John Brown

Keenan Henderson

9-26 shooting and outrebounded 19-14 by Freaking John Brown....this is a disgrace....🤮

ORU going to pull this one out but lots of issues that need to be cleaned up... poor FT shooting and being outrebounded by an NAIA team just not acceptable....gotta do better next week in the Summit League opener...😬

It looked like the Eagles lost their confidence.  Getting thumped by OSU seemed to leave them shell shocked.  I always liked DJ but he is really struggling on the offensive end.  The guy is a 6th year senior and ORU needs him to figure things out over the break.  Winning ugly tonight but still 21 in a row at home.

• Upvote 1

Everyone who paid for a ticket to this game should have been given a refund.

And everyone who got in free should have been given a hot dog voucher and the thanks of a grateful program.

And if you think I'm just being my usual snarky self, go back and listen to Coach Springmann's postgame comments on the broadcast, and tell me he doesn't agree.

He all but apologized for his team's "performance".

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Old Titan said:

In related news:  Worst. Half. Ever. 🤮

You spoke too soon. The above was true only because they hadn't played the second half yet.

• Haha 1

By ORU allowing JBU to hang around in the 1st half it gave them momentum and confidence. This is a dangerous thing to do with an inferior opponent. I believe some of this stems from our young back court. Although Josh Jones is a true freshman he seems to be the most ready to play out of our bigs. Sir Isaac is getting better but is still pretty raw and Ashton is really raw and needs a lot of work. The past 3-4 seasons we have had a lot of experience and maturity on our team. Now we have a mix and that seems to be affecting our synergy. Hopefully Josh is back soon and Herron and Williams mature quickly. The old saying freshmen are freshmen and nothing replaces game time experience. Growing pains are tough and I’m afraid we are experiencing them right now. This puts a lot of pressure on the big 3 and Jaylen Bedford to perform at a high level every night. Hopefully we bounce back in 9 days.

• Like 2

A surprisingly good crowd on hand last night. As we were entering the arena and I saw how full it was I said, "I wonder if we'll be seeing mini-cheerleaders at halftime." We did. Whoever figured out that that is a great way to fill the arena when low numbers are expected is a genius. On the other hand, it might have been better if large numbers of people hadn't seen that game last night . . .

I'm a bit of a Grinch fan, and I enjoyed watching the Grinch slinking around last night, mocking people and sticking his nose in the on-court activities. I thought that was pretty fun at the last game before Christmas.

Grinch resize2.jpgGrinch resize1.jpg

• Haha 2

As bad as ORU played....maybe the Grinch should have been in our rotation last night....who knows...maybe the guy can shoot the FTs and rebound a little..... image.png.11edc9f4d1dc9700a766eeb1751f53e7.png

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

POSITIVE TAKEAWAYS FROM TUESDAY NIGHT:

• The crowd was great considering mitigating circumstances as previously noted. TU was playing across town at the same time and only drew flies
  • The band as always was fantastic; they should play Steve Miller’s “Fly Like An Eagle” more often!
  • The Cupid Shuffle remains one of the most logistically amazing timeout promotions there is.  Not many arenas where you can get so many little kids on and off the court so quickly and only lose a handful in the process. 😉
  • The Golden Eagle Club pregame meal from Waldo’s Chicken was outstanding. If you go there, get the cole slaw!
  • As for on the court:  loved the full-court pressure, and thought the half court defense was sound for the most part. Ashton Smith is light years ahead of Josh Jones in defending the post.  And despite his nervous night at the line, he’s a better free throw shooter as well. I have no problem at all with he and Sir Issac rotating at the 5.
  • Good to see Braedon Moore get some run in the first half. He’s easily the best  finisher around the basket among the four big men. 
  • Jailen Bedford is a dog.  And, as we all know, we need more dogs…

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

• The crowd was great considering mitigating circumstances as previously noted. TU was playing across town at the same time and only drew flies
  • The band as always was fantastic; they should play Steve Miller’s “Fly Like An Eagle” more often!
  • The Cupid Shuffle remains one of the most logistically amazing timeout promotions there is.  Not many arenas where you can get so many little kids on and off the court so quickly and only lose a handful in the process. 😉
  • The Golden Eagle Club pregame meal from Waldo’s Chicken was outstanding. If you go there, get the cole slaw!
  • As for on the court:  loved the full-court pressure, and thought the half court defense was sound for the most part. Ashton Smith is light years ahead of Josh Jones in defending the post.  And despite his nervous night at the line, he’s a better free throw shooter as well. I have no problem at all with he and Sir Issac rotating at the 5.
  • Good to see Braedon Moore get some run in the first half. He’s easily the best  finisher around the basket among the four big men. 

Funniest post-game presser I've ever seen!! I ALMOST get his point!!  Just have to stay focused on the last sentence . . .

Regarding the Cupid Shuffle, I've always thought that the dance thing in its various renditions over the years during a late-in-the-game time out is another stroke of brilliance!! Not only to do all of that over the course of a time out an amazing feat, imagine being the visiting team trying to huddle, while a hundred or five hundred squawking kids are running past you, then dancing right beside you to the catchy tune blaring over the PA system, then suddenly they're whooshing past you again getting off the floor!! Does any player hear a word the coach is saying? The distraction level is through the roof with all that. It really is a thing of beauty!! (And brings a smile to the faces of those that remain in the seats!!)

To a lesser degree, the same with the Spirit Sprint. Lights flashing, crowd up and clapping, cheer leaders running, Eli doing his thing - it's all got to be very distracting to the opposing team.

But there is NO distraction like the Cupid Shuffle!!

Announced attendence was 5417.....very impressive vs a non D-1 opponent on a Tuesday Night before Christmas and the students on winter break......too bad they had to witness that debacle but hopefully they won't hold us against the ORU basketball team and will return to watch a better product in the new year.....Our team does realize that they are sort of in the entertainment business, right?   :circle-logoi:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Announced attendence was 5417.....very impressive vs a non D-1 opponent on a Tuesday Night before Christmas and the students on winter break......too bad they had to witness that debacle but hopefully they won't hold us against the ORU basketball team and will return to watch a better product in the new year.....Our team does realize that they are sort of in the entertainment business, right?   :circle-logoi:

I'm guessing a quarter to a third were mini-cheerleaders and their fams. They were having a good time regardless of the performance on the floor!!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Another positive takeaway was moving Sweet Caroline to the second half of a timeout (after name that tune) thereby shortening the misery. 

It is no excuse and talent should have prevailed better, but it was very clear that John Brown was hungry and motivated and our guys were half way home for Christmas.  If John Brown had shot a little better from 3, that embarrassment could easily have become a disaster.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

At the end of the day, this was a practice game.  I do not think it will define ORU's season.  Everybody from UConn to Chicago State has off nights in college basketball.  It is a long year and the Eagles will have ups and downs.  Just need to bounce back in Kansas City next week.

• Upvote 2

Let's hope so....the past two games have been awful....need to recharge over the holidays....🙏🏀🙏

20 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

The reality is that probably at least 80% of those fans are "casual" fans - meaning, they have no clue who John Brown U. is nor do they know that we should have mopped the floor with them. They showed up A) to see ORU win ✅ and B) have an entertaining night out ✅

On this board, things are REALLY important. 😆 (Which makes it fun and is the reason we are all here.) And I know it's trite to say, but off the board, A WIN IS A WIN. And that's a win.

• Upvote 4

OT I totally agree about Braeden Moore.  If he is close to the basket then his shot is going in and he seems to be a solid rebounder as well.

I certainly like that Ashton Smith brings some size and beef to the team.  We could have used his defensive presence vs. several of our earlier opponents (Kansas State and Texas Tech both come to mind).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe Connor Vanover will transfer back to ORU over the break.....he made a mistake moving to Missou and he probably knows it by now......and we sure could use his intimidation under the basket on both ends of the floor......:oru: