Omaha

Keenan Henderson

This game on Thursday night feels like a must win.  ORU has a 3 game home stretch and needs to win at least 2 of them to build some momentum for the rest of the season.  Omaha is a solid team but they are 1-6 in close games (5 points or less).  Coach Crutchfield and other former ORU staff/players have this one scheduled on their calendar.  

Sorry, Keenan but the Good Guys need to win ALL 3.....This is Oral Roberts University and we make no small plans here.....but one at a time....gotta take the Mavs on Thursday Night and stop this losing streak!!! :shield-logo:

• Upvote 1

1.  They're ALL "must wins".
  2.  They ALL circle ORU on their calendars.
  • Upvote 3

It is revival/awakening week on campus.  Let it start with the basketball team vs Omaha!

• Like 1

If you’re feeling despondent (like me) about ORU sitting in last place in the Summit standings at 2-4, it should be noted that ORU has played two home games and four road games in conference play. If you rank each team based on earning a point for a road win, and losing a point for a home loss, ORU sits in a tie (with UND) for fourth place at EVEN, behind SDSU (+2), and UST and Denver (+1).  The other four teams are tied at -1.  ORU needs to sweep at home this weekend to stay at EVEN, and to prevent SDSU from earning another road win and running away from the field.  I know that a sweep seems highly unlikely given recent performances, but I also didn’t expect a win in Denver on New Year’s Eve.  Hoping to see some significant improvement in effort from the Golden Eagles, or more playing time from the bench, this weekend.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

It all comes down to the bigs: ORU has to get some production out of them.  In the two conference wins the centers (Herron, Jones, and Smith) averaged 16 points and 9 rebounds combined and in the losses they struggled.  If the frontcourt shows up then the Eagles can win but otherwise it will be another long night.

• Like 2

Omaha is an average team at best....they have lost 2 in a row and ORU has lost 3 in a row.....we are a -4.5 and TheEagleman is thinking that a couple weeks ago the Good Guys would be 8 or 9 point favorites in a game like this.....it's time to wake up and play some ball.....do the basics correctly.....we will see tonight and Saturday if Coach Springmann's words are getting thru to these guys.....or maybe we just stink.....honestly, I don't think we stink....not ready to admit that just yet....TheEagleman expects ORU to come into Mabee Center tonight ready to play and get a win....it's time to end the streak and beat a team whom ORU should beat all day everyday.....so let's do it....expecting McBride and Thompson and maybe Bedford to lead the way......also expecting the home crowd to be loud and supportive....Grip needs to rock the house!!....ORU 79  Omaha 71.....GO BLUE!!! :tb-blue:

• Like 4

Random side note - I know Omaha F Marquel Sutton, their second leading scorer and leading rebounder who is from Tulsa (Will Rogers). Coming out of highschool he had no D1 offers(partly due to growing from 6'3 to 6'8 between start of junior and end of senior year) and ended up at Connors State for a year then Omaha. He actually grew up a decent ORU fan and when they made the tournament run in 2021 (his senior year) he mentioned how he'd love to play for ORU and it was cool they were "putting Tulsa on the map". Ironically, he now gets the opportunity to play us twice a year (and once in his hometown).

Edited by 2014Grad
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 2014Grad said:

Random side note - I know Omaha F Marquel Sutton, their second leading scorer and leading rebounder who is from Tulsa (Will Rogers). Coming out of highschool he had no D1 offers(partly due to growing from 6'3 to 6'8 between start of junior and end of senior year) and ended up at Connors State for a year then Omaha. He actually grew up a decent ORU fan and when they made the tournament run in 2021 (his senior year) he mentioned how he'd love to play for ORU and it was cool they were "putting Tulsa on the map". Ironically, he now gets the opportunity to play us twice a year (and once in his hometown).

He played really well against us last year. I’m sure he has a chip on his shoulder that we didn’t offer him. I’m guessing signing Patrick and Connor last year took him off our radar. ORU has missed on some good OK prospects that we could have signed. I can’t remember his name but about 10 years ago when we were in the Southland conference Steven F Austin had an undersized forward from OK that absolutely torched us every time we played them. Sutton said more than once that we missed an opportunity to sign him. I believe his last name may have been Parker? @Old Titan will probably remember.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

He played really well against us last year. I’m sure he has a chip on his shoulder that we didn’t offer him. I’m guessing signing Patrick and Connor last year took him off our radar. ORU has missed on some good OK prospects that we could have signed. I can’t remember his name but about 10 years ago when we were in the Southland conference Steven F Austin had an undersized forward from OK that absolutely torched us every time we played them. Sutton said more than once that we missed an opportunity to sign him. I believe his last name may have been Parker? @Old Titan will probably remember.

Jacob Parker from Bixby! I believe he was Southland player of the year once and maybe made an all-American list. I was a student when we played him and he absolutely did torch us many times🤣

And Rogers was set to play the #1 5A school in the state during playoffs, I'm sure that would have put Sutton on the map a bit, however, the game was cancelled due to a player getting Covid I believe. 😔

Edited by 2014Grad

13 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

I believe his last name may have been Parker? @Old Titan will probably remember.

You give me too much credit; I had no clue until @2014Grad saved the day.

You should have asked @tmh8286, I know he's a big Stephen F. Austin fan... 😉

Wow, OT! A memory like a steel trap!! My "fondness" for Stephen Freaking Austin goes back to the 2002-03 season, when SFA handed the 6-0 Golden Eagles their first loss of the season. It's amazing you remember that!! It appears that we've played them four times since, and lost every time!! Those four game were no doubt during ORU's disastrous venture into the Southland Conference.

• Like 1

Maybe ORU needs to line up a home/home series with SFA.....any reason why they wouldn't want to other than we bolted from the Southland a decade ago???....🙄

1 hour ago, 2014Grad said:

With the current transfer portal I'm sure ORU could make right any wrongs done in their recruiting efforts regarding Mr. Sutton.😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2014Grad said:

Jacob Parker from Bixby! I believe he was Southland player of the year once and maybe made an all-American list. I was a student when we played him and he absolutely did torch us many times🤣

And Rogers was set to play the #1 5A school in the state during playoffs, I'm sure that would have put Sutton on the map a bit, however, the game was cancelled due to a player getting Covid I believe. 😔

Jacob Parker! That was it. Great player! Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:

Wow, OT! A memory like a steel trap!! My "fondness" for Stephen Freaking Austin goes back to the 2002-03 season, when SFA handed the 7-0 Golden Eagles their first loss of the season. It's amazing you remember that!! It appears that we've played them four times since, and lost every time!! Those four game were no doubt during ORU's disastrous venture into the Southland Conference.

We were even on a different board back then!! The current message board iteration was introduced by Dr. Cornelius and ORUTerry in 2005, I believe.

• Like 1

Things looking up with Good Guys ahead 34-22 at half...but still 20 min to play. ORU has to play a 40 min game to win....can we hold the Mavs under 60?? 🤩

I just looked at the Live Stats (post game). It says ORU had more rebounds than Omaha tonight. Must be a typo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1