games so let us talk about Jailen Bedford and his performance: can he win newcomer of the Year in the Summit League.  What kind of impact has he had on the Eagles this year?  Does anyone know how he went from a pretty good juco player to an all star type player in D1?  How did Coach Springmann find this guy? etc.

All Star?????? 🙄

He is averaging 14.5 points (9th in the league) and 6.7 rebounds (5th in the league).  Only two other players (Mayo and Denver's big Touko T.) are in the top 10 in both categories.  So yeah he could be a 2nd team all star in the Summit.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bedford's stat line:

PPG:  14.5  (13.9 in conference)

FG%:  44.1%  (38.5% in conference)

3pt%:  41.8% (highest percentage of the starters)  -  (36.8% in conference)

FT%:  77.1%  (85.2% in conference)

Rebs:  6.7  (7.4 in conference)

• Upvote 4

From the first game this season it was clear that Bedford deserved to be a starter.  Just a very reliable player who you can trust whenever he is on the floor and a great addition to the team this year indeed.

• Upvote 4

I think he could win newcomer of the year in the Summit League, with a strong finish.  The only guy with better numbers is USD's Lahat Thionne who transferred from UCF.  He averages 13.6 points and 9.9 rebounds.  J.B. has somewhat softened the blow of losing Max at the two guard spot.  He will never be in Max's league or the kind of scorer Midcourt was but still he has helped to form a strong 1-2 punch in the backcourt with Isaac McBride.

On a side note: Bedford has had the most impact for a juco player in his first year with ORU since Robert Jarvis in 2007-08.  Jarvis in the first year from juco averaged 16 points and 2 rebounds while winning the 6th man of the year award.  Not bad company to be a part of!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I think he could win newcomer of the year in the Summit League, with a strong finish.  The only guy with better numbers is USD's Lahat Thionne who transferred from UCF.  He averages 13.6 points and 9.9 rebounds.  J.B. has somewhat softened the blow of losing Max at the two guard spot.  He will never be in Max's league or the kind of scorer Midcourt was but still he has helped to form a strong 1-2 punch in the backcourt with Isaac McBride.

On a side note: Bedford has had the most impact for a juco player in his first year with ORU since Robert Jarvis in 2007-08.  Jarvis in the first year from juco averaged 16 points and 2 rebounds while winning the 6th man of the year award.  Not bad company to be a part of!

I’m not sure if his impact was as pronounced as Jarvis but Michael Craion had a great first season at ORU coming from a juco and I believe he also won newcomer of the year back in 2010. 

Bedford has been a great addition, I honestly can’t imagine how poor our offense could have been without him.

• Upvote 1

Like the rest of you, I was pleasantly surprised when I watched Bedford play his first game in an ORU uniform at UT Arlington - and he continues to impress me. Kinda like the 2000-2021, season when I first saw a JUCO transfer from East Central Community College named  Kareem Thompson. 

• Upvote 1

Good call about Michael C.  I had forgotten about him being a juco stand out his first year (13 points and 7 rebounds).  Kareem was a good player his first year about 9 points and 4 rebounds but he had Max/K.O.   So the talent around Kareem meant he could be more of a role player and slowly build his stats.   Coach Mills always had a lot of good things to say about Thompson early on, like he could be a breakout player but we never heard anything about Bedford.  That is why to me he is such a huge surprise (a good one of course)!

Where would ORU be without Bedford's rebounding?  In big trouble of course.  He has led the team in rebounding most of the year, Kareem just last game tied him for the lead.  What is most impressive is that JB was an average rebounder in Juco (4 a game) and now he is around 7 per game at the D1 level.  He is very aggressive in his approach for a guy that does not have super size or strength.

He must have really worked on his game in the summer to make this big of a jump in one year.  The first fruits of the new Mike Carter athletic building!

• Upvote 1

The Mitchell Report: Sizing Up The #SummitMBB Newcomer of the Year Race 𝗧𝗮𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮 𝗰𝗹𝗼𝘀𝗲𝗿 𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗮𝘁: Jailen Bedford, Oral Roberts Jaxon Brenchley, Denver Jamar Brown, Kansas City Raheem Mitchell, St. Thomas (📸) Kaleb Stewart, South Dakota Lahat Thioune, South Dakota

Interesting - This Mitchell Report doesn't consider any potential newcomers of the year from the two teams currently tied for first place, but it includes South Dakota's two impressive newcomers; and we all know where SD is currently in the very tight Summit League standings.   

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have a video of Bedford's dunk on Denver?  It was off the charts!

• 1 month later...

Been thinking of who from the past is similar to Bedford and came up with Warren Niles.  Not saying he is as good as Niles but they both were similar: good size for the shooting guard position, score inside and out, and both played with solid intensity.  Who does Bedford remind you of?

• Like 1

In my mind, Beford was the best athlete on the team this year. If we are going to get better we have to recruit athletes like Jalen. After taking a look at that dunk against Denver, there is no one else on our team who could make a play like that. Not Kareem, not DJ, no Jones. Maybe "Slim" but we haven't really seen it yet from him. Love the agression and the style. I hope he stays next year. 

• Upvote 1

Good comments are welcome on this (or any other individual student-athlete's) performance.  However, be mindful that the students and athletes read this board and any of us should temper our comments to not criticize a student-athlete's performance over the course of a season.  They can't defend themselves here and there may be extenuating circumstances for the reason that they performed in the manner that would be criticized. 

We should always be careful of analyzing a specific student-athlete.  They play a team sport.

• Upvote 3

Come on, Bogus....ripping the players is half the fun....and the other half is ripping the coach......you might as well just kick TheEagleman and Old Titan off the board....wait a second....on second thought that might be a popular move amongst the rabble....never mind......GO BLUE!! 😛  :shield-logo:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1