Lionel Worrell

titansforever

Some of you from the 70s will remember Lionel. He is having surgery to remove blood clots from his lungs. It's an hours-long surgery--very involved, and sounds very scary. They have to stop his heart and freeze his brain. So he needs our prayers! 

TheEagleman saw Worrell play in the 75-76 season under Jerry Hale...a Juco transfer I believe....I think he played another year after I graduated and he was a decent player.....but didn't he turn ORU in for some minor violations after leaving and we got put on probation?? Surely Old Titan would know the back story....😐

23 hours ago, Cletus said:

Update on Lionel? @titansforever Praying,,,

He came through the surgery well and thanked those who prayed. He said, “Glory to God!”

• Upvote 1

I was under the impression that he became a Muslim after leaving ORU, but I may be mistaken.  I had some business classes with him.

18 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman saw Worrell play in the 75-76 season under Jerry Hale...a Juco transfer I believe....I think he played another year after I graduated and he was a decent player.....but didn't he turn ORU in for some minor violations after leaving and we got put on probation?? Surely Old Titan would know the back story....😐

Yes, he did.  The guy(s) responsible for his conversion to Islam had (made?) him write a letter to the NCAA listing chapter and verse any violations he witnessed.

And while the violations were minor, the 2-year probation was not:  it cost head coach Lake Kelly his job, and prevented a really good Midwestern City Conference championship team from playing in the NCAA tournament in Ken Hayes' first season (1978-79).

I understand Lionel is recovering nicely from his surgery; wishing him a speedy return to good health.

But I doubt he's going into the ORU Athletics Hall of Fame anytime soon...

• Haha 2

True or false???...I had once heard that one of the violations was the ORU Athletic Dept. was purchasing ties for athletes who didn't have any or couldn't afford them....😛

46 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

True or false???...I had once heard that one of the violations was the ORU Athletic Dept. was purchasing ties for athletes who didn't have any or couldn't afford them....😛

Oh, the violations were ridiculous.  One of them was providing athletes an inordinate number of meal tickets for the cafeteria.  Another one was the Converse rep giving players too many pairs of shoes.  A third was allowing athletes to use the WATS line (remember those?) in the athletic department to call their families back home at night.  The most serious charge was paying for a couple of plane tickets so players without cars could go home for Christmas and make it back in time for practice starting back up.  Not a single one of them had anything to do with recruiting enticements, or academic fraud, or players' gambling involvement, or paying for girlfriends' medical procedures, or any other of the variety of serious stuff that major programs like North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, etc. got/get away with on an annual basis.

This was back when the NCAA wielded a BIG stick; just a couple of years before they gave SMU the death penalty for football violations.  The NCAA policy when it came to investigations:  if they showed up on your campus, you're toast.  They weren't leaving town till they dug up enough dirt to justify their visit (and the expenses that went along with it).

Funny how times have changed...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Yes, he did.  The guy(s) responsible for his conversion to Islam had (made?) him write a letter to the NCAA listing chapter and verse any violations he witnessed.

And while the violations were minor, the 2-year probation was not:  it cost head coach Lake Kelly his job, and prevented a really good Midwestern City Conference championship team from playing in the NCAA tournament in Ken Hayes' first season (1978-79).

I understand Lionel is recovering nicely from his surgery; wishing him a speedy return to good health.

But I doubt he's going into the ORU Athletics Hall of Fame anytime soon...

You oughta write a book . . .   😉

34 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

You oughta write a book . . .   😉

I already have...on here. 🤔

• Haha 4