Complete History of Mabee Center

nodak651

Thanks for posting, nodak. I had not seen it, but perhaps others have. It did indeed provide great detail and depth regarding the history of ORU in general, and Mabee Center in particular. He related many stories that have been fodder for discussion on this message board over the years. I found it interesting that the total cost of Mabee Center in 1972 was less than half the renovation cost in 2021. Also, the stated capacity of Mabee Center of 10,575 for many years, as was mentioned in the video, has been reduced since the renovation to 10,154, presumably due to the replacement of the old seating and the inclusion of suites to each side of the arena (which we recently discussed on here).

I believe there are several regulars on this board (at least a couple) that were in attendance at that inaugural Mabee Center game against Wisconsin on December 4, 1972.

It was a remarkably well done video by someone who I assume has no real connection to ORU, as he has done similar videos for arenas and stadiums across the country.

There was a time a while back when we discussed the possibility of assembling a history of ORU athletics based on scrapbooks of articles collected by ORU's long-time and iconic athletic trainer, Glenn Smith. Perhaps this video could serve as impetus for us to revisit that idea.

• Upvote 2

What a great video!

Raise your hand if you were on that bus to Lawrence, KS for the upset of the Jayhawks?

(Truth be told, it really wasn't that dramatic getting to the game:  just north of Owasso on Hwy 169, we heard a banging luggage bay door that would not latch. Luckily, the bus barn just happened to be headquartered a few miles away, so the replacement bus got there within 30 minutes of the call.  We still had time for a pre-game dinner at a Lawrence restaurant.  And what a great trip back to Tulsa afterward!)

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed this video. My wife and I were on the bus to the Kansas upset game. We were not seated with the other ORU fans, but were the only ORU fans seated among hundreds of Kansas fans, who remained standing and shouting for at least 90% of the game. At the end, the Kansas fans were very gracious and congratulated us. That was a night to remember.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

What a great video!

Raise your hand if you were on that bus to Lawrence, KS for the upset of the Jayhawks?

(Truth be told, it really wasn't that dramatic getting to the game:  just north of Owasso on Hwy 169, we heard a banging luggage bay door that would not latch. Luckily, the bus barn just happened to be headquartered a few miles away, so the replacement bus got there within 30 minutes of the call.  We still had time for a pre-game dinner at a Lawrence restaurant.  And what a great trip back to Tulsa afterward!)

🖐️ 

I brought along the Sports Illustrated I had received that morning listing Kansas as their pick for #1 in the nation!! One of the most memorable aspects of that game was how Marchello Vealy went off on Kansas that night. Not only was that the only game in which he performed at such a level, he ended up not completing his four years at ORU.

(Later that season I brought that SI to a game and had the entire team sign the cover!!)

• Like 4

I committed to attending ORU the day after the upset (learned about it via the homepage of CBSsports.com) Loved seeing a small, private school get that exposure. Sports matter. 

• Like 3

I was on the bus. So was Luke Spencer-Gardner’s mother if I remember correctly. I kept taking pictures of the scoreboard to record our lead - thinking it would go away. Never did. My seat was on the top row in the corner. When I stood up, my head touched the ceiling. 

• Like 3

TheEaglemans' first experience with ORU basketball was at the old HRC in November, 1971...I was in Tulsa for the prospective students weekend and they had a Blue-White Scrimmage including then freshman 7-0 David Vaughan.....i was immediately hooked and filled out the ORU application the following week when i got home....the rest is history....:tb-white: 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dave Connor said:

At the end, the Kansas fans were very gracious and congratulated us. That was a night to remember.

You know, Dave, I remember the same thing - the Kansas fans we interacted with after the game were surprisingly gracious considering that the loss had to be a rare and traumatic event for them. 

Thanks for the video @nodak651 

Never saw that one. Appreciated it!

My first experience with ORU basketball was watching a game in high school on a little black and white television on our kitchen. It had to be one of the post season games. I think it was NBC.

I can still see the words "Expect a Miracle" on the floor and wondered why a preacher had a basketball team. I never knew about ORU until later that year when I watched one of the specials OR produced. The program was on a Sunday evening as I was sitting with my dad on the couch at home. I was in 10th grade. 

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure I’ve posted this photo before, but I thought it appropriate to post again. If you talk to me for very long you’ll find that I tell the same stories over and over again, too!

IMG_3478.thumb.jpeg.99e1831811c1544a4bba4bb28cab5d72.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Cannot speak for Notre Dame or Kentucky but TheEagleman can confirm that UCLA was approached to be the Mabee Center opening night opponent for ORU in Dec. 1972....during a conversation/interview for the Oracle with OR back in about 1974-75, I asked him the question and he answered it but made me promise that it was off the record....OR told me that he personally called John Wooden at UCLA in late 1971 or early 1972 to ask him about scheduling ORU in the Mabee Center opener....Oral said that Wooden chuckled and said there was no way that the Bruins would come to Tulsa and this was during their great run of national championships with Abdul-Jabbar(then Lew Alcindor) and Bill Walton....OR even offered a 2 or 1 scheduling bonus meaning the Titans would return the UCLA appearance in 1972 with a pair of trips to Los Angeles in 1973 and 1974....but alas Coach Wooden would not relent.....would have been fun to watch.....of course, ORU ended up beating Top  20 Wisconsin in first game at Mabee on 12/4/72..... :circle-logoi:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

I was on the bus. So was Luke Spencer-Gardner’s mother if I remember correctly. I kept taking pictures of the scoreboard to record our lead - thinking it would go away. Never did. My seat was on the top row in the corner. When I stood up, my head touched the ceiling. 

Everyone on the bus had seats for the game in the farthest back rows in the corner of "The Phogg", and ORUTerry is not exaggerating:  when you stood up, you had to be careful not to bang your head on the iron beams supporting the roof.  Great perspective, though, of the Allen Fieldhouse faithful from that height; the place was electric!

I recall ORUTerry and I pacing behind the back row down the stretch, ducking that beam and waiting for the inevitable KU run (or Big 12 ref whistles) that never materialized.  Greatest sporting event I've ever attended, easily...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I recall ORUTerry and I pacing behind the back row down the stretch, ducking that beam and waiting for the inevitable KU run (or Big 12 ref whistles) that never materialized.  Greatest sporting event I've ever attended, easily...

There was NO DOUBT that the run was coming. It was inevitable!! Every KU possession down the stretch felt like it was the beginning of the end. Except the end never came. Every time Kansas scored, ORU answered. At about the 4 second mark in the second half I finally felt like I could finally breathe again!! The Eagles hung on for the win!!

• Upvote 1

I remember that Caleb Green was used to being double teamed in the post be everyone. KU thought they could play him straight up. His face lit up and he was beaming… and promptly scored two straight baskets if I remember correctly. Bill Self called a quick timeout and when we came down on offense the next time, two KU defenders were on Caleb… for the rest of the game. That’s why Marchello Vealy was open all night. 

• Like 1

I was not on the bus, as we live relatively close to Lawrence.  I was graciously given tickets, for a price, that were in the middle of the KU faithful.  I will never forget the game or the individual, who provided the tickets.  The game was one of the great moments in ORU basketball history.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1