ORU at Montana St.

theeagleman5

Bobcats got smoked by Weber St. the other night by 22....ouch. 😬

First time ORU has ever played Montana State: maybe they should make it an annual trip up to Bozeman🙂!  That is a pretty long drive!

Both teams have a lot of similarites: same record, struggle with rebounding, solid guard play and good assist to turnover ratio.  The Bobcats are 354th in the nation in rebounding, so ORU should be able to keep them off the offensive boards.  It will most likely be another close photo finish.

Weber State should be a much tougher match up but no picnic for ORU vs. the Bobcats.....Bozeman is supposedly a nice town....home of Nick Faldo???  LOL 😛

In a way these Big Sky games this week are filling in for Western Illinois leaving the conference at the last minute.  Hopefully, DJ is back from this injury and ORU is healthy for the new year.  A lot of injuries/transfer issues in 2023 kept many guys out of the lineup at one time or another: Josh Jones, Miller, DJ, Williams, Navarro and Smith all missed time.  We need all these guys for the new year and especially during conference play.

It is hard to know which MSU team will show up: they beat Cal on the road and then lost to a non D1 school at home.  They were an NCAA tournament team last year and lost to KState in the first round.  So a battle of former tournament teams on Wednesday night.

• Upvote 1

Anybody know if the ORU squad went straight to Bozeman from Denver or did they come back to Tulsa for 36 hours which would seem like a waste.....:tb-white:

They came back.  We saw Isaac at Texas Roadhouse last night.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

That's a pretty sweet ride!! The Golden Eagles seem to be coming up in the world!!

Texas Roadhouse???...here's hoping Isaac had a nice Ribeye and not the Roadkill....ORU opens as a -1.5 point road favorite....😬

• Upvote 1

Here's another question that matters...

Will Josh Jones, Ashton Smith and Sir Issac Herron always replace one another in the lineup, or (same question, described another way) will two of the three ever be on the court at the same time? 

With all of the different lineups ORU has used on the court over the course of this season (especially on Sunday in Denver), I am a bit surprised that ORU hasn't at least tried a rotation with two of the "bigs" on the court together. I know that Ashton has been a late addition to the active roster, but he has only been used (to date) as a replacement for Herron or Jones.  I would think that a "big" lineup could create some matchup challenges for opponents, if only for a short section of a game, but perhaps the inexperience of the trio (or their propensity for foul trouble) eliminates this option.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU opens as a -1.5 point road favorite....😬

Line has shifted to Montana State -1.5.  It's really a question of which ORU team shows up - the one from Friday in Kansas City or Sunday in Denver.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Here's another question that matters...

Will Josh Jones, Ashton Smith and Sir Issac Herron always replace one another in the lineup, or (same question, described another way) will two of the three ever be on the court at the same time? 

With all of the different lineups ORU has used on the court over the course of this season (especially on Sunday in Denver), I am a bit surprised that ORU hasn't at least tried a rotation with two of the "bigs" on the court together. I know that Ashton has been a late addition to the active roster, but he has only been used (to date) as a replacement for Herron or Jones.  I would think that a "big" lineup could create some matchup challenges for opponents, if only for a short section of a game, but perhaps the inexperience of the trio (or their propensity for foul trouble) eliminates this option.

I think that until the coaching staff feels comfortable that 15 fouls is enough to keep the three of them on the floor, they will not chance not having at least one of the three available for "floor action".  Just my opinion, but I think it is a maturity thing that, once they are comfortable playing at game speed, they will be hesitant to go with a two-big lineup except in certain, unique circumstances.

TheEagleman hasn't been right very often this season when predicting ORU basketball results....I honestly have no clue how the Good Guys will perform tonight after playing in KC, Denver and Bozeman over the past 6 days...those are not easy trips and lots of travelling over the holidays.....not much home cooking....I feel as if Montana State is a team that we should beat but just have little confidence that these Golden Eagles can put back to back solid efforts up on the road....so i will go the Old Titan/George Costanza route and predict the opposite of my initial thoughts......Montana State 71 ORU 68......image.png.67539659e1fbe5599009b70e8a0e26da.png

• Upvote 2

TheEagleman was an 18 yr old freshman the last time Montana State and ORU hooked up in basketball in Dec. 1972....I was home on Christmas break and did not see that game which i guess was part of the old ORU Classic back then....now here we are 51 years later for the rematch....who would have thought it would take that long?? Now I am old and gray/bald.....Nixon was President then....Joe Biden was a young congressman and now the dude is President of the USA??....hopefully not for long and also not thinking this game will be a near 50 point blowout like the 1972 game....GO BLUE!!!  image.png.2e083be39b8f9fc0bd3106275b78f353.png