PA Announcer

Old Titan

A guest of mine, an alumnus attending his first game in years, at one point in the game asked me if a carried a gun. 

When I asked him why, he said “Because if that guy screams ‘LEMME HEAR YA!!’ or ‘LETS GET LOUD!!’ one more time, I’m gonna blow my brains out.”

Actually, I made that up.

Truth be told, he DID politely express his displeasure about the incessant haranguing, albeit in a more civil manner.

It was in fact ME that in response inquired about the gun… 😉

Not Listening Friends Tv GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

A guest of mine, an alumnus attending his first game in years, at one point in the game asked me if a carried a gun. 

When I asked him why, he said “Because if that guy screams ‘LEMME HEAR YA!!’ or ‘LETS GET LOUD!!’ one more time, I’m gonna blow my brains out.”

Actually, I made that up.

Truth be told, he DID politely express his displeasure about the incessant haranguing, albeit in a more civil manner.

It was in fact ME that in response inquired about the gun… 😉

Not Listening Friends Tv GIF

I found it annoying watching the broadcast in the comfort of my family room, 1500 miles away.  I can't imagine (nor do I want to) what it would be like in person at the Mabee Center.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I don’t mind it too much when I’m there (I wasn’t there today). 

I think they’re trying for a more “NBA-style” atmosphere. Some of it is good (I liked the “whoop-whoop” after threes last year) but some of it can be too much. I am someone who is very interested in the game. To me, the game is the entertainment, although I do enjoy the pep band a lot. 

However, I was recently at the Thunder preseason game in Tulsa with someone who had never been to any sort of basketball game before. The NBA allows music and sound effects while the game is going on, which I think is too much. I mentioned we should go to an ORU game because in my opinion it’s the best place to see a basketball game anywhere in the state, if not the country. I also mentioned that in a college game, they don’t allow the music and stuff while they’re playing.

However, this person’s perspective was that the music added to the experience and made it more fun. It makes me wonder if there are more people like that. People who enjoy the atmosphere and the constant activity during timeouts just as much as the game itself. 

Anyways, to get back on topic, Generally, I think the PA announcer is very good and he does a good job. 

• Upvote 1

It's not my desire to be critical, but I did find the PA announcer more annoying than usual last night.  I don't need to be told, "Get on your feet!!" The game itself will make me do that, and if it doesn't, no announcer will get me to do it!!

Overall, though, I enjoyed the atmosphere last night. I thought the music and activities were a good thing. lots going on all the time. I would think that that kind of environment would be more attractive to marginal fans. I can understand how some might have thought it too frenetic, however. 

It seemed to me like there were more people in the stands that were passe about the game than usual. That may have been because of the level of competition (which, in reality, was pretty good), the point in the season, and/or Homecoming, with a lot of folks in town that don't normally follow the team.

• Upvote 2

6002 in attendance last night has to he largest homecoming crowd in a long time? Impressive crowd for an unimpressive performance. Take Missouri St and give the points on Monday Night...🫢

It certainly was a nice crowd.

And though I’m sure the ranks were swelled by alumni and some otherwise fair-weather students due to Homecoming, I can attest that a good number of people were also in attendance due to ORU’s recent success, consistent entertainment value, and affordability.

(Such as the family of five who spoke no English as I shouted over the band that THEY WERE IN MY SEATS!!)

t-rex GIF

• Haha 2

I absolutely HATE the loud PA.  I know I am not alone.  A freshman student said several of her friends who went to Mabee Madness weren't going back because it was TOO LOUD.

I think the volume level varies by where your seats are.  Perhaps we should move???

I will still go to the games, but I think I will invest in some earplugs.

• Like 1

Not a fan. Announce the game… quit inserting yourself into the contest. He makes me cringe. 

• Like 1

It’s like a bad lounge act.

I get that the “hype PA” approach so prevalent these days in college and professional basketball is not aimed at my demographic, but his act is just so bad that it transcends age, gender, race, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

I absolutely HATE the loud PA.  I know I am not alone.  A freshman student said several of her friends who went to Mabee Madness weren't going back because it was TOO LOUD.

I think the volume level varies by where your seats are.  Perhaps we should move???

I will still go to the games, but I think I will invest in some earplugs.

I have been told that Chapel praise & worship is unbearably loud. I hope these freshmen aren’t also using this excuse to skip chapel. Don’t get me wrong, I have hearing aids and don’t like any place that is too noisy, but I love the basketball games, so at the Mabee Center I just grin and bear it, even though they keep flashing super bright lights in my eyes. Unfortunately, I could not go to the game last night, or any of the homecoming festivities, although it’s my 50th class reunion. While I was at the UTA game, the Texans gave me a gift: COVID-19.

I don't mind the "Whoop Whoop" on made threes because that's something that has caught on and the crowd participates. But I completely agree with @tmh8286 here:

5 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

I don't need to be told, "Get on your feet!!" The game itself will make me do that, and if it doesn't, no announcer will get me to do it!!

• Like 1

Maybe it’s what Tim Johnson wants and he likes it. Some of us here are close to Tim and sit on the GEC board.

Im sure he and other staffers have gotten feedback. Why don’t we just wait and see what happens the next few home games. 

I would agree with the people who say the volume is too loud. It’s probably the same students running the sound at Mabee Center that run it at chapel (I could be wrong, I don’t have a clue). The volume is probably not the way anyone wants it except for the sound guy. I don’t know if it’s an issue where they think that they need concert-level volume for the games or if they just can’t hear very well. 

I’ve also noticed the volume is different depending on the seats you’re in. Most sound systems are that way. However, it seems that the Mabee Center sound system may be worse than normal. The system seems to mainly cover the sides of the lower sections, and doesn’t really cover the ends or upper sections. So the sound can be wonky in the corner sections I’ve noticed (student area and the cheap seats).

• 2 weeks later...

While the PA announcer remains an irritant for me and those fans around me, this comment is more about “game operations“ in general.

It seems unfair and unnecessary coming out of the locker room at halftime to have the lights out and more smoke blowing to welcome our team back to the court when the other team is warming up and shooting in the dark!  Haven’t we already “been there and done that?“ Let’s save it for the next game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ttowncount said:

While the PA announcer remains an irritant for me and those fans around me, this comment is more about “game operations“ in general.

It seems unfair and unnecessary coming out of the locker room at halftime to have the lights out and more smoke blowing to welcome our team back to the court when the other team is warming up and shooting in the dark!  Haven’t we already “been there and done that?“ Let’s save it for the next game.

It did seem a little weird that just as our oppenents were coming onto the floor after the halftime break the lights went out!! You could tell they were kind of looking around and at each other, wondering what was going on!! I was kind of wondering the same thing!!

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:
1 hour ago, ttowncount said:

It did seem a little weird that just as our oppenents were coming onto the floor after the halftime break the lights went out!! You could tell they were kind of looking around and at each other, wondering what was going on!! I was kind of wondering the same thing!!

Counterpoint: TSU's shooting cooled off considerably in the second half, so interrupting their halftime warmups worked! Home court advantage.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2