Best ORU Season Ever

TrueBlue82

There are many who could be named individually as great athletes at ORU, but for the greatest I would suggest taking a look at Mike Moore in baseball.  He was not only an All American but was the very first player drafted in the 1981 MLB Draft.  He pitched 14 seasons in the  majors and in 1989 his Oakland team beat San Francisco in 4 games to win the World Series with Mike starting and winning 2 of those 4 games as the pitcher for the "A's".  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

I appreciate the input of everyone - especially the comments regarding the ORU Volleyball Elite Eight team of 1995.  A 30-3 season, NCAA tourney invite, two tourney wins against ranked opponents on the road, and finishing in the Elite Eight is very impressive.  This team DEFINITELY belongs on the list of contenders.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Honestly.....the 1973-74 Men's Basketball Team has to be at the top of this list....what school has ever gotten to the ELITE EIGHT in their 10th year of existence and 3rd year in D-1??...answer....NOBODY.....agree that the 2020-21 Mens Basketball and 2023 Mens Baseball Teams achieved amazing results......but......TheEagleman still thinks its a no brainer.....TITANS.....TITANS!!!:circle-logoi:

• Like 1

That’s a fantastic post, with several great points.  I agree with you…

Rob

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

That’s a fantastic post, with several great points.  I agree with you…

Rob

Still have your baseball signed by the 78 baseball team, Rob?

TheEagleman does not agree....and that's Bill GLASSON not Gleason......billglasson | Golfweek

21 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

Still have your baseball signed by the 78 baseball team, Rob?

Hey, Doc!  No, sir. I donated it back to Mike Carter & Coach Folmar 4-5 years ago, to do with it as they saw fit.  I was hoping it would make its way to a Hall of Fame trophy case and be displayed for others to see along with other ORU memorabilia in the Mabee Center.  Unfortunately, I never heard back from the anyone in the AD but, with the help of @Sterns78 I was able to learn the ball was received and is on a shelf in Folmar’s office. It was a huge relief because when no one acknowledged receipt or replied to my letter, I assumed it was lost in the mail. Glad to know it’s home where it belongs! I’d like to think it’s now at least sitting beside a 22-23 team signed ball.  There’s quite a few of the new version but as far as I know my ball (fouled by Bill Springman, May 11, 1978 vs. Iowa State) and signed by the entire team is truly one-of-a kind. 

Rob

image.png

• Like 4

The design to build the best basketball teams (70s withstanding) has been to find 1 or 2 all time top players and build around them:

80s: Mark Acres and company

90s: Pretty quiet, rebuild era

00s: Caleb Green and Ken Tutt

10s: DoMo and Company

20s: Max and KO

Who will be the future 1 or 2 all time greats that Coach Springmann can build into a championship team?

• Like 1

Btw, how about the CWS ticket stub showing $2.50 for a reserved seat at Rosenblatt….

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ORob1 said:

Hey, Doc!  No, sir. I donated it back to Mike Carter & Coach Folmar 4-5 years ago, to do with it as they saw fit.  I was hoping it would make its way to a Hall of Fame trophy case and be displayed for others to see along with other ORU memorabilia in the Mabee Center.  Unfortunately, I never heard back from the anyone in the AD but, with the help of @Sterns78 I was able to learn the ball was received and is on a shelf in Folmar’s office. It was a huge relief because when no one acknowledged receipt or replied to my letter, I assumed it was lost in the mail. Glad to know it’s home where it belongs! I’d like to think it’s now at least sitting beside a 22-23 team signed ball.  There’s quite a few of the new version but as far as I know my ball (fouled by Bill Springmann, May 11, 1978 vs. Iowa State) and signed by the entire team is truly one-of-a kind. 

Rob

image.png

From the point of view of die-hard ORU fans, that ball is priceless. I WISH the Athletic Department had recognized the significance of it and put it a more prominent place, but I'm very glad to know that it is in the hands of someone that can appreciate it, and NOT in the hands of some sports memorabilia dealer on Ebay. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 10/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

The design to build the best basketball teams (70s withstanding) has been to find 1 or 2 all time top players and build around them:

80s: Mark Acres and company

90s: Pretty quiet, rebuild era

00s: Caleb Green and Ken Tutt

10s: DoMo and Company

20s: Max and KO

Who will be the future 1 or 2 all time greats that Coach Springmann can build into a championship team?

Pretty sure the 93-97 run with Bill Self was special. Tim Gill in the HOF, Earl Mcclellan and Bill Self started this last 23 year run. Beat numerous Top 25 teams and got back to the postseson for the first time in a long time. That is a biased take of course. 🙂

• Like 4

On 10/8/2023 at 12:49 AM, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman does not agree....and that's Bill GLASSON not Gleason......billglasson | Golfweek

I know the phone just changed it

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kruse 33 said:

Pretty sure the 93-97 run with Bill Self was special. Tim Gill in the HOF, Earl Mcclellan and Bill Self started this last 23 year run. Beat numerous Top 25 teams and got back to the postseson for the first time in a long time. That is a biased take of course. 🙂

That team is special to me because it was the catalyst for my coming back to ORU games. The Arkansas game is the loudest I think I have ever heard the Mabee Center. Lots of special players on that squad. 

• Upvote 2

I still remember that 86-81 win over the Razorbacks.  What a fun game that was with many hog fans in the Mabee Center.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
On 10/2/2023 at 2:54 PM, OKC Eagle said:

1995.  Beat Loyola Marymount in the first round and Washington in the Sweet 16, both at those teams' home gyms.  Then they ran into the Stanford buzzsaw. There were also a bunch of California girls on the bench (I married one of them), a heck of a middle hitter from Nebraska, and the real glue was the setter from Colorado (I think).  But, the international girls are what made it happen, including a 6'3" 220lb middle hitter who was terrifying to play against even on an 8 foot net.

Where can I find the names of the ladies on that '95 team? There's an anniversary coming up! Thanks for your help.