ORU at NDSU

theeagleman5

Morgan got three offensive rebounds under the basket on one possession - while Herron was behind the backboard watching. He never jumped or got involved…just watched. Play Moore or Navarro or other players. They couldn’t do worse. 

They outrebounded us by 13 and grabbed 13 offensive boards to our 3. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

26 fouls to 9?? That's malpractice. 🤢

Game was called well by refs. We just suck. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Losing my mind listening to Adam call this one. ORU loses the rebounding battle again, but wins the TO battle, shoots better FG and 3pt.

The real difference? NDSU shoots 32 FT to ORU's 9.  Absolutely pathetic homecooking...

I think Springmann was losing his mind on the bench too. NDSU got a call almost ever time they caught they ball near the rim. It's like this every time we play in Fargo. Regardless, we still had a chance to win that game. The rebounding problem is insane, Its unbelievable how our guys get pushed around.

28 minutes ago, Orugrad00 said:

Let’s put in some of the bench players to create a spark and hold the regular rotation accountable to rebounding.

I agree.

• Upvote 1

At this point what does it hurt to play Moore, Navarro, etc? My gut tells me the problems we have like lack of rebounding and hustle may not be fixable.  Effort is an ATTITUDE!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rinse and repeat: outrebounded, outplayed, and outscored in the paint.  Just the same old song.

• Upvote 1

Well we can now say we own the basement of the Summit.  We are dead last in MBB Summit League standings, so why not play everyone else and experiment to see who really wants to play what amounts to nothing more than fundamental basketball in all aspects of the game.  At this point what do we have to lose?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I couldn't watch today but it sounds like I didn't have to. Seems like I have seen that game a few times already this season. I do agree with many of you, however. Play any guys who are willing to play tough D. 

TheEagleman believes wholeheartedly that the problem with this team is the PLAYERS not Coach Springmann.....they are just not hustling and doing what they are being coached to do....i would agree that some changes in the line up should be made to make that point....can't keep putting the same guys out there so they can underperform and expect a different result.....this has to be very frustrating for the coach...yeah he is learning also in his first year of being the head guy....TheEagleman expected growing pains with losing guys like Max, Connor and Mwamba....this is a totally new team....plus we just need better talent....ORU just doesn't have much this season.....what we see is probably what we are gonna get....tough times after 30-6.....we were spoiled....😬:circle-logoi:😥

• Upvote 3

Fortunately our season tickets came with ladies tickets also. Coach Musick getting a lot out of that group of ladies. They need more talent, but they are playing as a team. Coach Musick basically starting 5 guards(4 guards and a true wing), and the next 2 off the bench are guards also(5’5” and 5’7”). In those top 7, only 1 player is 6’ tall. Yet watched them dominate the boards in the first quarter of play. I think last home game they had 16 rebounds in that first quarter. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman believes wholeheartedly that the problem with this team is the PLAYERS not Coach Springmann.....they are just not hustling and doing what they are being coached to do....i would agree that some changes in the line up should be made to make that point....can't keep putting the same guys out there so they can underperform and expect a different result.....this has to be very frustrating for the coach...yeah:circle-logoi:😥

A big part of player motivation is accountability. I’ve played for strict coaches with systems, and chill coaches with none, and I definitely had more effort when I know what my coach wanted of me, how to do it, and the consequences if I didn’t(playing time, benched, suicides etc). If ORU was losing to Power 5 schools everyday, then yes there is a talent gap, but we are losing to teams in the WEAKEST summit league in YEARS and not making any adjustments. That, at least 51% of it, must fall in the coache(s) not just Springmann, but the whole staff also. I don’t know what’s going on in that practice gym, but coaching is about motivating, implementing systems and accountability in addition to the X’s and O’s, and right now we don’t have much of the first three.

P.S - I’ve been lurking this board for 12+ years since I was a student. I mean all that with respect Eagleman!

Edited by 2014Grad
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

A little bit about a lot, looking up from the cellar:

• Normally I would look at league standings in mid-January and say something like "Still lots of games to play!" but at this point that observation feels more like a prison sentence than an opportunity...
  • ...because the problems that reared their collective heads back in November are the same problems today:  too much dribbling "hero ball", no rebounding, no depth (at least in terms of the rotation that the staff chooses to put on the floor).
  • Couldn't disagree more with the mention in an earlier post of "no need to double-team the post at this level".  This level is EXACTLY where you need to double-team the post IF your post men can't play man-up defense in the paint (which ORU's can't).  Did we learn nothing from the Dakota post players abusing the ORU interior in the post-Obanor-pre-Vanover season of Summit play?  Remember SDSU's Luke Appel's epic "YOU CAN'T GUARD ME!" game at the Mabee Center?  THAT was from refusing to double the post.  Post players and forwards from the Great White North are taught the following from childbirth:  "Kick the ball out if you're doubled in the paint; but draw a foul getting to the basket if it's one-on-one".  THAT is how the Bi-zun got to the line so much on Saturday, not a referee conspiracy.
  • I get nauseus watching 6'10" post players stand flat-footed with their hands at their side while rebound after rebound are gathered by more motivated opponents.  Josh Jones at one point Saturday actually tried to punch out a loose rebound, rather than gather it in while standing alone.  WHY, for heaven's sake?  It's not going to bite you!
  • If I was playing a drinking game where I took a shot for every time an ORU post player stuck his leg out while setting a moving screen out top, I would have been drunk by the third media timeout and in need of a 30-day program by game's end.  Sir Issac Herron likes to add the additional shove in the back, just in case the referee needs anything else to go by.
  • When was the last time an ORU starting guard actually tried to pass the ball late in the shot clock, as opposed to firing up a three or driving wildly to the basket hoping for a bail-out call?  Maybe they would, if they had confidence in anyone down on the block?
  • I for one would rather watch reserves trying hard and failing as opposed to regulars not trying hard and also failing, both in the post and on the perimeter.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

A little bit about a lot, looking up from the cellar:

• Normally I would look at league standings in mid-January and say something like "Still lots of games to play!" but at this point that observation feels more like a prison sentence than an opportunity...
  • ...because the problems that reared their collective heads back in November are the same problems today:  too much dribbling "hero ball", no rebounding, no depth (at least in terms of the rotation that the staff chooses to put on the floor).
  • Couldn't disagree more with the mention in an earlier post of "no need to double-team the post at this level".  This level is EXACTLY where you need to double-team the post IF your post men can't play man-up defense in the paint (which ORU's can't).  Did we learn nothing from the Dakota post players abusing the ORU interior in the post-Obanor-pre-Vanover season of Summit play?  Remember SDSU's Luke Appel's epic "YOU CAN'T GUARD ME!" game at the Mabee Center?  THAT was from refusing to double the post.  Post players and forwards from the Great White North are taught the following from childbirth:  "Kick the ball out if you're doubled in the paint; but draw a foul getting to the basket if it's one-on-one".  THAT is how the Bi-zun got to the line so much on Saturday, not a referee conspiracy.
  • I get nauseus watching 6'10" post players stand flat-footed with their hands at their side while rebound after rebound are gathered by more motivated opponents.  Josh Jones at one point Saturday actually tried to punch out a loose rebound, rather than gather it in while standing alone.  WHY, for heaven's sake?  It's not going to bite you!
  • If I was playing a drinking game where I took a shot for every time an ORU post player stuck his leg out while setting a moving screen out top, I would have been drunk by the third media timeout and in need of a 30-day program by game's end.  Sir Issac Herron likes to add the additional shove in the back, just in case the referee needs anything else to go by.
  • When was the last time an ORU starting guard actually tried to pass the ball late in the shot clock, as opposed to firing up a three or driving wildly to the basket hoping for a bail-out call?
  • I for one would rather watch reserves trying hard and failing as opposed to regulars not trying hard and also failing, both in the post and on the perimeter.

Well said. My strength is seeing the big picture while guys like OT are great at analyzing and communicating the important details. If we are honest with ourselves what is said in this post that is untrue?It is accurate that Springman is a 1st year coach and still learning but I have talked with him on numerous occasions and I assure you he is extremely blunt and honest with his players and I expect the ones that don’t learn and listen may have to find a new home. I agree with Eagleman that this fiasco is on the players not the coach. The 1st year with a new coach usually has some glitches but what is happening thus far is a train wreck and I am confident it will get fixed one way or another, but not this year.