***ORU vs LU Game Thoughts***

vcboy2000

We wrapped up the tournament 2-1. What do you guys think?

Some notes from the post game show:

55% for the game.

11-17 from 3 pt land

78% from the line.

10-turnovers/19-assists.

Scott Sutton interview:

Said that he told the team that whoever came out with the most energy would win the game. He really felt that this was the best complete game we've played all year.

Was really excited that Moes shot great away from home, and really want this to continue.

Shawn King had a great game. Once his shots started falling he gained a lot of confidence, and that the way they want him to play. Coach Sutton said that he really loved the effort from Chello, Ben Haynes, Jordan and Spicer when they came in the game.

Achieved a good goal at the end of the tournament going 2-1. Joked about BYU not wanting a return game.

Coach said that he is excited about getting back to Tulsa. We'll get 1 full week of practice with no classes. The guys are excited, and we get start league play at home for the first time in a while.

I'd rather comment on the tournament overall than tonight's game.  I'd call tonight the icing on the cake.  I feel like overall we had a very good tournament.  Beating Seton Hall, a Big East team with lots of tradition, the way we did, coming from behind, challenged with A-Lib fouled out, was a great start.  Then we played BYU close, in spite of questionable officiating.  As Steve Cooper said, BYU wouldn't a return game, and play us at home, because last night was a battle.  

Then tonight we were able to hold off a very good Liberty team.  I hope that we're able to play them again in the future.  Seems like it would be great for these two teams to play each other at least once every other year or something.  It would be a natural rivalry.  

Someone else mention in the last day or so that this team is starting to gel, and I think that's a perfect description of how I feel after this weekend.  Some of the problems that we've seen in earlier games seem to be resolving; guys that we were hoping to see more out of are beginning to step up; Ken seems to be getting his stroke back; and Caleb continues to thrill.  

It may just be that we're a slow starting team.  I guess we'll find out in the next few games.

The thing that excited me the most is the timing of all of this. Scott Sutton said in the post game interview that the guys are really excited to be playing right now. This is what we needed going into conference play. With the first two games being at home and a week of practices before that, I think we'll be in really good shape.

I'm really pumped after these three games.  To contend in each game against three quality opponents (without Ehambe in the first two games, when we already have a slim bench) was an excellent performance.  Tonight's game was by far the best of the year... and the Flames (with a hot scoring guard and not much else), sound a lot like many Mid-Con teams.  I was especially pleased to see 5 players in double figures - there's the balance we've been looking for!  Shawn King finally found an opponent that he could play strong against (he's going to LOVE the Mid-Con).  This three game stretch will propel us for a great start to the conference season.

We are now 7-7 - and I would submit that at least 10 of the 14 teams we've faced are better than ANY of the teams we'll face in our remaining 16 games (except the unknown bracket buster opponent).  We're peaking at the right time (as long as we keep it going for three days in March!) 

did not hear the game, but after looking at the box score , its nice to see some balanced scoring helping out tutt and green who are dominating like two good Sr players should. happy new year everyone

My thoughts are that I'm glad family obligations kept me from hearing this one.  :-(

Congrats on pounding us mightily.  Next up for us, a trip to Gainesville Tuesday to face the Gators.  It just keeps getting better.

Why did Yemi only play 9 minutes? Is he okay?

Nice stats across the board for most everyone..... Liberty 5 assists and only one turnover.

Terry - LU's stud guard (Blair) was a speedy 6'0 shooter, and Yemi couldn't cover him, and his height advantage actually became a detriment.  Of course, no one else could guard him (Sutton and the radio crew agreed he was the best shooter we've faced this season) - but the coaches chose to use Liberty, Sango and Ehambe on defense of Blair, and keep an offensive player on the court.  Obviously, the strategy worked.  Neely also made a comment that when Yemi was off the court, LU couldn't double-team Caleb as effectively, as they had to be honest in guarding all the other Eagles.

So, I think it was just a bad "match-up" night for Yemi.

I was unable to listen to the game.  How was the officiating?  I noticed that Caleb had more free throw attempts than the entire Liberty team.  How did Blair shoot 17 times and only have 2 free throws?  Was he just bombing from the outside?

Liberty as a hold was not as aggressive as ORU. They really only had 1 guard that seemed to consistently drive to the basket. Blair was scoring at will from the perimeter, while Ken Tutt and Adam Liberty drove a lot.

Caleb Green:

Lots of touches = Lots of foul shots. That's just the type of player he is.

The officiating was a non-factor (like it's SUPPOSED to be).  Blair was a gunner - including several NBA 3's.  Caleb's FT attempts were simply caused by LU's inability to stop him inside.  I don't believe LU fans would say the officiating impacted the outcome of the game.

I like the big win against liberty. It could give our guys alot of confidence, which is what we need.  We need Moses to shoot with confidence, and King to play with confidence if we want to end thisyear with something special.  Adam Liberty played the point the way he should.  I LOVE that we got alot of players playing time.

This tournament has shown me that Ken Tutt is back. He is reliable and playing as good as he has ever played.  Neely and Coop made it sound like Tutt played really strong going to the basket.

I am curious about Haynes.  Did you notice he comes in early in the substitution rotation, plays one minute, then doesn't play till we clear the bench.  I am glad he gets a shot, but that seems strange. Coach must really like him.

I know blair is good, but we have to be able to shut down a Blair to win a game in March.  Memphis had 2 or 3 blairs, we need a Larry owens who can shut a guy like that down.