ORU at Kansas City

theeagleman5

Eagles look like a group that threw in the towel and let go of the rope.  It reminds me of Paul Mills first team but then again this is Coach Springmann's first group.  It is still December and not March, so I do not want to be too negative but that was painful to watch.

On a side note: the KC announcers had a lot of good things to say about ORU in the past including all the guys from the Kansas City area that use to play for Scott Sutton.

Simple:  if you get outrebounded by 20 or whatever it was, you're gonna lose.  I think the offensive rebounding alone was 16-4 in favor of the Roos.

And PLEASE don't tell me it's because DJ was out; rebounding has been an Achilles heel for this team all season, and DJ doesn't rebound either.  #ItIsWhatItIs

Rebounding is a major problem but everything was a major problem tonight.  Eagles turned the ball over a lot in the beginning, gave up multiple layups/dunks and wide open 3s.  If KC hit their wide open 3s it would be a 30 point loss easily.  McBride played well on offense but basically no one else showed up.  ORU for the most part was pretty good the first 9 games of the season but they now look unrecognizable.  Maybe they peaked too early.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Simple:  if you get outrebounded by 20 or whatever it was, you're gonna lose.  I think the offensive rebounding alone was 16-4 in favor of the Roos.

And PLEASE don't tell me it's because DJ was out; rebounding has been an Achilles heel for this team all season, and DJ doesn't rebound either.  #ItIsWhatItIs

It's mystifying - ORU will have 3 or 4 guys under the basket and NOT ONE appears to make an effort to box out or make an attempt to get to the ball. EVEN if they aren't working on that in practice - and I can't believe they're not - I'm sure most have been playing for AT LEAST 12-15 years, and EVERY coach along the way has been teaching them to get a body on somebody when the ball goes up! Hard to understand why we are so weak in this area.

5 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Maybe they peaked too early.

I was saying the same thing tonight. That is certainly what it feels like. But we're too early in the season to have peaked! Lots of reasons to still expect growth from this team.

59 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU for the most part was pretty good the first 9 games of the season but they now look unrecognizable.  Maybe they peaked too early.

Peaked too early??

LOL - when the heck was that??

This team has struggled with the same issues since Missouri State and Mid-America Christian; they've just gotten away with it a few times against weaker opponents.

And until a more effective offense is installed and the rebounding disparity is addressed, I'm afraid you can expect more of the same results as tonight.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This team STINKS....and we just got rolled by another Summit team that STINKS....this is the Titanic and we may not have yet hit the iceberg....where is Leonardo DiCaprio when we need him? Maybe he knows how to box out....😛

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Peaked too early??

LOL - when the heck was that??

This team has struggled with the same issues since Missouri State and Mid-America Christian; they've just gotten away with it a few times against weaker opponents.

And until a more effective offense is installed and the rebounding disparity is addressed, I'm afraid you can expect more of the same results as tonight.

ORU took K-State to overtime, beat Tulsa, and played Texas Tech and Texas AM close.   They looked pretty good in those matchups but since the OK State game the bottom has fallen out.  Yes, the rebounding has always been a problem but the Eagles went toe to toe with Power 5 teams on the road in tough environments.  That was peaking compared to tonight's KC game.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Anyone happen to hear Coach Springmann's postgame comments?  I somehow missed it on Adam's broadcast...

It never happened.  The team stayed in the locker room after the game and had not left as of the end of the broadcast.  Springmann (and his coaches) were a no-show.  Will be interesting to hear more later.

Effort has been an issue since day one with this roster. 

Rebounding is effort and nobody wants to do it.

The team is what it is at this point. 

• Upvote 3

Got to give OT his props…. He saw clearly where this team is at right now. I, on the other hand, was wearing rose-colored glasses. The glasses are now off, and I am seriously concerned about whether this team has the ability to right the ship against the upcoming schedule.  
The Big Sky Challenge gives us a tough roadie at Montana State and the best team (Weber State) to visit Mabee Center this season.  And our next three Summit League games are against teams that all had big wins on the road tonight (at Denver, South Dakota, and St Thomas). Without significant improvement from tonight’s effort, the season could get really ugly really soon.  

Rebounding and paint defense has been a problem almost every year except when Mills found a 7'5 center.  Springmann may have to go out and find another one of those.  Even the Sweet 16 team got destroyed on the glass most nights.   Bedford is a better rebounder than all the big guys put together.

34 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU took K-State to overtime, beat Tulsa, and played Texas Tech and Texas AM close.   

It could be argued that none of those teams were/are as good as advertised in preseason.

But I will concede this:  ORU played better in those games than against OSU, John Brown and UMKC. 

They are simply regressing; the workload on the returning starters is presumably taking its toll.

• Upvote 2

It comes down to being able to develop those that can be developed on the current roster and find better players that our Collective can help attract to play for ORU.  In order to do the latter, we have to have recurring donors (month-after-month; year-after-year) to assist in the effort (rebounding isn't the only thing that takes effort 😀).  We will be a 3rd/4th quadrant team if these things don't happen - plain and simple.

• Upvote 2

ORU was down 35-65 with 9 minutes to go and then all of a sudden Kareem came to life and hit some 3s.  What is that? That game last night was such a head scratcher and very disheartening.  Sorry sometimes a guy just needs to vent.  It is good to have the forum to do that.

9 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

It comes down to being able to develop those that can be developed on the current roster and find better players that our Collective can help attract to play for ORU.  In order to do the latter, we have to have recurring donors (month-after-month; year-after-year) to assist in the effort (rebounding isn't the only thing that takes effort 😀).  We will be a 3rd/4th quadrant team if these things don't happen - plain and simple.

I think this is spot on. The past 3 years we had a highly experienced team along with a guy named Max Abmas and during the sweet 16 run Kevin Obanor. This year we have several guys with experience but many who are not which leaves gapping holes. Now with the NIL in full effect if/when we get a Max Abmas the likelihood of keeping him for 3-4 years is slim to none. College sports has become pay to play and I don’t know how ORU will find the funds to buy players who will help us consistently win our conference and go to the big dance.  Bogus is 100% correct that donors will have to step up if we want a great product moving forward. There is increasingly little difference between professional and college sports. A good example is the OKC Thunder. Look at their pay scale vs other NBA teams. Theirs is much lower because they have a bunch of guys on their rookie contracts but they are a very talented team. Wait a couple of years and many players will leave to chase more $ . This is similar to what ORU is facing and it all boils down to $$$$. 

• Upvote 1