***ORU vs VALPO***

ORUsportzFan

How was attendance? We've got 8 ORU kids staying at our house in DFW area so you're down 8 in attendance right there.

Attendance was actually pretty good.  Probably around 5,000.  Definitely not the same environment as when the Mabee Maniacs are in town!  8-) 

But the crowd was still into it enough to give our guys some energy...and win by 15!    :wink:

ORU wins it.  75 - 60 Final Score.

Wow! Really only 6 turnovers? That's great for this team, we'll win a lot of games if we don't turn the ball over. Looks like Caleb didn't have a great night shooting, but did everything else well (8/9 from the line, a double-double, and 5 assists vs. only 2 TO's).

I know from experience that often times it feels like there are more people in attendance than it looks like on TV, but man, it looked sparse on the TV broadcast.

TU attendance looked better than ORU but not by much. Last night we had TU, ORU and I think The Globetrotters...too much hoops for this town.

ash  =o)

Guest Blevins

What you can't tell by watching on TV, whether it be a live broadcast or highlights, is how many people are at the top of the gold seats and those who are sitting in the blue. Also, the cameras face the side of the Mabee Center where most of the corporate tickets are given away, and those are hardly ever all used at the same time.

While there may not have been almost 8,000 at the game, there were more than the Montana game at which there was easily 5,500-6,000. Not to mention that school was out for BOTH games.

I'll tell you one thing: I bought my ticket online Thursday night (section D, row 1, seat 2), and sat behind the VU bench (other side of the stadium).  Never been able to do that in previous years.  It may have been a pretty good crowd for that time of day, but it was nothing like past VU-ORU games.

No students. Families still on holiday.

Of course.

Even so, I bet the game we had 3 years ago in early January had a better crowd since it was at night.

My brief and random observations about the game:

1. Valpo's guards had trouble with ORU's speed, athleticism and height. In the past Valpo has had height on the perimeter, but not this year - except for Huff.... who seemed lost at times. Their perimeter game could never get untracked.

2. Tutt came out on fire - was three for three (all 3-pointers) and then went 1-for-11 for the rest of the game. Adam's shot looked nice; even the ones he missed looked good. Sango gives us instant energy and is getting comfortable. He needs to work on his shot; his mechanics are terrible. My son has pointed this out before; Kelvin does not keep his body/shoulders square. I assume the coaches have/are working on this with him. Might have to wait until next year. Yemi even made a 3-pointer; I get the idea that the coaches have encouraged him to shoot more - especially when the opponents leave him wide open.

3. Valpo's front line was not bad. They are young and will get better. The Australian (McCleod) was a bit slow of foot but could shoot the ball when left open and showed decent court presence. Made a couple of nice passes and seemed to have soft hands. Once he got confident, he couldn't miss. Homer should have run more of the offense through him.

4. I loved Coach Sutton's substitution pattern. He was liberally changing lineups - especially in the first half. That included Caleb Green, who sat on the bench for several minutes in the first and second halves. I think this kept us fresh and presented different lineups/challenges for Valpo to deal with. Wonder if we will see this continue?

5. Nice to see King, Liberty and Sango - as well as Ehambe - acclimating to the game. Liberty is playing more in control (0 turnovers) and played hard on defense. I would like to see Sango improve his perimeter shooting (see above) but like his energy and defensive effort. King is the most improved. We are finally seeing the player the coaches told us about when they signed him. Shawn can alter the game from a defensive perspective because of his shot blocking ability (ala Kendrick Moore) and has shown the ability to hit the short jump hook. He also runs the court well for a big man.... It appears that he just needed some time and confidence.