ORU at Montana St.

theeagleman5

Trey's shot truly was the dagger that setup the victory.  It appeared that Kareem purposely passed to 
Trey so he could take the shot.  Either way it was a thing of beauty.  On another note, I am beginning to really like the Jones, Herron and Smith triad.  All are progressing in improving their level of play and with Smith, he is like a man amongst boys.  Even the ESPN broadcast crew kept on referring to him regarding his size and presence.  We still have a long way to go but the team that showed up in the last two games in Denver and Bozeman was definitely better than the team that showed up in Stillwater, Tulsa and Kansas City.  Go Golden Eagles!

• Upvote 2

Talked with ORUTerry today re: how the low rebound numbers among the big men (only three total last night; zero by Herron) must hopefully be by design.

The OKC Thunder used to do something along these lines between Steven Adams and Russell Westbrook.  Since Westbrook was so quick and a good leaper, Adams' job in the post was to simply block his man off the boards and let Westbrook come swooping in for a lot of rebounds, particularly on long caroms off threes.  This had the added advantage of getting the ball up the floor faster in Westbrook's speedy hands as opposed to relying on outlet passes from underneath the basket.

Max Abmas got better and better at this approach of self-starting the offense as his vertical leap and strength grew year after year, and now we see Thompson, McBride and Bedford averaging a respectable 16 boards per game between them from the guard spot, while always looking to flip & fly when they grab a long rebound.

In short, perhaps the low number of rebounds by the big men underneath is not all their "fault" per se, particularly in today's world with so many long rebounds from missed threes by all of college basketball in general, and in the Summit League in particular.

If not, then they're simply woefully bad at rebounding... 😉

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Talked with ORUTerry today re: how the low rebound numbers among the big men (only three total last night; zero by Herron) must hopefully be by design.

The OKC Thunder used to do something along these lines between Steven Adams and Russell Westbrook.  Since Westbrook was so quick and a good leaper, Adams' job in the post was to simply block his man off the boards and let Westbrook come swooping in for a lot of rebounds, particularly on long caroms off threes.  This had the added advantage of getting the ball up the floor faster in Westbrook's speedy hands as opposed to relying on outlet passes from underneath the basket.

Max Abmas got better and better at this approach of self-starting the offense as his vertical leap and strength grew year after year, and now we see Thompson, McBride and Bedford averaging a respectable 16 boards per game between them from the guard spot, while always looking to flip & fly when they grab a long rebound.

In short, perhaps the low number of rebounds by the big men underneath is not all their "fault" per se, particularly in today's world with so many long rebounds from missed threes by all of college basketball in general, and in the Summit League in particular.

If not, then they're simply woefully bad at rebounding... 😉

I'm afraid the last line says it all . . .

(But that definitely can be improved!)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

I'm afraid the last line says it all . . .

LOL - that sounds like something coming from ME!! 🤣

Seriously, ORUTerry and I agreed that as long as ORU is breaking even in the rebounding battle (39 for each team last night), then I like ORU's chances to win, and don't care all that much how it happens.

But, yeah - it WOULD be nice to see an ORU big man come at least close to a double-double this year!

• Like 3

So much for the Wednesday Night road losing streak....🤑

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - that sounds like something coming from ME!! 🤣

Seriously, ORUTerry and I agreed that as long as ORU is breaking even in the rebounding battle (39 for each team last night), then I like ORU's chances to win, and don't care all that much how it happens.

But, yeah - it WOULD be nice to see an ORU big man come at least close to a double-double this year!

I REALLY hate to say it, but I think our rebounding guards are born of necessity, rather than design. It's a good thing that Isaac and Kareem can get up like they do - they were able to get some rebounds last night over significantly taller players. 

But, as I said before, that situation with our bigs can be remedied, and hopefully it will be. And I couldn't agree more about not caring how they get the win - or how bad the officiating is - as long as that poor officiating doesn't cost us the game!!