Golden Eagles smother Liberty - Tulsa World (12-31-2006)

ORUTerry

Golden Eagles smother Liberty

By Staff Reports

12/31/2006

PROVO, Utah -- Moses Ehambe missed the first two games of Oral Roberts University's basketball trip to Utah with a virus. But he felt fine Saturday.

The junior swingman scored 14 of his 17 points in the first half, igniting the Golden Eagles to a 90-58 win over Liberty of the Big South Conference on the final day of the Brigham Young Holiday Classic.

ORU had five players score in double figures for the first time this season, led by Caleb Green's 19.

Ehambe made his first five shots, including four from 3-point range. He finished with five 3-pointers and Tutt added four as the Eagles tied a season high with 11.

ORU forced Liberty (6-7) into a season-high 21 turnovers and never trailed, despite allowing the Flames' Larry Blair to score 26.

"I think it's the best game we've played all year, which is remarkable, seeing how it's our third game in three days," said ORU coach Scott Sutton.

ORU finished 2-1 in the festival, nipping Seton Hall 76-74 Thursday and losing to BYU 72-62 on Friday.

Sutton said ORU has played its best ball of the season recently, including a 69-58 win over Montana on Dec. 19 and a 68-56 loss at Arkansas on Dec. 22.

"I thought we played well in all three games here. I think we're starting to peak at the right time," Sutton said.

ORU (7-7) hosts Western Illinois on Thursday and Valparaiso on Saturday in Mid-Continent Conference play.