ORU Courtside Countdown

ORUTerry

The ORU Courtside Countdown is Thursday, November 2nd at the Global Learning Center. The event starts at 6:00. They will have items available through a silent auction and then larger items will be sold via a live auction. If you can’t make the event, here is a link to participate in the auctions:

https://m.charityauctionstoday.com/m/auctions/39913

I was there last night. Did any of you attend? I'd be interested in hearing what you thought about it. I wish it could have been held in the arena instead of the GLC, but I know there was a conflict with the volleyball game.

40 minutes ago, titansforever said:

I was there last night. Did any of you attend? I'd be interested in hearing what you thought about it. I wish it could have been held in the arena instead of the GLC, but I know there was a conflict with the volleyball game.

We attended the courtside countdown dinner last night and sat at Josh and Kelsey Musick's table. What a neat couple! Kelsey's energy is contagious and you can tell she is a very genuine individual. She has 10 new girls on the team so I gave her a new nickname....Coach Primette! She and her staff appear to have done a good job of recruiting this year and she has some really good talent coming in next year. They are predicted 5th in the conference but my prediction is they will be considerably higher. Both Gentry Baldwin a freshman from Bixby and Isaac McBride did a really good job speaking and representing the school! Coach Springman as usual spoke well and there is a sense that it may take some games but this team will be good. Kareem Thompson told me that Josh Jones will be a starter and that he is the smartest freshman he has ever played with. He said his decision making, passing, defense and shooting around the paint is good. Sir Isaac told me is 100% healthy and he feels like he is really being developed under Springman's leadership. Several of the players mentioned how they feel connected with Springman and how good he is at developing young men in all areas. Mike Case was in attendance last night and Tim Johnson mentioned the financial impact he has made in ORU. Overall I think they raised a good amount of $ during the auctions. It is always fun to watch people try to out bid one another! Even though we all know it is not perfect at ORU I always walk away from the event with a feeling of how special ORU is and that there is no place quite like it! I am curious Titansforever your take on the evening?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It was crowded in the GLC, but a great event.  We sat with Sir Isaac and Annyka Hellendrung from Wisconsin.  Sir Isaac said he has put on 15 pounds this year.  He is a very nice young man.

One thing that was great this year is that the players were there early and seemed to be tasked with talking with the attendees.  That was different and very enjoyable!!

It was nice seeing some new bidders.  I didn't feel like I had to buy things I didn't want or need.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

For those of you who went, was anyone injured (walking with crutches, arm sling, etc).  I ask because it seems that usually 1 or 2 are injured that we do not find about until tip off on opening night (i.e. Sir Isaac last year).

I don't recall seeing anyone who looked injured. I think a couple of players either weren't there, or came late. They called them all up on stage, one by one, and a couple were missing. (Am I remembering right?)

• Like 1

With no intrasqaud scrimmage and no exhibition games, I can't recall ever knowing so little about an ORU roster just 72 hours before the first game tip-off, which leaves us to taking roll at the preseason banquet and checking for orthopedic slings and boots for just the tiniest shred of insight.

Here's what we know:  we've got Issac, Kareem, DJ and a whole bunch of question marks (and, yes, I'm including returning upperclassman Trey Phipps in that bunch:  do we really know where his game is at right now?). 

We don't know how anyone is playing, we don't know where or when they will be playing, and we don't even know what style of basketball they will be playing under Russell Springmann.

Monday night is the ultimate coming out party for this team and staff; it's anybody's guess what we will see and any outcome will be something of a surprise.

• Upvote 2

Were you there last night, OT? I didn't see you, but it was hard to find anyone in the crowd.

2 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Were you there last night, OT? I didn't see you, but it was hard to find anyone in the crowd.

I was not. 

My dear little Mom turned 88 yesterday.  I told her I would bring her ANYTHING SHE WANTED for dinner last night; she should spare no expense on her special day.

So of course she chose a real delicacy:  Honey Walnut Shrimp from Panda Express. #smh 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I was not. 

My dear little Mom turned 88 yesterday.  I told her I would bring her ANYTHING SHE WANTED for dinner last night; she should spare no expense on her special day.

So of course she chose a real delicacy:  Honey Walnut Shrimp from Panda Express. #smh 🤣

You are a good son, OT.

I would have chosen Chicken Fried Rice from Wang Wang! 

14 minutes ago, titansforever said:

You are a good son, OT.

I would have chosen Chicken Fried Rice from Wang Wang! 

I live right around the corner from Wang Wang.  Fantastic cheese wontons.  But they need to bring back the Pad Thai!

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

I live right around the corner from Wang Wang.  Fantastic cheese wontons.  But they need to bring back the Pad Thai!

I shouldn't have mentioned Wang Wang. Now I'm thinking, stop and get dinner....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, titansforever said:

I shouldn't have mentioned Wang Wang. Now I'm thinking, stop and get dinner....

Way ahead of you...

Driving Season 3 GIF by Law & Order

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

It was crowded in the GLC, but a great event.  We sat with Sir Isaac and Annyka Hellendrung from Wisconsin.  Sir Isaac said he has put on 15 pounds this year.  He is a very nice young man.

One thing that was great this year is that the players were there early and seemed to be tasked with talking with the attendees.  That was different and very enjoyable!!

It was nice seeing some new bidders.  I didn't feel like I had to buy things I didn't want or need.  🙂

Last year, the players seemed to wait until the last minute before the event started before they came to the table to sit down. 

17 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Way ahead of you...

Driving Season 3 GIF by Law & Order

Maybe they should be a sponsor of ORU Basketball. 🙂 

Lots of fun at the Courtside Countdown but you (OT) ate better than we did…

Coach Bill Annan and Taleyah Jones (xfer from UT-Arlington and BA high school) sat at our table. Both great people. 

The women have 10 new players - lots of height and I’ve been told some really good shooters. 

Kareem Thompson and Isaac McBride joined Coach Springman in discussing the upcoming season. Springman was general in his comments. McBride is always well spoken and said the team has good chemistry and needs to stay together in order to follow up last year’s success. Thompson was asked which game he was looking forward to playing this year and he said all the teams that ducked us the last few years and now agreed to play us thinking we are an easy win.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

If Issac runs for President someday, I'm definitely voting for him. This is a man who will accomplish whatever he sets his mind to.

I loved what Kareem said when Scott Higgins asked him about the TU game. He said something like, "Well, all I know is that we haven't lost since I've been here." That got a good laugh! 

• Like 1