A couple points of interest regarding women's basketball

tmh8286

Fans of the Golden Eagles women's team may remember Bo Overton, the UMKC women's coach.  According to the Mid-Con web site, he's resigned his position as head coach of the Lady Kangaroos, effective immediately, to take a job as head coach and GM of the WNBA's Chicago Sky.  He leaves them with a season record of 2-9.  Here's a brief article:

UMKC's Overton Takes Job with WNBA Chicago Sky

UMKC women's basketball coach Bo Overton announced his immediate resignation as the head coach with the Kangaroo women's basketball program Monday. Overton is leaving UMKC to pursue an opportunity as the general manager and head coach with the Chicago Sky of the WNBA.

Overton finishes his career at UMKC with a 22-47 record in two plus seasons with the Kangaroos. In his first season at UMKC, Overton led his team to the first Mid-Con Championship game in school history as a No. 7 seed.

Overton-colorUMKC.jpg

The other point of interest is regarding the Western Illinois Westerwinds, the team my family has hosted during the past two Mid-Con Tournaments.  The Westerwinds have been the regular season champs for the past four years in a row.  But after graduating three starters, including their 6'7", two-time Mid-Con POY center, Zane Teilane (who now plays in the WNBA), they are currently sitting on a record of 1-8 on the season, and are in last place in the Mid-Con (based on non-conference win/loss record).  That can't be sitting well with their head coach, Leslie Crane, who has a reputation as a fierce competitor but has been very nice to me and my family.

AHSENBDBJIQTAYT.20061010190709.jpg

She only broke one section - it's not like she broke the whole thing.  Give the coach a break!

I was at that game, by the way, and remember that "event".  Pretty unbelievable.

(For those not knowing what we're talking about, three or four years ago when Western Illinois was playing at ORU, a frustrated Westerwind, while coming off the court, hauled off and kicked the scorers table, which has the rotating advertisements along the front side.  The advertising mechanism in the section that she kicked was broken, ceased to work, and had to be repaired.  My recollection is that the player, not Coach Crane, did the kicking.)

Was that a rhetorical question, mom?  I think you know the answer, and I think you know the result.  I just didn't want to bring that up!

Nobody happier than orumom about MikeMinyard's new job - isn't that right, mom?

Nobody happier than orumom about MikeMinyard's new job - isn't that right, mom?

TMH,  Just the night before he had talked to us about how he & Chad were taking a team that had only one 3 games the year before to one that is winning the games they should & some that no one expected, plus looking at plans to build a $4m basketball facility. We were talking North Carolina state tournament....

When ORUblue & I got Mike's call yesterday morning, no one could have been more surprised or elated than we were!

Mike has always loved ORU:

-He attended from before he was born & has only missed a handful of games in his life, until this year.

-started young with 3 years as a ball boy

-built unofficial website at 13 & was recruited by Mike Carter to set up the official site during an internship & while in media relations

-4 years in media relations

-soccer SID

-3 years as student assistant coach to Scott Sutton

To us, without sounding too syrupy, it feels like his taking the position as Marketing Director -ticket sales, is "coming home."

If I'm correct you have known Mike through all those stages  :-)

OK!...OK!

That's about as much sentimental mushiness that I can take.

Oh no, my recollection is the Coach Crane, not the player, did the kicking!

I can't say for sure - I thought it was the other way around.  One thing I've learned over time is my "crystal clear" memories aren't always accurate, so I could be wrong. 

Anybody else remember the incident?

It was the player from what I remember.  I was sitting at press row that game.  I'm pretty sure it was a player.  I think the coach did do something that drew some attention in that game too.

P.S.- I've had enough mushiness too

I remember that game (and the consequent discussion about it on the message board, which was like 3 message boards ago back then) like it was yesterday. It was the last home game of the regular season for the women back during my freshman year, so it was I think late February of 2002. One of their guards (I think Tugba Palagzolu? (sp) ) fouled out. She thought it was her fourth foul, but it was actually her fifth, and she was pretty steamed about it. I think she might've started crying, she walked off the court and kicked the sign on her way by. The student section was larger that day because it was the last home game of the year for them, and a lot of them started singing "If you're mad and you know it, kick a sign!" *Clap Clap*. I believe Western won that game, consequently.

Mike has always loved ORU:

-He attended from before he was born & has only missed a handful of games in his life, until this year.

-started young with 3 years as a ball boy

-built unofficial website at 13 & was recruited by Mike Carter to set up the official site during an internship & while in media relations

-4 years in media relations

-soccer SID

-3 years as student assistant coach to Scott Sutton

And let's not forget he earned a degree!

:|

I remember that game (and the consequent discussion about it on the message board, which was like 3 message boards ago back then) like it was yesterday. It was the last home game of the regular season for the women back during my freshman year, so it was I think late February of 2002. One of their guards (I think Tugba Palagzolu? (sp) ) fouled out. She thought it was her fourth foul, but it was actually her fifth, and she was pretty steamed about it. I think she might've started crying, she walked off the court and kicked the sign on her way by. The student section was larger that day because it was the last home game of the year for them, and a lot of them started singing "If you're mad and you know it, kick a sign!" *Clap Clap*. I believe Western won that game, consequently.

Exactly right.

WIU sucking it up brings JOY to my heart.

When I came to ORU as a freshman in 1989, Bo was a grad assistant under Trickey.

Bo is a bright guy. Good personality. An OK coach. Would have thought his UMKC record would have been better. Other than the run in the conference tourney his first year, he hasn't done much. Perplexing hire by the pro team. I guess it proves the old saying.....it's not what you know, it's who you know.

voice, I didn't know you were the same age as me.  Pretty sad, we didn't know each other at ORU. oh well.  freshman in 89 here too.  Those were the lean years of ORU b-ball huh?  other than the shoot everytime you had the ball greg sutton and our trip to the NAIA championships (yipeee).  I don't remember when Bo was here.  I was a young stupid kid though.