PA Announcer

Old Titan

It is easy to forget that Texas Southern has been to 3 straight NCAA tournaments and has a head coach, who used to lead LSU.  So they are a solid mid major team and I think we will look back at this victory as a good win for the Eagles.  ORU has not lost a home game in 633 days!  As long as they win the crowds will still come.

Bedford was on a top 30 Juco team and put up numbers similar to Thompson's at that level.  He reminds me of Kareem because they both have good size, can rebound, play defense and hit a shot when needed.  Both Bedford and Thompson are just guys that do whatever it takes to win.  Good role and glue type players.  Bedford so far has been the breakout player we said ORU would need this season.

Sorry I put this on the wrong topic.  Could this be moved to Texas Southern topic.   Thanks

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

Favorite PA moment of the night: "LET'S MAKE SOME NOISE!!! (1 sec pause)...time out on the floor."

I was there for that moment. The PA was probably told to “pump up the crowd” and then the time out was taken. For sure bad timing :):)

On 11/10/2023 at 10:49 PM, Old Titan said:

A guest of mine, an alumnus attending his first game in years, at one point in the game asked me if a carried a gun. 

When I asked him why, he said “Because if that guy screams ‘LEMME HEAR YA!!’ or ‘LETS GET LOUD!!’ one more time, I’m gonna blow my brains out.”

Actually, I made that up.

Truth be told, he DID politely express his displeasure about the incessant haranguing, albeit in a more civil manner.

It was in fact ME that in response inquired about the gun… 😉

Not Listening Friends Tv GIF

Curious as to what you friend would prefer the announcements to be like with a minute left in a game. Ahem…“Alright. Now everyone please cheer on your fellow alumni if you would, albeit not too loudly. Perhaps should we all get behind the blue and gold and show them our mediocrity in volume it could propel them to victory tonight…” It’s a basketball game. Perhaps watching golf is more suited to your friend. I don’t think talking in this manner about guns is appropriate.

On 11/11/2023 at 2:41 PM, Old Titan said:

It’s like a bad lounge act.

I get that the “hype PA” approach so prevalent these days in college and professional basketball is not aimed at my demographic, but his act is just so bad that it transcends age, gender, race, etc.

Perhaps he has been encouraged to voice the game in this manner? How would you voice the game? I would enjoy hearing your version. 

On 11/11/2023 at 2:31 PM, ORUTerry said:

Not a fan. Announce the game… quit inserting yourself into the contest. He makes me cringe. 

Perhaps you should make that known to the game entertainment staff. 

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Who opens a new account for the sole purpose of trolling one topic on Thanksgiving Day?

For that matter, who brings a knife to a gunfight?

Anyway, hope everyone enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving - heaven knows I sure have a LOT to be thankful for this year.   

Peace out...  😘

OT, I take it that you're not on the welcoming committee at work. 🤣

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Who opens a new account for the sole purpose of trolling one topic on Thanksgiving Day?

For that matter, who brings a knife to a gunfight?

Anyway, hope everyone enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving - heaven knows I sure have a LOT to be thankful for this year.   

Peace out...  😘

My thanks this year includes attending the Homecoming event on campus a few weeks ago and meeting several of you on this sports board. 

This board kept me updated on items and history I had not heard or known for 40 or more years!

Thank you!

ORU-Homecoming, Basketball Game, vs MACU OKC, Foul Line, Nov. 2023.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

There is one simple, fixable problem with the PA announcer. Don’t tell the fans to get loud when we are inbounding the ball; do tell the fans to get loud when the other team is inbounding the ball. It’s an offense-defense awareness thing. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 11/10/2023 at 10:49 PM, Old Titan said:

A guest of mine, an alumnus attending his first game in years, at one point in the game asked me if a carried a gun. 

When I asked him why, he said “Because if that guy screams ‘LEMME HEAR YA!!’ or ‘LETS GET LOUD!!’ one more time, I’m gonna blow my brains out.”

Actually, I made that up.

Truth be told, he DID politely express his displeasure about the incessant haranguing, albeit in a more civil manner.

It was in fact ME that in response inquired about the gun… 😉

Not Listening Friends Tv GIF

Oh Old TItan... sadly you complain way too much. Our guy is pretty good. He's got a job to do and he does it pretty well! My wife and I really enjoy his engagement throughout the game and think he really takes the experience up a notch. He's a lot better than what a lot of schools have. I actually really enjoy when he says, LEMME HEAR YA!" because it really helps cover up your depressing complaints about whatever you've chosen on any specific night. Just sit back and enjoy it! 🙂

Wow you guys are tough on this guy! If you think our PA announcer isn't good. I've had the privilege of going around to a lot of venues over the years watching friends of mine play and let me tell you our guy, Dave I think is his name is a class act with a great voice! There's a reason people keep talking about the Mabee Center having one of if not the Best Basketball Atmosphere in Oklahoma and he is part of it! I think he does a great job. My wife and I are big fans and love his WHOOP WHOOP each game. LOL the guy is great! Plus who doesn't love a little sing along to sweet Caroline! 

neil-diamond-jack-black.gif

Edited by Roll Eags New Era

On 11/23/2023 at 8:33 AM, Along For The Ride said:

Perhaps you should make that known to the game entertainment staff. 

We have to remember this is probably part of the job they have him doing. It's different than other places that's for sure, but I think it's fine! He's not hindering the game. 

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Curious looking back at posts from these newly-bred sunshine-pumpers and seeing just how many times they refer to themselves as "we" in defending every single Athletic Department policy and procedure.

Methinks they doth protest too much.  (Google it)

Here's a thought:  if you insist on taking part in the conversation, try authoring your own posts with something original and thought-provoking for everyone to discuss, as opposed to lurking under your cyberbridge for the sole purpose of trolling FAN posts on a FAN forum.

P.S. For the record:  despite references to my age as a possible explanation, I actually enjoy PA hype, loud music, fun contests, and a festive atmosphere. 

As a former ORU Director of Game Ops and Golden Eagle Club Executive Director, I'm proud to say I actually served a small role in instilling a number of promotions and traditions that are still in place on ORU Game Nights. 

I even did two years of PA as a Sports Marketing intern for Athletics, so I really do have some appreciation for what the job entails, juggling announcements and promotions while trying to communicate the details of the action on the court/field in an efficient and professional way.  Heck, I used to write the game scripts for the PA announcers for men's and women's basketball!

Which is why I simply can't, as suggested, "sit back and enjoy it" when it's done poorly.

As with ALL my so-called "complaining" here on ORUSports.com, I just think there are times where ORU could DO BETTER, and not get in the habit of accepting mediocrity in the guise of supporting the program.

And, if in the final analysis that makes me a grumpy old "ORU lifer" (as one of these retorts derisively described it) then I proudly say:  "Guilty as charged!" 😘

You want to hear something thought provoking? How about supporting the team and admin rather than getting on here and bashing everything else. Despite, your thoughts on the PA Announcer, how about looking at it through an objective lens instead of out of anger because the former PA announcer got relieved of his duties...

I may be new, but I've been around a long time at these games. ALSO if ORU is as "mediocre" as you so claim ORU is we would be Tulsa. Love ya Old Grump. 🙂  See ya tomorrow! 

Veteran participants on this forum currently ROFLTAO at the suggestion my opinions have something to do with "the former PA announcer getting relieved of his duties".  #IYKYK

watching arrested development GIF

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Roll Eags New Era said:

Plus who doesn't love a little sing along to sweet Caroline! 

neil-diamond-jack-black.gif

Me. So tiresome...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1